“Nothing Fancy But Good”
Review of Barbara Jean's - CLOSED

Barbara Jean's
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Charleston, South Carolina
“Nothing Fancy But Good”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The restaurant is sort of hidden away off of the road a couple of yards and amongst the trees. The deck seating on the porch has a view of the greenery. The inside is a simple, warm atmosphere family style restaurant with booths and tables and a bar. The food was good but not amazing. The she crab soup was thick with crab and had a touch of sweetness followed by a peppery after taste. The battered shrimp are fresh tasting. The crabcakes, which they are said to be known for are plentiful with crab meat but had a bit of a sour(?) taste from the seasoning I suspect. The service was very good and friendly. Overall, a good place that isn't expensive to take the family for fresh seafood, but don't expect anything fancy, just good.

• Visited April 2013

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great find!”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Excellent food and surroundings (we ate outside!) - so good we ate lunch and dinner there! The servers (Gary and Carrie) were very helpful and friendly. They made the whole experience even better!

Visited March 2013
Oakland, MI
“A hidden gem”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We ended up having dinner here on the recommendation of a local laundromat owner. We had planned on eating dinner at a different restaurant but they were closed due to a death in the family so we asked about a place to eat good southern home style food when we picked up our laundry. They recommended "Barbra Jean's". The food is excellently prepared, the pumpkin bread as well as the Jalapeno corn bread were moist and tasty as can be. I had the she chowder and my wife had the potato cheese chowder, both were very tasty. Make sure you order the squash casserole, you won't be disappointed.

The pricing is reasonable when compared to other restaurants in the area. Our dinner for two including tax came to about $42 at this restaurant while our dinner for four the night before at another area restaurant was $120 and none of us drink alcohol. If your want good food this is an excellent choice, if you want cheap get a $3.99 dinner at the Huddle House.

• Visited April 2013
Georgia
“Delish!”
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

We ate here during our stay in Beaufort and the food was excellent. We had chicken fried chicken sandwich, potato soup, blt sandwich, shrimp and grits. None of us had a complaint! The bread that comes out before you get your meal is delicious too! We will definitely be back if we are in the area again!

Visited April 2013
Beaufort, South Carolina
“Not Good Service or Food”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I ate there for lunch today 3/25/13. First I had to wait at the hostess stand for 5+ min before someone came and sat me at a table. Then I my waiter came by 3 times and said he will be right back to get my order. 12+ min later he comes by and takes my order. He doesn't bring my Sweet Tea until the Food comes and I had to ask him for it. He was looking all over the table like he had already brought it to me and I put it in my pocket. LOL Then they bring my food and the crab cake was litterly no bigger and thicker that a drink coaster. The 2 sides were about 3 table spoons full and one of them wasn't even the one I ordered. When I was finished eating he decides to come by and ask did I want my check. He seen my drink empty and didn't ask anything else. I was so mad I was ready to get out of there. My meal was $19.21. Needless to say I will never go back. Totally not worth it at all. Go to Cracker Barrel I tell you. Fast Food Chains are better than this place and cheaper any day. FYI the crab cake had a good bit of meat in it but no FLAVOR at all.

• Visited March 2013