“Glad we Stopped In”

Breakwater Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Breakwater Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 161 Restaurants in Beaufort
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Port Republic
Description: Chef Lang and Chef Shaw's version of 'New Southern Cuisine' contains the past, present, and future all at once. Younger, lighter, and fresher than traditional Southern 'Old School' deep-fried fare while acknowledging culinary influences from the world beyond. The bar at Breakwater exudes a lively energy with locals and travelers alike. The atmosphere is fun and friendly and warm Southern hospitality is a signature of the restaurant. Now Open and Accepting Reservations!
Sewell, New Jersey
“Glad we Stopped In”
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

We had just arrived in town for a 2 night stay tired from 10 hours on the road. This restaurant was recommended by our hotel whic was right ne t door. We were greeted by Juliet our designated bartender/server who was pleasant and made us feel welcome . She recommended a nice glass of wine from their extensive selection. Not really wanting a full meal we decided to eat light and Juliet recommended their tapas special that night which was the mini shrimp pot pie - delicious - we added a New England clam chowder for me - personally taste tested by Juliet who from Massacheuttes would not the southern chef serve unless it passed her taste test! My wife had the goat cheese and beet salad - so after a few glasses of wine and a few cold Miller Lites for me and all is good - thanks again to Juliet for taking care of us!!

Gulfport, Florida
“Beautiful atmosphere, great food & service!”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

First of all, when you walk in to Breakwater, the ambiance suggests that the LAST thing you want to order is a hamburger! I had made a reservation & we ended up in Beaufort about 90 minutes early. The hostess was very gracious & told us she could accomodate us earlier, but if we wanted to take our time & have a cocktail at the bar, it was ok too.We had drinks in the bar, very beautiful with a white granite. There were nice pieces of artwork throughout, high ceilings, with a modern flare. We had a wonderful server who explained all of the specials( & told us their price!), but a very sweet southern gal.Because we were new diners, the chef sent us all a fried goat cheese ball with a sauce. It was delicious! We had calamari & tuna tartare with avocado, both very tastey, with nice sauces. Our entrees were pasta with shrimp, mussels, clams, scallops & oysters in a tomato stew and grouper with lemon grits & green beans. The pasta in the seafood dish was a little under cooked, there were several pieces of shrimp & a few mussels, but only one scallop for each of us. The grouper was delicious according to one of our friends. It was a little pricey, but very classy.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank natnpr
Orlando, Florida
“Pass This One By....Not Worth the Time, Money or Dining Experience”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I've been working on a project in Beaufort since mid-November of 2012 and will be here through mid-June of 2013. I was told to visit Breakwater by several people in the Beaufort community with a few warning me about their over-priced food and beverages. I ate their tonight and couldn't wait to leave. I ordered the French onion soup for an appetizer, which was VERY mediocre, and they don't offer a large selection of food items. What I did see didn't seem to appeal to me and they are very over-priced for what they do offer. I decided on ordering the hamburger and french fries, which was so bland and almost tasteless that I almost didn't take the remaining half with me. My server, Lisa, was "adequate", but she didn't seem to have very much knowledge of what to suggest in either the wines or the food.
Don't waste your time or money and try the other great restaurants in the area like Emily's (exquisite and a great value for your money), Papaya's Thai Cuisine, Plum's Restaurant on Bay Street, Q on the Bay....even Panini's, which we didn't care for a great deal but is much better than this place. My advice is to drive right by it and not be tempted by the appeal of the restaurant being located in a great place in downtown Beaufort, including the view of downtown Beaufort from the windows. Run Forest Run!

5 Thank travelingshoesbecky
Atlanta, Georgia
“Lovely Anniversary Celebration”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

My husband and I recently celebrated our anniversary at Breakwater Restaurant. The food was excellent and the service was great! Our server couldn't have been nicer. When she found out it was our anniversary, she went out of her way to make sure our dinner was enjoyable. Upon our return to Beaufort, we will return to this restaurant.

1 Thank simo640
Pawleys Island, South Carolina
“Perfect Evening”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We celebrated Valentine's Day early with a stop by Beaufort and ate a wonderful evening meal at Breakwater. We were seated at a perfect table for two looking out on the street. From our greeting at the door to our leaving the restaurant an hour and a half later, our total dining experience was superb. Amber, our waitress, was both gracious and efficient, the perfect third party who contributed greatly to our evening. My lamb and my wife's tilefish (the special of the evening) were both outstanding. And try the desserts, ours were worth the extra pounds. All in all, our gratitude is yours, Breakwater - we'll be back.