“Will be back!”

Ranked #1 of 163 Restaurants in Beaufort
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Old Bull Tavern is a modern day Gastropub serving old world recipes prepared with care and where possible with locally sourced ingredients. The beverages offering includes craft cocktails, regional beers, and a comprehensive wine list.
Reviewed February 9, 2013

This was a first visit so we did not know what to expect. We were very pleased. The service was outstanding. We loved everything we ordered. I had the tomato soup which was yummy. The salad was good too and not your typical green salad. 2 of us got the beef which was very tasty. The salamon was outstanding. The lamb shank was fall off the bone tender. I thought the prices were quite reasonable given the quality.
The only draw back was that is was nosiy especially as it got later. The fire pit outside was a nice touch too and it was quiet out there!
Thanks for a great experience. Next time we will try dessert.

marshalljohn1, Owner at The Old Bull Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Lovinsc_11
Thanks for your recent visit, and kind comments. I am so happy you enjoyed your meal.
Glad you had the opportunity to sit by the fire after dinner and enjoy each others company.

We'll keep the fires burning in the kitchen and the fire pit and look forward to your return.

Best,

Chef John Marshall

Write a ReviewReviews (1,035)

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Stopped on a Tuesday night...we had heard the bar crowd on the weekends makes it a little noisy..nice bar crowd for a Tuesday..the pate (only $6) was outstanding...my wife equated it with the best she's had in Europe....she had the salmon which she loved...I had the hamburger, which came with potato chips...different than most chip but still potato chips....hamburger was ordinary...prices were right and we enjoyed the night

dataw29920

Thanks for your recent comments about my restaurant. I was pleased to hear that your wife enjoyed everything she ordered. I was also happy I could help when you called to find out the name of the wine you had.
Your hamburger was prepared using local Mibek Farms grass-fed, pasture-raised Black Angus beef, dry-aged for 21 days. There really is none better. I serve it on a buttered and toasted challah roll from an artisan bakery, with hand-cut Gaufrette potato chips, (as it states on the menu), as we have no deep fat fryer for fries. I am sorry that you found the burger was not to your taste, and inconsistent with the rest of the menu. Hopefully, on your next visit, we can provide a dish that pleases you.

Hope to see you and your wife back soon,

Reviewed January 29, 2013

My wife and I have been visiting Beaufort for several years and have considered it to be a "little Charleston" without the culinary excellence. The Old Bull Tavern has definately brought Beaufort a huge step to changing that. Located in the heart of the historic and charming downtown, it was only a few steps away from The Beaufort Inn where we usually stay when visiting.
Our visit on a Wednesday night found the place surprisingly filled with lots of well dressed and seemingly happy diners (not what I have seen in other Taverns), but we were greeted and seated quickly by a very sweet hostess and a very knowledgeable, helpful waiter arrived almost immeadiately. Being that my wife and I both are advid wine lovers we were hesitant when he told us about several selections of wines available "on tap" having had bad experiences with this concept in other places. The choices that we tried were top notch and splendid wines! As we looked over the menu we both had a hard time deciding on what to order and changed our selection a few times, we settled on the Gnocchi with shrimp and I chose a hamburger based on the high reccomendation from a nearby enthusiastic diner. The gnocchi was light, pillowy and absolutely wonderful. The burger was one of the best I have ever had!
We would have come back again the next night to try more of the menu and the wines on tap if only our visit wasn't such a short one this time. This place will be a new highlight and reason to return to Beaufort again very soon!

1  Thank Parker C
marshalljohn1, Owner at The Old Bull Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Thanks Parker C.
I hope you get back to Beaufort soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Recently ate here with my wife and some friends. We had asked for a table in the back to avoid the 'noise problem'. That location did help until the bar got crowded. Service was below average; maybe waiter was having a bad day .I got the impression we were bothering him if we asked for anything. My wife had the ricotta gnocchi with shrimp which she said was 'all right' (she is an excellent cook) Another had the lamb shank which he appeared to enjoy. Two of us had cheeseburgers because we couldn't get excited about anything else. I have heard (later) that the Moroccan beef is tasty. Folks at the bar seemed to be enjoying themselves and getting excellent service. We all liked the fire pit which greets you out front.

2  Thank CBray5

Thank you for your recent review of my restaurant.

It has inspired me to put down the pots and pans for a few moments each day to connect with the customers who take the time share their thoughts and opinions.

My most sincere apologies for the service issues you experienced on your recent visit.
Obviously the waiter you mentioned read your comments and was not only disappointed that he did not meet your expectations, but also did not detect that your were unhappy while you were here. He is a very conscientious person and oft requested waiter.

I take full responsibility for the menu. The Ricotta / Mascarpone Gnocchi recipe I use is from the kitchen at La Nogarrazza in Vicenza, Italy where I worked in preparation for opening Palladio Restaurant at Barboursville Vineyards. It also endures at Al di La, and Bacco in Charleston. It is a simple dish no doubt, but one that many of our guests enjoy. If it was just alright on the evening of your visit, it wasn't executed properly. I was happy to see that one of your party seemed to enjoy the lamb, and though you did not mention it I hope you enjoyed the Mibek Farms burgers even if they were a choice by default. Our menu changes frequently, perhaps the menu was not aligned to your tastes on this particular night. We number the times the menu changes on the right hand side of the page and we have at this point changed the menu 59 times in our four months.

We are sure to make mistakes as we grow but we do learn from them. Once again I am sorry that we fell short on the evening of your visit.

I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to prove to you that we are more than just an average restaurant.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed January 23, 2013

If its crowded, its noisey, other than that the wine on tap is excellent, The food is commendable and the service outstanding. Reservations accepted, ask for a table in the back.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts about the Old Bull Tavern.

I sincerely appreciate your patronage.

Kind Regards,