“Rushed Rushed Rushed!!!”

May River Grill
Ranked #13 of 197 Restaurants in Bluffton
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bluffton, South Carolina
“Rushed Rushed Rushed!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

We were expecting a nice quiet evening. Instead......

Day after valentine dinnner, Started with stale left over biscuits. The waiter told us so, when I asked for fresh bread. Then the waiters, kept interrupting our dinner, coughing on us. Took our plates away before we were finished. Then giving us the check, we were trying to have conversation, and came over and asked us if we were to pay the bill..... Really lousy, service, it was not fun. Will not go back for an evening again.....

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank steve b

Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Well Worth the Visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Food was superb........great care in preparation. Will gladly go back. Know many others who agree with me. Not inexpensive.....but you get what you pay for.

Visited April 2012
Bluffton, South Carolina
“Excellent Food.....Conversation Difficult”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

Visited restaurant with a party of 8 and found the food excellent. This was our 2nd visit and my wife and I were not disappointed. I had a veal special and my wife had a risotto dish. The other couples were equally pleased with their meals. Our server was very knowledgeable as there were at least ten specials to choose from. Although there were times our server wasn't readily available, it did not present a major issue. There is no rushing the guests here as we spent about 2 1/2 hours there. The restaurant is small so conversation on a table for more than 2 couples can be challenging. If I did have a negative point, and it is minor, I wish servers would give prices of specials. A number of restaurants don't so you might want to ask as they tended to be a bit pricey.. All in all, a nice evening and would definitely return.

• Visited January 2013
PITTSBURGH
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

You would never know it from the outside but this restaurant is spectacuar, The food is outstanding and the selection is great. Service can be a bit slow but servers are very knowledgable about the menu and very polite and accomodating,

Visited January 2013
Westport, Connecticut
“Worth a revisit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

For a restaurant to get a top rating, it must excel each and every time or provide an excellent dining experience for all at the table. We have been to May River twice. Each time at least one course has not lived up to expectations. Our friends from the mid west all think May River is nirvana. Not me. This trip my escargot appetizer in pastry was very good and but somewhat hidden by the sauce; although a dozen is a generous portion. The fried green tomato salad was also very good, but not so much as to distinguish the dish from other fine local restaurants. My scored flounder in thai chili sauce was something of a disappointment. All in all below my expectations; I should have gone with the scallops. Our mid western friends all rave about the walleye. I have had it on a previous occasion; What's all the fuss? The wine list is adequate and reasonably priced. Matanzas Creek sauvignon blanc for $35. I may have ordered poorly and am willing to try again. I guess a top rating matches the diner with the restaurant style. So far I have not found a good fit.

• Visited December 2012