“Second review”

Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Beaufort
Aiken, South Carolina
“Second review”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Stayed here about 2 years ago and gave this place a poor review. Someone else made the reservations and we received some poor rooms. The reason I gave this place a second chance was that I was traveling with my grandsons and thought they would enjoy the indoor pool. I phoned the motel directly and let them know that I was an Elite Gold member and that I wanted a decent room this time. The room was much better than the one during my previous stay, but still not very good. The appliances did work this time, the bathroom door did shut fully, but the carpet still needs replacing and the walls need a coat of paint, along with some of the furniture. The sofa sleeper was "well used" so didn't bother making it up or letting one of my grandbabys sleep there. The mattress on the bed needs to be replaced. It did have a thick, soft mattress pad on it which helped, but there were still "dips" in the middle of the bed. Not easy on the back.
The pool area was clean, but had only 1 pool towel left in the cart. The hot tub was working but the water looked dirty, I'm assuming that's because the hot tub needs to be drained and repainted.

The desk clerk that checked me in wasn't very friendly and the one that checked me out was on her cell phone. She did delay her call long enough to take my keys, and then apoligized to her caller for the interruption. The housekeeper and groundsman that I talked to were very friendly. Thanks to the housekeeper our room was clean, including bed linens.

This place could be a gem with the right owner. A little paint, new carpet, some upgraded bedding go a long way. It's in the perfect location to attract visitors.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Teresa S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Reviewed February 22, 2012

Arrived Saturday from Boston, MA at 2:15 pm. I asked to check-in and was told that check-in was at 3 pm and if I wished to check in early I would be charged $15. Considering my family of four drove the 18 hours to get there for a family function I paid the additional $15. At first I thought the place was just old but after staying 3 nights I discovered that they had bed bugs. I have had no previous experience with bed bugs but after discovering very itchy bites on my skin after waking up I did some research and confirmed that they were bed bug bites. I proceeded to clean out our suitcases in order to wipe them down with alcohol as instructed by a website, I found dead bed bugs. Do not stay here!!!

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Cribbsh

Travelers are raving about these Beaufort hotels

Seven Lakes, NC
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Nice location in Beaufort. Near shopping and dining. Looks to be recently renovated. Basic room, did have a refrigerator. Worst part was the WiFi wa difficult to get on and slow. If going to Hilton Head, better plan 45 minutes to an hour, depending on how far out you are going. At least an hour to Sea Pines area.

Room Tip: If WiFi is important, might be better to have a room closer to the front desk.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Catfish47
Milledgeville, Georgia
Reviewed November 20, 2011

we came in for the marine corp graduation, we stay two night, in a king/ pull out sofa. the staff was very friendly and accommodating.Checking in went smoothly.Our 1st room didn't have a micro-fridge in it, but staff moved us quickly to another room. It was clean and comfortable. Parking lot was well lit. My son enjoyed the indoor pool. WiFi was good. Breakfast was not out early enough, we had to leave early for the ceremonies. Some accommodation should have been made the hotel was full of marine families.

Room Tip: request room on the front side, there is no parking on the back and its a wooded area.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Marinemom31061
Houston
Reviewed November 12, 2011

So outdated that even our dogs weren't happy. Obviously we should have left as the other review stated.
Very Low End !! They had a sign 15.00 per pet, but didn't ask or mention it. I am sure they know that they couldn't collect it.

Room Tip: Please do not stay here. They gave us a queen bed and were supposed to give us a king.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LovestoTravela
USA
Reviewed October 14, 2011

This was one of the dirtiest and worst maintained hotels that I have every stayed in. We left after the first night. The reviews on line were misleading. We had 3 rooms booked and each was worse than the previous. I have stayed in hotels/tents from Tanzania to Columbia to 5 star hotels in Europe and the US. This was the worst. I slept in my clothes and wouldn't leave the luggage in the room for fear of bed bugs or roaches.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank cracklepop
Parkersburg, West Virginia
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Door security lock was coming off the wall. Put work order in as soon as we arrived and never got fixed in our 3 day stay. Lighting poor in room. Bugs got under door that had no theshold. Snake outside our door. Toilet leaked. Pool/Spa was never operable. Shower head only dribbled water and was hanging from wall. Furniture was badly soiled. Pictures on their website must be from when it was first built. Does not represent the hotel today at all. We booked the hotel to attend Marine graduation at Parris Island so there was no other hotel accomodations to be found within an hours drive. Did not realize there was a "roach motel" in the 21st century but this certainly fits that description. The breakfast area is aweful. The dairy frig has rusted hinges and filthly. A street person would even complain of this hotel and its accomodations. You will need a long hot shower after you get home after staying at this place. I have contacted customer relations about this hotel and have requested an inspector go there and go over every inch of this place. They need to lose their franchise. Total 'slum lord" there.

Room Tip: Stay at a Hampton Inn!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family