“Would not recommend.”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Bluffton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Hello,
We had a party of 11 in 5 different rooms for several nights to attend a USMC graduation. Our room was dirty and smelled extremely musty. Another person in our party was bitten all over while sleeping (apparently bed bugs) and the staff did not want to move them to another room. Another rooms lock malfunctioned and the room could not be accessed for some time. Staff told us they did not have anyone they could call to fix it. The lounge area is extremely small so there was no place to wait but outside when we were meeting to leave for the day. The location is good and there were several good restaurants within walking distance. However, due to the lack of cleanliness and our experience, I would recomend going elsewhere.
A. Hamilton
Pensacola, Fl

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank ajayham
IHGCare, IHGCare at Candlewood Suites Bluffton-Hilton Head, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2012

Dear ajayham,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed July 13, 2012

In town visiting for 2 days and found this hotel. Great deal and close to where we needed to be.

• Stayed: July 2012
Mintha W, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Bluffton-Hilton Head, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

We are very happy you "found" our hotel and thought it was a great deal! We hope you will visit again soon.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

We stayed here last week for just one night before our condo was ready and it was just "OK". There was nothing spectacular about this hotel except for a young front desk clerk who was very helpful when for the 3rd time while checking-in, I had to visit the front desk.

First and foremost, the gave me shoddy directions and the little tiny streets would not show up on my GPS. When we arrived, they gave my brother and I and a friend, 1 Queen bed and basically said, sorry. Finally they got us a room that was OK, but the keys didn't work. As mentioned above the young African American woman at the desk (sorry I missed her name) was a pleasure to work with and apologized, but her partner was not so nice.

The following morning we pretty much missed breakfast and the lovely woman tending to it let us have what was left and we checked out. The room was again, "OK". The most I can say was it was clean and well priced. If I had to, I would stay again...but only if I didn't need to be anywhere on Hilton Head or Bluffton quickly. This hotel is way too far away from everything.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm not sure what happened with the room type, however, if you made your reservation through priceline or another third-party site, specific room types are not guaranteed. I am also confused about your breakfast experience as we do not serve breakfast since we are an extended stay hotel and all of our suites have kitchens. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of assistance.

Reviewed June 21, 2012

Considering the nearby area (Hilton Head), this is a reasonably priced hotel property.And on the inside of the hotel, it is a nice place. The problem, from my perspective, is the first impression I got when arrived. As I drove into the parking lot, I noticed several big pick-up trucks, with trailers attached, and at least one over-the-road tractor. (They parked at the rear, or on the sides of the lot, so they were not blocking traffic.) Then I noticed three or four panel vans; the type used by work crews. And standing around at least two of the vans were groups of three or four men in shorts and tee shirts, hanging out, smoking and drinking beer. Then I went into the entrance to the lobby and noticed a sign that indicated that the interior door to the lobby would be locked at night; and there was a sort of a bank teller window in the wall for the front desk person to use after hours. My first impression was that this was the kind of environment I would expect at some sort of high-risk location near Newark Airport. In fact, security was not an issue, and I like the hotel. However, if I had been travelling with my wife, I can assure you we would not have gotten any farther that the "man-trap" entrance to the lobby.

Room Tip: Call ahead to the hotel and ask for specific driving directions. Local zoning codes are very restric...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank CLT-Homebase
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and we are pleased that you enjoyed the hotel. We hate to hear that you felt we gave a bad first impression upon entering the parking lot. Summer is extremely busy in a resort area and the hotel was sold out while you were here. As an extended stay hotel, we house guests who are relocating, here on business for extended periods, new businesses opening, general contractors as well as Parris Island graduations and leisure guests. We cannot refuse service to guests based on gender, sex, ethnic background, etc. However, we take extreme measures to ensure guest safety and making sure our guests have a pleasurable experience.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

This hotel is away from Bluffton by about 7 miles and the Island even further but it is newer, clean and nicely finished. I enjoyed the stay. The only issue i had was i reserved a special rate that included a "Shop N Flop" package that included a gift card to the Tanger Outlet Centers for just a little more then the regular rate and was a great value.....but it also includes a late checkout of 2pm as stated on the package and their own website when you reserve but the staff here does not seem to be well aware of their own package as the following day i was bothered by the housekeeper 2x even though i told her about it the first time and then again the front desk called me and had no idea also......Not what i had in mind. So just train your staff on your own packages and it would have been a perfect stay! Room was clean and bed very comfy....no complaints.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Mintha W, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Bluffton-Hilton Head, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

Thank you for your review and kind words about your accommodations. I appreciate you informing us of your less than perfect experience and apologize for the inconvenience this caused you. Additional training on our packages will be addressed immediately. Thank you again and we hope to see you next time you are traveling in Bluffton, SC!

Reviewed June 15, 2012

Please note there are pets allowed. This means dogs barking in the hallway. Passing large dogs in the hallway. When we arrived they gave us a room that stank of DOG! They apoligized and gave us a better room. The pool is nice. Very clean hotel and very accomidating. We basicly slept there as we drove to Hilton Head everyday. Nice rooms. Nice to have a kitchen to cook in. Also grills by the pool. At times you could smell other peoples food. But they could probably smell ours too.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Mintha W, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Bluffton-Hilton Head, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. With us being an extended stay hotel, we offer our guests the option of bringing their pet(s) as many of our guests are here for a month or longer. We are pleased that you enjoyed the cleanliness of the hotel and especially the great kitchen! We hope you will visit again when in the area.

Reviewed June 12, 2012

We look for cleanliness, comfort, safety and value. We are not looking for a posh place to be pampered. We found everything we needed. We will without a doubt stay here the next time and every time we visit, until we own a house of our own there. I could not have asked for a better fit tor us and our two little dogs. I will definitely try other Candlewood Suites in other cities as I travel in the future. Like someone else mentioned, being extended stay, they do not change your sheets every day, but who does that at home? It was like having everything you "need" packed into a small space that was cost efficient.

Room Tip: Unless money is not a consideration at all, then stop looking for other places, you will really appr...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Mintha W, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Bluffton-Hilton Head, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2012

Thank you for your kind comments. We strive to make all of our guests feel at home when traveling. We are looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bluffton
Comfort Suites Bluffton
Comfort Suites Bluffton
#5 of 6 in Bluffton
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Bluffton
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton,  Bluffton-Sun City
Fairfield Inn & Suites Hilton Head Island Bluffton
Suburban Extended Stay Hilton Head
Beach House, A Holiday Inn Resort

Been to Candlewood Suites Bluffton-Hilton Head? Share your experiences!