“Worth it as a pit stop but DO NOT try the apple fries!”
Review of The Big Apple

The Big Apple
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Colborne
More attraction details
Owner description: A Little Bit of Country... A Whole Lot of Fun! And everything's about apples! We offer a bakery and pie factory where our famous pies and breads are made right before your eyes - everyday! We offer a cafeteria-style restaurant with paninis, burgers, poutine, pizza, specialty apple items, and more. Gifts, souvenirs and unique market items surround you as you browse our establishment. A fun, whimsical area awaits you where you'll feel 'like a kid in a candy shop' again! Our apple cider brewery offers FREE cider sampling and a wonderful selection of bottled apple-icious cider blends. Outside (weather permitting), you'll find Mr.Applehead, an observatory - and the world's largest apple-shaped structure, in which you can ascend inside to discover breath-taking vistas of surrounding countryside. We also offer a kiddie train-ride, outdoor activities such as mini-golf, ping pong, lawn bowling, animal attractions, and more! Best of all, all these activities are FREE!
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Visited on the way back to TO from Montreal.

All the mini games are really cheesy and the washrooms smelled like years of family-with-small-children use (Like walmart or Ikea)

The pie factory / bakery was closed on the Saturday so there was nothing to watch.

You can climb up into the big apple.

We wanted to try something different so we had the apple fries as a snack. Not even worth the $3.50 we paid for it. They were super greasy and soggy on the inside. We did not even finish ours.

The only saving graces for this place are the warm apple bread and apple cider vinegar. The pies are just ok. They don't have cheap water here. Small bottles of water are $4.

It does feel like it's going downhill.

Ultimately, I'd say it's worth it for a brief visit to see for yourself just because it's definitely different from the regular OnRoute rest stops.

2  Thank pdxd

Reviewed March 30, 2014

I have stopped into the Big Apple many times over the years to pick up a pie while on the road. I noticed all kinds of changes in restaurant and pie buying area. It looks like they moved the giftshop into the restaurant in a attempt to sell more? Rather then having all the pies together, they have them in separate tables, which makes it difficult to look at.
I asked one of the cashiers what was going on, and she said that the new owners from Toronto, are a big peanut company and they have upped all the prices and cut down on the quality. She said they were no longer cutting apples at the Big Apple and that they were brought in with PRESERVATIVES on them each week? I could not believe this…is the idea of this place not for fresh pies without PRESERVATIVES on them??
I went back to ask a question about one of the pies, and the two cashiers were engaged in some type of conversation and i could not get their attention. This place has gone down to fast, avoid if possible.

8  Thank Nathan S
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I started going back after the renovations. The place has improved dramatically. The decor inside is ultra modern with hardwood floors, lots of pies on stock, the cashiers are good looking nicely dressed young women (I recall the dirty cashier before the new administration..that's changed)

And of course the pies are great, especially the Strawberry Rhubarb.

I travel frequently between Ontario and Quebec. In Quebec we have Rockaberry, a vastly inferior presentation. Anybody wants to complain then at least recommend a better place.

1  Thank canadianyvon
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I stopped in at the Big Apple on my way to Kingston from Toronto, during the Thanksgiving weekend (Saturday morning). I have not been in for a pie for a few years, but I thought I would stop in to see what was new. This place has new owners from Toronto, and I guess they want to streamline it like their Peanut Factory!
I could not believe that there were no bakers, baking pies or hot bread. It seems that most of the staff was off for the holiday, and they had pre-baked pies from Thursday! The fresh apple bread was "cold", maybe it came from the freezer?? This place use to bake hot apple pie and hot apple bread, I guess the word is fresh?
The cashier told me that they are also bring in cut apples (instead of cutting their own) with citric on them. The pie I did pie seemed small compared to the last one I purchased a few years ago.
My advice is to wait for the old owners to come back or just keep going past this unit of a bigger company.

9  Thank Eric f
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Use to live in Colborne and when people came to visit us they picked up an apple pie and brought it over.. Awful!!! Oh my word.. The worst pie I've ever had. I'm not a baker but you can guarantee my pie is sooooooo much better. I had to stop people from bringing me one they were that bad. They may have sold alot of pies due to their location and how it's a tour bus stop but you can bet they don't have alot of repeats. The good thing is they have things for kids and adults when they want to get out of the car, stretch their legs and take a break. It is alot better then a truck stop. it's just too bad that apple country can't make a decent pie at a place that boasts how many they sell.