“Beaufort" Finest Dining”

Breakwater Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Breakwater Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 163 Restaurants in Beaufort
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Port Republic
Description: Chef Lang and Chef Shaw's version of 'New Southern Cuisine' contains the past, present, and future all at once. Younger, lighter, and fresher than traditional Southern 'Old School' deep-fried fare while acknowledging culinary influences from the world beyond. The bar at Breakwater exudes a lively energy with locals and travelers alike. The atmosphere is fun and friendly and warm Southern hospitality is a signature of the restaurant. Now Open and Accepting Reservations!
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Excellent meal in a casual yet elegant atmosphere. I had southern sampler plate with fried calamari, shrimp and oysters, with a thin slice of tender roast beef. Calamari especially were tender and tasty. My companion had the evening's special, red snapper, that was very enjoyable. Knowledgeable, friendly. and efficient wait staff. This made an excellent fun evening out. Caesar salad, which we split was so-so.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

This was our first visit to Breakwater and we were not disappointed. Excellent food and good wine selection. Coupled with great service from Lisa. We went on a Saturday evening and the place was busy, not sure without reservations if you could have gotten in? We started with the Calamari which was some of the best we have ever had. My wife had the night special entree which was pan seared Snapper in a wonderful sauce. I had the braised short ribs again with a great sauce. A nice bottle of Cotes du Rhone finished off the meal. Bill with tax approximately $100. I would consider the food somewhere between classic French and Cajan French because of the excellent sauces. As we now live in the area we will definitely be return customers.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

One of the fine dining restaurants in Beaufort.....nice menu with something for everyone and reasonable prices for such a restaurant.....how many fine restaurants still offer a bottle of wine for $21?..outstanding service and presentation...so why not a 5 star rating?...reason...their salads are the weakest part of their menu...the caesar had too much dressing making it soft and uneventful....there are 5 or 6 other restaurants in Beaufort with better caesar salad...the mixed green salad was just as tasteless....its too bad because this is a very nice restaurant...

DRLTraveler, Owner at Breakwater Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Thank your for your review and your comments about our salad selection. I will be discussing your concerns and comments with our Chef's during our weekly meeting. I know that our kitchen is very mindful of the comments we receive and will be working diligently to ensure that every salad exceeds our guests expectations. We do listen to our guests so please let me know the next time you are in so I can make sure you enjoyed your whole meal!!! We appreciate your support of Breakwater. Cheers, Donna Lang

Reviewed February 15, 2014

My husband and I went to this restaurant, and we experienced very poor quality evening at this so called "up-scale" restaurant. I would not recommend this restaurant even to my enemies.

After a long day as a professional, both of us dressed up casually, as some of the clients dining in did, but evidentially, our appearance did not meet the hostess' expectation. Even though both of us have masters level of education, this senior hostess assumed she was in a better position as utilizing her poor judgment. Nothing wrong to be a hostess, but if I were a hostess in my senior year like her, I would think I would be little more humble and respectful to clients who walk through the door, but this hostess did not posses those qualities as a service oriented worker should have.

Furthermore, we were seated by the kitchen where we could observe what the chiefs were doing, such as a blonde- hair woman was drinking water out of a pitcher (yuck if my water was from that pitcher), a minority male chief was eating French fries. Regardless he was eating off from a client's plate that was to deliver or his own meal, I did not think it was sanitary to eat while he was cooking.

Even though the server was the only one polite and professional, I did not like the fact, she touched my straw with her hand. If I asked for a straw, I did because I did not want my lips touch after another person's, yet the hostess brought a straw which did not have a wrap on and placed in my glass of water. I do not know think she cleaned her hands before she handled my straw, so I definitely felt not to drink my water any more.

AND, the last but not the least...the food was so blend. I could get a better food if I went to Panini's in downtown. Not necessary the servers there were friendlier, but they were not at least rude, and food tasted better while price was much more reasonable.

After all, I wasted my precious time with my husband very unpleasantly.

1  Thank M N

I am very sorry that your dining experience with us was not a favorable one. I can assure you that where you were seated was not based on your appearance but based on the fact that we were completely booked on Saturday evening (Valentine's Weekend). I have a policy of never turning a guest away if at all possible and unfortunately the only table available for our walk-in guests was the table you were seated at.
I have talked with the kitchen staff concerning your comments and have made them aware that having an open kitchen does require them to conduct themselves in a more professional manner and that they are easily seen from the dining room. I have also talked to our waitstaff about sanitation and how a straw should be delivered to the table.
Again, I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your dining experience with us. We offer the dealsaver as a way to bring in new guests and hopefully they enjoy their evening enough that they will want to come back again and I'm sorry that your first experience didn't live up to your expectations. I would like to offer for you and your husband to come back to Breakwater as my guests for dinner at your convenience. I can promise you your evening will be an enjoyable one and you will give us the opportunity to show you why Breakwater is one of the top dining destinations in Beaufort. If you are agreeable to my offer please contact me (Donna Lang) or my manager Juliet at 843-379-0052 to book your reservation. I sincerely hope that you will give us another try.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

We wish we could give this restaurant a 5 or at least a 4.5 but there were a few small missteps that hold us back. First, the pros: we loved the stylish environment and the ultra-friendly and helpful staff who all worked together like a well-oiled machine. The food was outstanding--a sort of high style Southern influence with hints of European flair. The tapas concept is always such a fun option, enabling diners to sample The from the full range of the chef's offerings. Wines by the glass were presented in small carafes for tasting prior to making a decision. A nice touch. Our main concern was the post-course removal of plates. Since we were enjoying tapas, there was an occasional pile up of plates on the table so we just set them aside. Really, this review deserves more of a 4.5 than a 4. Breakwater was absolutely, hands-down our best dining experience In Beaufort.

Thank you for your review of Breakwater. Our staff works very hard to make sure every guest has an enjoyable evening and it's nice to hear when (almost) everything went perfectly. Thank you for letting us know about even the little things that would have made the evening perfect. Service can always be tweaked and with your comments we have something to work on. Thank you for dining with us. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again at Breakwater!! Cheers, Donna Lang