“Excellent food”

May River Grill
Ranked #16 of 198 Restaurants in Bluffton
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
PITTSBURGH
“Excellent food”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

You would never know it from the outside but this restaurant is spectacuar, The food is outstanding and the selection is great. Service can be a bit slow but servers are very knowledgable about the menu and very polite and accomodating,

Visited January 2013

Westport, Connecticut
“Worth a revisit”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

For a restaurant to get a top rating, it must excel each and every time or provide an excellent dining experience for all at the table. We have been to May River twice. Each time at least one course has not lived up to expectations. Our friends from the mid west all think May River is nirvana. Not me. This trip my escargot appetizer in pastry was very good and but somewhat hidden by the sauce; although a dozen is a generous portion. The fried green tomato salad was also very good, but not so much as to distinguish the dish from other fine local restaurants. My scored flounder in thai chili sauce was something of a disappointment. All in all below my expectations; I should have gone with the scallops. Our mid western friends all rave about the walleye. I have had it on a previous occasion; What's all the fuss? The wine list is adequate and reasonably priced. Matanzas Creek sauvignon blanc for $35. I may have ordered poorly and am willing to try again. I guess a top rating matches the diner with the restaurant style. So far I have not found a good fit.

Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
“Hole in the Wall Gem”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We went early on a Sat evening just before Christmas. In fact we were the first people there. The staff was incredibly fun and professional (could have been the time of year) and we were treated like we had been coming there for years. They have a credible menu of inventive seafood items along with the usual steak fare and an ok wine list. While my wife was set on the NY Strip with Blue Cheese, I was less in the mood for decision making and asked the waitress to have the chef use his imagination and surprise me with the one condition that it went with the wonderful Malbec I was drinking. To my surprise he came up with a stellar version of one of my favorite dishes in the world, Cioppino. With an excellent combination of fresh seafood, linguini and a beautifully crafted red broth, I was in for exactly what I had been looking for, a rare treat! I spoke to Chef Charlie Sternburgh through his open kitchen (with bar seats...we will sit there next time) and found his engaging and accessible. Really a great experience all around and one of those little gems that foodies love to find....you will not be disappointed!

Irving,tx
“Pay at the May”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I've been to this restaurant twice. Both times the service, food, and atmosphere have been solid. The food is very decent but not excellent. Each entree is about $22 and up. We went with a family of four with one appetizer, four entrees, 3 drinks, 2 beers, and one desert to share = $186.
Making a reservation is wise. This is not a good kids restaurant as it's pretty mature crowd.
Food came out quickly and servers were pleasant. The only hitch is when we ordered our after dinner cordial. It took a long time and didn't come out as we ordered. No big deal as we sent it back. The only thing was that the drink was fixed timely, however, the server rang up orders on the register and let the drink sit behind her for five minutes to take care of her other task.
All in all, a good restaurant but get ready to spend a little cash - not too bad though.

Roanoke, Virginia
“Consistently Excellent”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The May River Grill continues to be our favorite in the Hilton Head Region. One would never guess from the exterior that fine dining is always on the menu. We regularly go for lunch so that my husband can have a calves liver fix, the best! At dinner, our guests declared that the fried green tomatoes were the best they ever ate. The walleye is to die for , and my grouper was superb. I have never had a mediocre meal there and we go every time we visit Hilton Head. My husband is a Red Wings fan and of course, that will bring the owner/chef to your table every time! All the wait staff are mature and long time employees. They make you feel at home, even when you share a scrumptious dessert. Watch out for a sharing fee on the entree though. Portions are large but just as good the next day in a doggy bag.