“What a nice surprise!”

Dining options: Reservations
Cobourg, Ontario
“What a nice surprise!”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We just stopped into this place on our way home from wine tasting in Prince Edward County. We were hungry and there was not much choice between Colborne and Cobourg! We were very happily surprised. The food was good, actually, very good ( not great). we ate Thai. The prices are really excellent! The owners, Harry and Vanna, do the hosting and the cooking and are full of stories in many languages! We were the only ones in the place but it was early on a Saturday night. Do yourself a favour and stop in!

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank elainelily

Grafton
“Amazing Thai”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I have yet to find as good as Pad Thai and from here... Its only about 10$$ and its a huge portion.... Also the spring rolls are amazing

Its owned by a sweet couple, she does all the cooking and he serves

Sometimes service is slow since they dont have help but take out or waiting is worth it

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Melanie D
Belleville, Canada
“Small Town Treasure”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My husband and I stopped in here on a whim while out doing some exploring. What a surprise!

The restaurant looks a bit unassuming from the outside, housed in a big old Victorian style home. The interior is a unique blend of the original house & the owners Thai background. Beautiful paintings & wall hangings and vintage rugs give the big rooms a warm feeling of welcome. Then there's the food ....

First off, each dish is prepared to order, so you can have whatever level of spiciness you wish. My husband (not one for hot spice) ordered Mango Chicken that was the best I have ever tasted. Creamy with coconut milk, and a delicious sweet bite from the mango. The vegetables were fresh & tender-crisp and the dish comes with a generous serving of rice on the side.

I ordered the Spicy Thai Noodles with chicken and what a treat! Perfect balance of spice & flavour. Hints of lemon grass, the spice of chili, and again fresh tender-crisp vegetables, delicious bites of chicken, and a generous portion of noodles. You definitely won't walk away hungry!

Prices were extremely reasonable - our two lunches came to only $24 (taxes included!). We will definitely be going back to try more of the dishes.

• Visited September 2013
Pickering, Canada
“Unexpected pleasure...”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

My boyfriend and I visited this restaurant after visiting the (disappointing) Big Apple.

The place does not look like much from the outside or from the interior...the decor is very outdated and could be described as "hodge-podge"...but there was something very endearing and interesting about it.

From what I read and saw, the restaurant is owned by a German husband and Thai wife...the restaurant appears to be decorated with several personal items from their countries of birth. We enjoyed admiring them while waiting for our meals. The place almost felt like eating a meal in someone's home.

The elderly husband seemed to be the only server in the place (though this may be because it was a slow Sunday). He was very sweet and so polite (he poured my beer for me, served me first and toasted us both "To our good health"). The prices were outrageously inexpensive (I used to live in downtown Toronto so paying $4.25 for a bottle of beer is wonderful for me!).

We ordered spring rolls to start. $4.75 for 4 homemade spring rolls and a plum sauce that tasted home made. They arrived very quickly and were delicious! We ordered pad Thai and pineapple rice for our mains...these took a bit longer to arrive but, given the age of the couple and how little help they seemed to have, neither of us minded at all (they also had a party of 6-8 people to serve so we understood the wait).

The pad Thai was not the best I've had but it was very delicious and definitely had the flavour of authenticity and my boyfriend raved about his pineapple rice. The portions were pretty large for the price (my pad Thai was less than $10 and I couldn't finish it all!) and we definitely felt we had our money's worth.

We had three beers, an appetizer and two main courses and our bill came to under $45...pretty impressive for two people.

While this was not the best meal or service I've ever had in my life, the food was of great value and the couple who run this place are just the cutest thing in the world..and I really can't get over how sweet and polite the husband was. Just lovely, worth the drive and definitely worth the wait.

If you live near the area or are visiting, I would definitely recommend stopping by The Golden Rooster.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Samantha L
La Libertad, El Salvador
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Pad Thai since Bangkok”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

An utterly amazing Thai restaurant in the middle of nowhere Ontario.

Went here a couple times when visiting my son last summer, Harry, a great German gentleman & his Thai wife run this fabulous small restaurant serving the unqualified best Pat Thai I have had the pleasure of eating since I lived in Bangkok in 2010.

It's worth a drive out from Toronto to experience the genuine Thai cusine!

• Visited August 2012