“Disappointing, food and menu choices could be much better”
Review of Robert Irvine's Nosh - CLOSED

Robert Irvine's Nosh
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We love Eat on HHI so we were anxious to try this. We stopped in for lunch. The choice was ok, the food disappointing. I had the fried fish, which should have been great. The sweet potato chips were below average. The Cornerstone Grill was previously there and was Michael better and a little less expensive. A good place to skip,.

2  Thank Lanncasey
There are newer reviews for Robert Irvine's Nosh

Reviewed January 5, 2013

It was our first time going and we were very pleased. We split their pimento cheese fries. They were awesome! That could have been a meal by itself. However, we wanted to try Mr. Irvine's cuisine. For starters, I had the Cesar salad which was the only disappointment. It was flavorless and tasted more like plain vinegar and water. :-(

I ordered shrimp and cheese grits with collards. Excellent choice. Mainly the shrimp were seasoned to perfection. The collards were a little sweet (it's a southern thing) and placed in the middle of the grits and gave a very nice presentation. My friend ordered the special which was a turkey burger with cornbread dressing and cranberry sauce. She said it was excellent. Their super thin onion rings are unique and the best we've had anywhere. They taste like onions without a lot of breading. For desert it was bread pudding with ice cream. I'll order it again but without the caramel sauce which made it too sweet for my taste.

The portions are quite generous and pricing is very reasonable. We will go back again and I am glad to highly recommend NOSH.

2  Thank Kriskmiecik
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We loved our visit to Nosh. The food was incredible - the Buffalo Shrimp and the Fish & Chips were our favorite. We will definitely be back on our next visit to Hilton Head.

2 things to consider:

The restaurant is located right in the middle of the Tanger Outlet Malls. So, just know that going in. We love the location because we can stop for lunch in the middle of shopping, but this may throw some customers off if they are looking for a freestanding restaurant.

Second, each time we've been there the service has been average to slow. We are rarely in a rush to get anywhere, but we've noticed that at different times the service has not been speedy.

All in all, it's worth a trip!

1  Thank Matt B
Reviewed December 28, 2012

The restaurant is very nice looking, and my meal was good, but after watching Restaurant: Impossible I was expecting a better experience.

The staff in general seemed to be going through the motions and did not seem friendly or especially helpful. After we were seated by a hostess that seemed less than happy with her job we waited a few minutes before our server came by to get our drink orders. When I asked what soft drinks they had, instead of just listing them the waitress reached across the table, and my son, to flip my menu over to the back to point out the soft drink section nestled oddly between beer and wine. Maybe some people would prefer this, but to me it came across as condescending and rude.

While looking over the menu, my wife and I were underwhelmed. While the prices seemed reasonable, I was hoping for more unique meal options than what were offered. It mostly comes down to Salads, and a variety of burgers. Some of this disappointment may have come from me not knowing that Nosh is intended to be more scaled down than eat! for instance, but left me wanting more anyway.

When we ordered our meals, my wife asked to swap out the provolone cheese on her burger for cheddar cheese, which was offered on some other burgers and the waitress told her it would be an extra $3 charge. This seemed an exorbitant fee to swap cheeses, so she decided against it. After our orders had been in for a couple of minutes my wife remembered she forgot to ask to not have butter on her bun and asked the waitress if she could do anything about that. The waitress told us that it was probably already too late, but after further prodding said she would check on it. She then came back a couple minutes later and asked us what it was she was supposed to be checking on. When we reminded her it was about the butter she seemed much more willing this time to talk to the kitchen about it, even though more time had already passed. This was good, but also seemed strange because she seemed to think it was already too late minutes before. We didn't ever get any confirmation from her if she had talked to the kitchen about it or not, which would have been nice. When another person later brought out or food to us, my wife asked him if the bun had butter on it and he seemed to have no idea and went into the kitchen to ask. When he came out he told us that the kitchen yelled at him for asking and told him that it did not have butter. He said it in a joking manner, but it was slightly awkward. On the plus side, when the burger came out it had cheddar instead of provolone, and we weren't charged the extra money for the change, though the waitress later told us she "begged the kitchen" to swap it, which just seemed like fishing for tips. Neither of these things were major issues, but in addition to slow drink refills just gave us the impression of an unprofessional waitstaff and made the dining experience uncomfortable.

I ordered the Lamb and Beef "Gyro" burger, and it was delicious. I don't remember exactly what my wife had, but it was another burger and she enjoyed it as well. The children's plates were odd in that my 5 year old got the pizza and he liked it, but it wasn't much food, and my 2 year old got the burger, which seemed like it was the same proportion as the regular entree burgers. If you have older children, I recommend the burger for them. The french fries that came with the burgers (but not the pizza), were average. I was really looking forward to some good homemade fries after the attention that Irvine gives to fries on his show, but it would not surprise me to learn that Nosh uses frozen fries.

Finally, a weird thing happened as we were paying our bill. Our total came to $32 and some change, and my wife mistakenly put 3 $20s in with the check. While waiting on our change she realized her mistake. When the change came back there was $18 returned to us. When we mentioned the extra money she was seemed apologetic and admitted to being confused. At that time I was trying to give her the benefit of the doubt since we were the ones who made the initial mistake. She then took the check and the change, walked a few steps away from the table as if she was head to the register, but then quickly turned around and came back and just pulled the $10 from what appeared to be her tips. She may not have had any evil intentions, but the fact that the $10 ended up in her tips seemed odd. If she just made a counting error it would seem the extra money would have been in the register instead, since we had asked for our change. It certainly may have been an honest mistake, but by that point my experience had been tainted to the point of being unpleasant anyway, so it just seemed like one more weird thing.

In short,
Pros: Decor, Entrees, Price
Cons: Service, Fries, Menu Variety

I want to go back sometime to see if it is better, but when I do, I will have drastically lowered my expectations.

1  Thank Sam H
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We went because we've met Chef Irvine, in a parking lot at Harbortown, and watch him on TV. Oh, and we were at the outlet mall where Nosh is located and were hungry. I don't know what I was expecting. I mean he tears other restaurant owners apart on his show so it should be at least good right?

Well, it was more than good, it was great. Everything from the Caesar Salad to the Buffalo Wings to the Chef Salad were spot on and showed meticulous care in preparation. The flavors were as perfect as you could expect, delicious, balanced and perfectly executed. The one weird thing was the consistency of the chicken in the Caesar Salad. It was very moist and well done but after years of dried-out overly cooked chicken on salads I think that I was unprepared for the moist and well seasoned chicken that was set before me. I mention it only because the perfection in those pieces of chicken caused me to pause and actually think about what I was eating.

The ambiance for a corner store in an outlet mall was wonderful with reclaimed wood everywhere and a mantle over the fireplace that was a work of art. Repurposed window frames as screens and shutters and old painted wood used to give texture to otherwise bland retail box walls. Drinks are served in Mason Jars.

A great time and priced right.

1  Thank Travelsabi