“Local Ingredients with a Twist”
Review of Saltus River Grill

Saltus River Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Saltus River Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 163 Restaurants in Beaufort
Cuisines: Sushi, Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Scott Street
Description: Historic Beaufort's Urban Seafood Grill. The Saltus Kitchen is home to a cast of talented characters committed to the culinary art form, experience and presentation. From it comes our area's freshest sushi, mind-blowing steaks and seafood and an unsurpassed level of quality. The Sonoma-Style Patio has offered countless guests a chance to unwind, to breathe deeply, to sip slowly and to laugh often. Perfect for a variety of events, our nook along the Beaufort River provides an exceptional experience. Reserve your seat today. (843) 379-3474
Reviewed April 15, 2014

My favorite type of dining is small plates, which lets me taste a variety of foods without feeling stuffed. And Saltus River Grill, a stylish room on Beaufort's harbor combines small plates with classic South Carolina favorites. (Full size entrees are available too). I started with an OK she-crab soup, but my small plate of soft-crab over grits was great. Our server was knowledgeable, friendly and attentive. For a Friday night, we could have felt rushed, but everything was paced well.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Excellent restaurant, large portions, good seafood. Open seating area with tables, but we prefer a booth in the bar atea. Vibrant bar scene. Outdoor firepit.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

While traveling on vacation, we made a reservation to eat at Saltus River Grill. Based on reviews, we expected an upscale experience. The inside of the restaurant is very nice ... just as stylish as expected. The patio outside, however, was a bit grubby. Tables are worn and a chairs a bit uncomfortable. There was the wood-burning fire, but it was putting out a lot smoke, which bothered quite a few people.

We started by ordering a bottle of $48 Pinot Noir that I later found in a store for $16. So they tripled the price. We eat out often, and almost always order a bottle of wine. I don't mind paying double, or even a bit more. But I was just plain annoyed at how high this was. Before dinner, they brought us the smallest bread roll we have ever seen. About half the size of a golf ball, two bites at best. And we each got one -- presented by the waiter with a pair of tongs. Very pretentious and silly. My husband asked for another one when the waiter finally came back. As it turned out, we didn't see too much of him. Our service was pretty slow and spotty, but I think it was due to the individual waiter. The table next to us got much more attention from their server. My husband ordered one of their speciality side salads, which was $9. For that price we expected something bright and interesting. But we have had better at Applebees. It was a very small plate of greens with some pickled onions. That was it. Then the dinners arrived. I had the shrimp and grits, which is supposed to be a signature dish. I found it somewhat dry and bland. Certainly nothing memorable. My husband had their blackened Dorado, which was good.

My biggest problem with this restaurant wasn't the average food and service. It was the price they charged us for sub-par performance. By the time we left, it was $176. If found it to be just stupid expensive and pretentious. We will definitely never return here or recommend it to anyone else.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

Saltus River Grill has a great selection of seafood and very attentive staff. We ate dinner here one night and there was a nice vibe about the place as well as a great fire pit outside to sit and enjoy a drink while waiting for a table. The location looks out over a park and the intracoastal water, but it's not exactly a water view since it really isn't that close to the water.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

Saltus is right on the water, has outside seating for good weather, the food was delicious. The inside seating is noisy, and if you have a party of more then 4, you are seated at long tables and conversation is limited by the noise and table.