“I loved my room, but not the silverfish in the tub. Happy Anniversary!”

Candlewood Suites Bluffton-Hilton Head
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Bluffton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Atlanta, GA
“I loved my room, but not the silverfish in the tub. Happy Anniversary!”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This hotel was really a good hotel, inside and out, and in a wonderful location for the price, but there were just too many little things that weren't quite right that gave me that lingering feeling of discontent. On an up note, the room was wonderfully cozy and comfy. This was an anniversary trip for us, so it meant a lot. We have 8 children, a family business and I work full time so we only get away once a year. First, the third night I went to open the shower curtain and saw a silverfish crawling in the tub. Second, I smelled a strong odor and we started to look for the smell and found it--under the sink in the kitchen. There was a small trashcan. It had never been emptied from who knows when. The odor was fishy. I almost threw up when I had to pick it up and set it outside the room door. Housekeeping did not pick it up right away. The "Cupboard" is a good idea, but we ended up at Walgreen's and Food Lion anyway. If you are allergic to animal dander, this is not the best hotel for you. My husband has asthma and I have allergies. We smelled cigarette smoke too, so we couldn't stop sneezing. Also, first time in this part of South Carolina nobody seemed to know anything at the desk. And while none of the employees were outright mean, they seemed really bored with working that front desk. DEFINITELY NEED SHUTTLE TO DROP OFF AND PICK UP IN HILTON HEAD. WE WOULD HAVE GLADLY PAID TO NOT HAVE TO LOOK FOR PARKING FOR 2 HOURS.

Green Features: I think in theory these are good goals to have for a hotel. I was told that I needed to take my own overfull trashcan to the dumpster by the pool! Maybe I'm the only one, but I think your vacation experience should be a little different from your day to day routine at home...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RoschAtlanta_GA
Marcel B, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Bluffton-Hilton Head, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you for your comments RoschAtlanta_GA.

We apologize you experienced some issues with our hotel. This is the first we are hearing of the issues in your room, so rest assured we will bring this to our housekeeping department's attention.
As stated online and on all our literature, Candlewood Suites are pet friendly. Every room goes through a "deep clean" when all our furry friends leave the premisis. Since some of our rooms are smoking rooms, you will find people smoking outside the hotel and in their designated smoking rooms. All our front desk associates have been at this property for quite some time so I'm not sure which information they didn't have answers for you. We always refer people to shuttles when they come in the area should the requests arise, but being a half an hour away from the beaches, we don't have an intention to purchase a shuttle for this property, but wil keep the request in mind.

Thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Not very clean, our first room had stained sheets, a stained chair and stained carpet. It also smelled terrible. We went to front desk and got a different room. The second room had a plastic, empty flattened vodka bottle under the mattress (found when checking for bedbugs) and a tin of chaw. Finding these items told us they don’t bother to check for bedbugs. We took them to the front desk and gave them to the asst. mgr. Many apologies were given. We went to dinner and when we came back there was an apology card under the door and we were comped the first night’s stay. Nice of them, but we would have preferred the rooms be clean…

Thursday morning we got a wake up call at 5:00am that we did not ask for. This place just gets worse…

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Krytter
Marcel B, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Bluffton-Hilton Head, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for your comments Krytter.

I believe you had discussed this issue with our Assistant General Manager Bryon, who inspected the room after you were moved. This appears to be an isolated incident as a predominant amount of guests usually rave about our cleanliness and service. Should your travels bring you back to our area, we would love to prove that to you.

Thank you.
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Have you even been shocked when you saw the inside of a hotel because the outside looked spectacular and the inside was disappointing? Well, this is a place where the outside is just so-so and the inside is just wonderful.

The room is huge. The kitchenette part has a full-sized refrigerator, a two-burner stove, granite countertops in kitchen and the bath, microwave, full complement of dinnerware. A recliner and two comfortable queen-sized beds. They have a really pretty "desk," which serves a dual purpose with chairs on either side so you can sit down and eat or you can use it as a desk with plenty of room to spread out.

The whole property is immaculately clean. The gym is huge with lots of equipment. Videos to check out. Everything.

I am so impressed with the cleanliness, comfort and the staff which earn a 10 star in terms of friendliness,

It is also in a very convenient location.

I would highly recommend this for a quiet,comfortable and convenient place for a vacation. Pets are welcome!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Marcel B, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Bluffton-Hilton Head, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for your kind response Voyageurmonde19!

