“The New Breakwater Needs Some Refinement”

Breakwater Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Breakwater Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 163 Restaurants in Beaufort
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Port Republic
Description: Chef Lang and Chef Shaw's version of 'New Southern Cuisine' contains the past, present, and future all at once. Younger, lighter, and fresher than traditional Southern 'Old School' deep-fried fare while acknowledging culinary influences from the world beyond. The bar at Breakwater exudes a lively energy with locals and travelers alike. The atmosphere is fun and friendly and warm Southern hospitality is a signature of the restaurant. Now Open and Accepting Reservations!
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Recently on a trip to Beaufort, SC, my wife and I wanted to treat a friend to a nice dinner. We asked around and several people recommended the Breakwater as an upscale place to dine in Beaufort. When we arrived we were promptly greeted and seated by the hostess who was wearing a rather strong perfume. The waitress soon arrived with our menus (She was wearing so much perfume we could hardly breathe!) I am very allergic to some perfumes and my wife asked if I had my allergy medication with me, which I had forgotten. (My bad!)

Our drink order came. I had ordered a cabernet which arrived in a large glass which had a sip of wine to taste and was accompanied with a small carafe which looked impressive. I tasted the wine and it was very good (The waitress did not wait to see if I liked the wine.) so I poured the carafe into my glass. Almost simultaneously my wife and our friend said, Is that all you get? I was very surprised at how small the serving was. Meanwhile I was trying to cope with a full blown allergy attack from the waitresses perfume.

Our meal soon arrived and everything looked to be very good. I started with the calamari and my wife had the fried oysters. The calamari was cooked perfectly but it was covered with a red chili sauce that was very spicy and highly over salted. My wife's oysters were coated with a very thick breading and were also over salted. Our friend was enjoying her salad which she said was very good.

My wife asked me if I wanted to leave. I wanted to at least try the my main course, the triple tail fish. The fish promptly arrived and it looked great. I was soon very disappointed with the same over salted taste.

I know that I should have complained but as bad as I was feeling I just wanted to go home and take my allergy pill.

We do not plan to go back and would not recommend the restaurant.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

We have been to Breakwater several times usually with a successful visit but this last time was a disappointment. My favorite entree is the diver scallops with corn risotto which usually is very good. Alas, this time my entree was served cold and I had to ask for it to be heated. I watched my husband just about finish his entree waiting for my entree to return and when my entree was finally re-served it was cold again. I ended up taking it home to heat it up myself. Holly our server was great! Don't know if we will go back anytime soon.

1  Thank fastturtle
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Recently stopped in at the Breakwater Restaurant after a day of shopping in beautiful Beaufort. My sister and I sat at the bar and we each ordered the Cornmeal Dusted Diver Scallops - pan seared scallops (2) which sat on a cream corn risotto. It was one of the best things that I've tasted in years. The scallops were seared to perfection and the risotto was melt in your mouth. Although we both just had the tapas portion ($13.00) each, we were both very satisfied. Our bartender (her 1st day on the job) was very friendly and we enjoyed chatting with her. Nice atmosphere.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

we had a most enjoyable dinner at Breakwater with another couple. we thoroughly enjoyed the tapas size diver scallops w/ corn risotto, which when paired w/ a salad was a satisfying meal. Both gentlemen ordered steaks and i can attest to the tenderness and fabulous taste - cooked as requested. i didn't care for the Caesar salad - the romaine was uncut and wrapped w/ a slice of ham (proscuitto?)which was rather stringy. others in our party had the iceberg wedge w/ blue cheese and the goat cheese beet salad which they enjoyed. we shared a dessert of chocolate molten lava cake which was as decadent as it should be. they offer a good wine list though the prices by the glass are a bit high considering the small size of the serving. we will return.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

Breakwater was a great find in Beaufort. The food was excellent (e.g., blackened Mahi) and affordable. The wine selection was impressive (and good bottle specials on Tuesdays and Wednesdays), and the service was top-notch. With a group of 10, including 2 toddlers, we never felt unattended. We will definitely return.