“Going downhill without skis”
Review of Barbara Jean's - CLOSED

Barbara Jean's
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 24, 2012

This has been a family favorite for many years but something has happened in the last year. We even tried the weekend breakfast they added and the omelets were so well done they were crispy on the bottom. Last Friday we decided to give it one last chance. At 6 PM on a Friday only two table were occupied and a couple at the bar. We ordered our favorites with the "grands", chicken fingers, chicken fried steak, macaroni and meatloaf. Everything was dried out and tasteless. So but I think it's too late to call in the rescue team.

1  Thank Jane T

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Had a late lunch at Barbara Jean's and found it to be just delicious !! The staff greeted us as we arrived and we were seated immediately. This day we sat inside due to allergies but the porch was so inviting ! We relaxed with delicious iced tea and a variety of breads before our main meal arrived. Whatever you decide upon, please get the crabcakes ! They are definitely the best I have ever eaten ! We filled up on our meal and missed out on the desserts they had to offer - I had my eye on the peach cobbler - but will have to do it next time. Maybe I will order that first !

Reviewed September 27, 2012

My husband and I had read the reviews on TA and had seen ads in Beaufort publications and the place looked like somewhere we would really enjoy. We must have gone on a bad night. The waiter was nice and fairly attentive and told us about the special that night of a strip steak and trimmings. I ordered that and my husband ordered a grilled chicken. My steak had absolutely no taste at all plus it was tough and about one quarter of an inch thick. My husbad said his grilled chicken was pretty good, but lacked flavor also. If I hadn't had A-1 Sauce to put on my steak, there would have been no flavor at all. When the waiter asked how our food was, I told him I was not pleased with the steak at all. He said he would let the kitchen know....no offer to bring another or let me have something else. I heard him say something to the cook in the kitchen because our table was close by and I could tell they had no response. We found the whole experience very disappointing. This is a restaurant that is definitely OFF our list of places to eat in Beaufort. It was the most expensive dinner we had on our whole trip and the worst quality.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

This is a wonderful restaurant to sit on the covered porch & enjoy a "home cooked" meal. Ambiance is perfect for family or couples dining. Waitstaff is friendly & attentive. I love the pot roast. Soups are good, too. I don't know if they take reservations, but I suspect they can get very crowded on weekend evenings and afetr church. Prices are reasonable.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

The meatloaf is great and the vegetable sides were seasoned just right. We had a basket of mixed breads; pumplin, jalepeno cornbread, and wheat rolls. Service is quick and this is a great value! Ice tea is perfect.