“Full of character”

May River Grill
Ranked #13 of 197 Restaurants in Bluffton
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Park Ridge, IL
“Full of character”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Interesting community of unique individuals gives this place extra points. Food is fresh and well prepared. Don't expect molecular gastronomy, that's not what they do. Just great fresh ingredients thoughtfully prepared, with some flair. If I lived in the area, I'd be a regular.

• Visited August 2012

Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Worth the trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Good food, nice atmosphere, friendly staff. We had a lovely lunch here. The seafood's fresh, the dishes excellently prepared and seasoned. I like to taste my seafood, not have batter or seasonings overwhelm it, and May River Grill does an excellent job of preparing it right. Service was attentive. We will return.

Visited February 2012
Hilton Head Island
“Awesome place for dinner.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

I love sitting at the bar here and ordering dinner. You can watch the kitchen staff do all the cooking and crank out some serious dishes.
Most everything I've ordered has been delicious and the serving size is really too generous. Prepare to leave stuffed to the gills or with a box of delicious left overs.
There can be wait, but it's worth it.

Visited August 2012
New York City, New York
“Salty food and a preference for locals!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

We arrived at 7pm on a Tuesday evening and the restaurant was not crowded at all. The woman at the front door was not friendly and asked if we had a reservation. After answering no, she walked us to one of the worst tables in the restaurant like she was doing us some big favor of squeezing us in. OK, I will play along. It was our wedding anniversary but we were tired and didn't feel like driving anywhere else at the moment, so we foolishly stayed. I sort of felt sorry for the "miserable" woman at the door, but it turns out that she is not miserable at all.......if she knows you!! The waitress came over and was very nice so we felt our night was looking up! OH HOW WRONG! The wine came out quickly as did the bread. We ordered our food and I can honestly say the mussel appetizer was delicious. By then our waitress was talking to everyone she knew and kept walking in and out of the restaurant. The front door woman was yukking it up with her pals as was the male waiter who kept complementing the "beautiful" women behind us who were a rowdy group of 50 somethings out on the town. We felt like we were in a Saturday Night Live Skit! Our meals came out and mine was so salty, I could barely eat it. The potato side dish was similar to what you get at a roadside diner for breakfast, cold and tasteless. The woman at the front walked by us numerous times and our waitress was preoccupied so I didn't have the chance to send anything back. We had traveled all day and we were too tired to make a stink. When someone finally came up for air and realized we were still taking up space, we were given the check and couldn't get out of there fast enough. There are so many other restaurants that want your business in the area so please, go elsewhere.

• Visited July 2012
Columbia, SC
“A gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stumbled in here for lunch quite by accident - the food was not at all what I expected with 'Grill' in the name. Excellent choices on the menu - I had Chicken Piccata and my husband had Fried Green Tomato salad with homemade Ranch Dressing. We both really enjoyed our lunch. It is small, not a lot of ambiance but excellent food.

• Visited July 2012