I'm very pleased you were able to experience all the amenities we have to offer at our fine hotel. We take pride in keeping our hotel inviting and clean for our patrons. We have taken extra steps to ensure our customer service is the best it can be, so I'm glad you found our front desk associates so friendly.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to seeing you in the future.
Chesapeake
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed 6 nights at Candlewood Suites in Bluffton SC near Hilton Head Island this past week. I went to the area of Sun City to attend to the funeral of my Uncle. They gave us a special bereavement pricing. The room was appointed nicely with a full size refrigerator, microwave, stovetop range, dishwasher, disposal and dishes, pots and pans, toaster, coffee maker and more. You can swap out towels and linens any time you want to. They have a free laundry across from a gym. How convienent. The outdoor pool area had a wonderful covered eating area with 2 gas grills and utensils free to use. My children especially loved the onsite Cupboard filled with reasonable priced convenience foods, toiletries, sundries and treats. They also have on demand complimentary hot coffee and teas. We had never stayed at a Candlewood before, but we will now look for this chain in our travels. The front desk customer service was first class and attended to our every request. You will not be sorry. Conveniently located one block from Sun City on 278 headed to Hilton Head Island off of I-95.

Room Tip: For a family of 4 , we were contented with the 2 bed studio. Super large closet to store lots of han...
Green Features: I noticed that unused areas dimmed but when you entered they would light up.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Marcel B, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Bluffton-Hilton Head, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments, Robert G!

We are very pleased that you enjoyed you stay at our hotel. I'm glad you were able to experience all the amenities we offer.

Though your trip wasn't for pleasure (our condolences,) we're happy to know we were able to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

We hope to see you again in the future and thank you again.
Bonita Springs
Reviewed June 4, 2013

This is the first time that my wife and I have stayed in a Candlewood Suites hotel. It was a very good experience. The hotel was very clean and the staff very helpful. The room with the kitchen was very convenient For Bluffton/Hilton Head the price was extremely reasonable and well worth it. They also had a very nice outdoor pool area. The hotel isoughng tgh only 7 miles off of I95 and it does not take long to get to the area golf courses , outlets or other attractions. One thing though-if y ou are using a GPS call the hotel and get the address to use. The listed address will not work. My wife and I will defnately stay here again.

Room Tip: we liked to face the pool area
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jjjj H
Marcel B, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Bluffton-Hilton Head, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you very much for your review Joseph H.

We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us in your visit to the Bluffton- Hilton Head area. Also very happy you chose IHG's Candlewood Suites for your accommodations. We strive for both cleanliness and service excellence and I'm happy you were able to experience this. I'll let our staff know of your comments. Shouldn't be long now for all the GPS companies to update their software and our address and directions will show properly as we've been diligently working on this for a while.

Thank you again Joseph H for your kind words. We'll keep up the good work.
New York
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I was there for 4 weeks. It was a great stay. The Sales Manager came out and made sure I was taken care of upon arrival. The front desk staff was always great and helpful.

The suites had everything you need for a long stay. I was able to cook and make some food to store in the freezer. The rooms were very comfortable and the sleep was great.

The hotel is hear a pharmacy and a supermarket that you can quickly buy stuff from. The gym is a bit small but that is OK for me.

I had a very nice stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Marcel B, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Bluffton-Hilton Head, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for your response MidTMike!

I'm very pleased to know you enjoyed your extended stay with us. I'm glad you were able to experience just about all our amenities. We strive to create a great guest experience and it's nice to know you had one.

Best of luck in the future.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed here for a weekend getwaway for our anniversary. It's about 15 minutes or so from Hilton Head and about 5 miles from the Tanger Outlets. The hotel was very nice and clean. The beds were super comfy and I have no complaints. For the rate and quality, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Marcel B, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Bluffton-Hilton Head, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you for your comments Telesia S!

We're so glad you found our hotel comfortable, clean and our staff pleasant. We strive to be the top choice of hotels in our market and I'm so glad you were able to experience our quality accommodations. Look forward to seeing you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bluffton
Comfort Suites Bluffton
Fairfield Inn & Suites Hilton Head Island Bluffton
Hilton Garden Inn Hilton Head
Hilton Garden Inn Hilton Head
#15 of 28 in Hilton Head

Been to Candlewood Suites Bluffton-Hilton Head? Share your experiences!