“Prepare for chaos”
Review of The Big Apple

The Big Apple
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Colborne
More attraction details
Owner description: A Little Bit of Country... A Whole Lot of Fun! And everything's about apples! We offer a bakery and pie factory where our famous pies and breads are made right before your eyes - everyday! We offer a cafeteria-style restaurant with paninis, burgers, poutine, pizza, specialty apple items, and more. Gifts, souvenirs and unique market items surround you as you browse our establishment. A fun, whimsical area awaits you where you'll feel 'like a kid in a candy shop' again! Our apple cider brewery offers FREE cider sampling and a wonderful selection of bottled apple-icious cider blends. Outside (weather permitting), you'll find Mr.Applehead, an observatory - and the world's largest apple-shaped structure, in which you can ascend inside to discover breath-taking vistas of surrounding countryside. We also offer a kiddie train-ride, outdoor activities such as mini-golf, ping pong, lawn bowling, animal attractions, and more! Best of all, all these activities are FREE!
Colborne
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Prepare for chaos”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

My husband and two children stopped at the big apple very recently. Upon entering the big apple it was immediately apparent that the cafeteria style restaurant was really unorganized. Ordering food was a challenge since after you place your order you have to stand in limbo not being sure where your food is supposed to be picked up. Although there is a labeled 'pick up' area our food was definitely not coming there. I asked the staff where we were supposed to pick up our pizza order and she replied 'I am not sure!'. Lots of people standing near me were also complaining as we were all confused. When travelling with young children this is not good! My husband had to stand at the pizza stand and I stood at the pick up window trying to get our food. Our order ended up getting mixed up with another family and one of our pizza slices was wrong. I took the pizza slice back and asked very politely if we could have the slice I payed for and she told me off! I told her it was confusing when we tried to get our order and she told me that since I "messed it up" food was going to be waisted and thrown in the garbage. The petting zoo was also dirty and their llama looked as though it had eye infections. The free mini golf was great but that in itself is not enough to make me want to stop there again.

2 Thank Northernkalm

• Korean first
Kingston, Canada
“A pleasant surprise!”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

As we pulled into the parking lot, I warned my British friends that it was a rather strange place - apple crumble to die for, but served up with distinct unfriendliness and lots of signs saying "Don't…"

Well, since I was last there a few years ago, it's changed hands and, apart from the apple crumble, is very different - lots more to do, buy, and eat, served up with relaxed humour. What was going to be a quick stop to buy dessert for the evening turned into a very pleasant hour spent eating frozen yoghurt, feeding the animals, and browsing in the shop.

Well done new management! And the apple crumble is still to die for.

Brockville, Canada
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Great Stop for Young Kids. Staffing Needs Improvement.”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

We stopped at the Big Apple on a roadtrip from Kingston to London. We had always driven by it and never stopped. We stopped first on a weekday, and it was great. It wasn't too busy and our toddler was able to run around, even though the outdoor train wasn't running. The bathrooms were immaculate. We were also the only ones visiting the animals. The Apple Loaf was delicious. And we snacked on a couple of apples as we climbed up the Big Apple. A fantastic stop for a busy toddler and a cost-conscious family. In fact, we loved it so much that we arranged to stop again on our way home on a Saturday.
On Saturday it was a different place. It was packed. Despite the crowds, the train wasn't running. It must be on a very reduced schedule. The animals were being swarmed by large families who were feeding them everything from bread to snack-food rather than obeying the signs and only feeding appropriate animal feed. We were disgusted. Children were throwing things at the birds. You better believe that the "money-making" buildings were all (over)staffed. It wouldn't have hurt to have a staff member located at the petting zoo...to enforce the rules and at least "pretend" that they care about the animal's welfare.
We would stop again for the sake of our busy toddler.

somehwere, Ontario
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 126 helpful votes
“A fun little place”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Stopped in to see what this is all about as we'd seen it several times from the road. There's a small petting zoo in the back as well as a mini putt course. The inside has been renovated and expanded ( according to their website ). One side is a candy/chocolate shop with a drinks bar, the middle is the pastry shop and restaurant and the opposite side a souvenir shop. Although we didn't eat anything from the restaurant, we saw people walking by with their dishes and it looked very good. We did buy some chocolate, an apple cake and some apple dumplings. The cake is amazing, the chocolate and the dumplings were ok. Everything is expensive though....but then again....what road side souvenir shop isn't?

1 Thank CanadaDeb
Ottawa, Canada
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Lots of fun”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

The combination of apple-based attractions with a petting zoo seems odd, but it's good fun. The animals don't seem mistreated and seem to have access to food, space, water, pond, etc., and are friendly. Last time I was there, there was an arcade game or two, and a huge souvenir shop.

There is a cafeteria-type restaurant where you can watch through big windows as staff bake several types of pie in an industrial production-line type atmosphere, and you can also buy some fast food/grill type stuff like fries and burgers and such.

The main attraction, of course, is the immense apple you can go inside which has some museum-type exhibitions about the life cycle and industry around apples. When I went inside last (which was many years ago, though I have stopped at the main building several times since), there was an exhibition on how they relate to bees too, I think.

(date cited below for last visit is approximate, since I travel quite a bit on that highway)

Visited August 2013