“Couldn't get any better!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Couldn't get any better!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

It was a wednesday night and the kids just finished soccer. We always have family night and go out for dinner. The family loves mexican and we usually head over to la hacienda after practice, but tonight we were invited to the San Jose over on lady's island. Absolutely gorgeous! Beautiful inside, great music, perfect service, and delicious food! Not to mention the specials on margaritas! The kids had a great time and my husband and I did as well. We go every week and have yet to be disappointed! We love San Jose!

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank Lisa F

Beaufort, South Carolina
“Should've gone to Taco Bell”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2011

I really should've known better. The recent reviews of San Jose have been quite critical, yet for whatever reason, I decided to go yesterday with my girlfriend - we were both in the mood for Mexican. Service was okay, and the place is nicely decorated, but the food really left much to be desired. The "quesadilla" was barely the size of a folded taco with a few measily strands of chopped cheese. The burritos were small - about the size of Taco Bell's. Refried beans and rice were nothing to rave at.

All in all, this place really has potential yet absolutely flopped. About the only thing I can compliment this place on is their lovely patio area, where I'm sure having a beer and sitting under the terrace is enjoyable on a spring or fall day.

• Visited May 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank beaufort-tiger
“AVOID”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2011

I have never posted a review on any site before, but I feel compelled to after my visit to this place. I am a local here. This is the 1st time I've been to San Jose, and the last time. My friend and I ordered margaritas. They were awful! It tasted like nail polish remover, and I don't even think tequila was added. The margaritas were $6.25 each! When we got our food, I took two bits and notice a little COCKROACH in the beans. The server came over and acted like it wasn't a big deal and asked me if I wanted him to take the bug out. The manager never came over to talk to me. Needless to say, we left immediately. My advice, go down the street to La Hacienda, same atmosphere, but much better tasting (without bugs in it!!), better prices, and great margaritas! I will never be back to this place.

• Visited March 2011
2 Thank dla684
Charleston, South Carolina
“Typical Mexican”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2010

Wait for food was long. They had run out of the pork dishes, and had to run down the street for more bread for wife's order. The typical Mexican fare, nothing to write home about. But for 2 we got out just under $20.

Atlanta
“Best Mexican on Lady's Island.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2009

A fun atmosphere and jolly service add to the dining experience at San Jose. Unlike some other Mexican places on the island, San Jose is clean and bright, and the margaritas are outta sight !!

1 Thank hfkmd