“Terrific food and service”

Breakwater Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Breakwater Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 164 Restaurants in Beaufort
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Port Republic
Description: Chef Lang and Chef Shaw's version of 'New Southern Cuisine' contains the past, present, and future all at once. Younger, lighter, and fresher than traditional Southern 'Old School' deep-fried fare while acknowledging culinary influences from the world beyond. The bar at Breakwater exudes a lively energy with locals and travelers alike. The atmosphere is fun and friendly and warm Southern hospitality is a signature of the restaurant. Now Open and Accepting Reservations!
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We went here for my husbands birthday dinner. Our server, Lisa was so much fun and very helpful. I chose scallops with the corn risotto and they were marvelous. If you like lamb you need to try the lamb meatloaf. My husband loved it. This place has a great wine selection. Nice atmosphere too.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We went here on a Saturday night without a booking, but were seated relatively quickly in the bar area. I'd definitely recommend booking if possible, however, as it was very busy and we elected to sit in the bar area rather than wait longer for a seat in the restaurant.

Service was good and the food likewise - nothing too spectacular except for the Shrimp Pot Pie which was absolutely delicious - although a small serving as it was included on the tapas menu.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We enjoyed the lamb, scallops, and spicy calamari tapas which were excellent. The small bar area was very nice with a relaxed atmosphere including couch-seating and tv's. The service was top notch.

That being said we did not enjoy the seating. We were on a romantic date and were seated in an area with other couples right next to each other. No private conversation to be had. Probably would not return since there are other great restaurants within a block's distance with more privacy.

DRLTraveler, Owner at Breakwater Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Thank you for your review, I'm glad you enjoyed your evening except for the tight seating in the main dining room. We do offer several different seating areas for our diners and would be happy to accommodate requests for quieter or more private tables when at all possible. I'm sorry that your special evening was less than perfect due to your table. The next time you are back in the area please ask for me (Donna) and I will make sure that you are given a more private table to dine. Our front room is a smaller dining room and has only tables so it is always a better option for customers that want a quieter evening.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Food is excellent in taste and presentation. Service is marvelous! Ambiance is neat! Ask about the building history! It does get a little noisy but not enough to be a negative. It's the place I always take friends for dinner for special occasions and I've never regretted it!!!

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We had just arrived in town for a 2 night stay tired from 10 hours on the road. This restaurant was recommended by our hotel whic was right ne t door. We were greeted by Juliet our designated bartender/server who was pleasant and made us feel welcome . She recommended a nice glass of wine from their extensive selection. Not really wanting a full meal we decided to eat light and Juliet recommended their tapas special that night which was the mini shrimp pot pie - delicious - we added a New England clam chowder for me - personally taste tested by Juliet who from Massacheuttes would not the southern chef serve unless it passed her taste test! My wife had the goat cheese and beet salad - so after a few glasses of wine and a few cold Miller Lites for me and all is good - thanks again to Juliet for taking care of us!!