“Go With One Who Knows”

Lowcountry Photo Safaris
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a wildlife photography tour in the Lowcountry of South Carolina (mostly Beaufort County). We have 2hr ( for groups of 3 to 5 people) or the customary 3hr tours (1 to 4 people). The trips run around the calendar year the first three hours & the last three hours of the day (weather permitting), in a 19ft Carolina Skiff. Trips are seasonal and focus on the wildlife activity of the moment.
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I have had the pleasure of accompanying Eric Horan on three private wildlife photo safaris. Even though I am well-acquainted with the area, I am still in awe of the wildlife and birdlife that Eric knows how to find. Not only is Eric an award-winning photographer, he is also a fine naturalist and "scout". He'll take you where you want to go for that once-in-a lifetime photograph, or he'll take you where you never thought you could go! He has a superb knowledge of the local topography and waterways and an innate ability to "read the light" and place the photographer/guest in the best position to capture stunning wildlife and landscape photographs of the Lowcountry. This is a trip well worth taking for photographers of any skill level and for travelers who appreciate the beauty and benefits of the area.

PhotoGuide-Eric, Owner at Lowcountry Photo Safaris, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2015

Wink, thank you so much for the nice review! I enjoyed the wildlife adventures we shared as much as you did and will look forward to more time on the water with you in the near future. It is especially gratifying to me when I hear feedback like your validating what I try to do on each and every tour we do. After all, finding the best photo opportunities is my number one goal for each and every trip, two might be making sure the photo guests are ready and prepared to take advantage of these close encounters by sharing field techniques and putting us in the best place to acquire exciting wildlife images. Looking ahead!

There are newer reviews for Lowcountry Photo Safaris

Reviewed February 12, 2014

I have taken three delightful tours with Eric Horan (Lowcountry Wildlife Photo Safaris) and would highly recommend his tours to anyone interested in either photography or seeing nature at its finest. His tours are particularly useful to photographers, because - unlike other tours I have taken - Eric understands the needs of photographers and manages to put you in the thick of the action, in the best light and gives you a heads up on what to expect. I took an owl/osprey tour with Eric in 2013 (Santee) and was absolutely amazed at the success we had. Not only did we see owls, but Eric (and his assistant guides) was able to call the owls close to our boat and was able to predict where the owls would be coming from and where we could expect the owls to land. It was amazing.

I followed up this particular tour a few months later with a Shorebird Tour (out of Mt. Pleasant, SC) and took two photographer friends with me. Again, Eric managed to put us right in the thick of things and situated the boat so that we got the best possible shots, in the best possible light - again telling us where we could expect the action to come from. On this trip I managed to get shots of birds (and their babies) I have never gotten before and will certainly be doing this trip on future occasions.

The very first trip I took with Eric (about 2 years ago) made me a lifelong fan. I had just recently acquired the Canon 7D and was still trying to figure certain features out. Eric took the time to help me set the camera up correctly and I have been a happy camper ever since That first trip was a full day of shooting/instruction and the absolute highlight was taking us to an area where we got to see whooping cranes....an extreme rarity. I knew right then that I had stumbled onto to someone special...and plan to continue following him for many years to come.

In addition to his knowledge (insofar as photography is concerned) and his knack for taking you to the right spot, at the right time, the safaris are also very reasonably priced. Over the past years I have spent money on tours hoping to see particular animals/birds - only to be very disappointed. While I realize it is a bit of a crap shoot, I also know that the chances of seeing something are greatly increased if you go with someone who is familiar with the habits of the animal/bird you are hunting and who is familiar with the area you are in. Eric Horan does his homework and it shows in his tours. You can also tell that this is more than just "a job" to him. When your tour guide is just as excited as you are to see something (particularly something that you know he has probably seen 1,000 times before) - you know you are with the right guy.

Give Lowcountry Wildlife Photo Safaris a try - you will not be disappointed and perhaps I will see you on a future trip.

1  Thank Kathy H
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I have been on 5 of Eric's photo safari's and each time I go I learn something new. He is not only a fantastic guide but a real teacher as well. He has helped me immensely with my photography and knowledge of the wildlife here in the Lowcountry.
I will continue to take advantage of what Eric has to offer and his photo safari's are like a mini vacation. We are so lucky to have him as a local resource. I highly recommend photographers of any skill level reserve your spot now on one of Eric's safaris. Its an experience you wont soon forget. Phil

1  Thank Philip H
PhotoGuide-Eric, Owner at Lowcountry Photo Safaris, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Phil,
Thanks for taking time to write such a nice review of our shared time on photo adventures. I get so much out of sharing these photo opportunities with people like you, who have a passion for the great outdoors and photography. And it means a lot to me to hear how much value you feel you departed with. Can't wait for another!
Eric

Reviewed January 16, 2014

Going out with a guide who was intimately acquainted with the local waterways and wildlife was a great experience for me. This was my first opportunity to photograph birds and I enjoyed it immensely. Many thanks.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

In November 2013 my wife and I spent two terrific days with Eric Horan photographing wildlife in the Carolina Lowcountry. Eric's knowledge and professionalism were exceeded only by his warmth and good humor. We stayed in Eric and Jan's charming guest cottage next door to their home in Beaufort, which really made the trip complete, and we are already looking forward to our next Photo Safari!

3  Thank smn110