“County Inn & Suites Beaufort”

Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Beaufort West, SC
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Beaufort
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Not at all what one would expect from a County Inn & Suites, very disappointing! Air conditioner was so noisy we got very little sleep. Room was not very clean, outdated, Not sure what the "newly renovated" portion was, not the rooms, hallways or vending areas. Only positive was the front dkstaff were friendly and apologetic. Glad we had only booked one night here.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank DaveE1016
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Beaufort West, SC, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2013

We apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel and the guest room during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future. To discuss your stay further, please contact the hotel directly.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

We arrived & got our 1 bedroom suite. The room temp was 83 degrees & the a/c was set to 74. They didn't have any suites left, so we were put in a standard room. While very friendly, the staff has absolutly no authority to adjust the room prices when things go wrong. They also said they'd put in a note to get the A/C fixed. When I returned to the front desk when we checked out, the staff revealed that they had booked that room again, but the A/C was never fixed. It's obvious that no maintenance & major cost-cutting measures are in place here! Also the typical (I don't care & will never see them again) attitude prevails with management.

Management was never on-hand where we were in the building to handle this. I didn't have time to alter our trip just to try to stay for a manger to show up. So we ended up having paying a suite price for a standard room. The staff left notes twice to request an adjustment, but no action was taken. Further, there was no note or commication to even attempt to correct this.

It appears that no action is the norm here as the place is run down. Also, the only area that is air conditioned is the main lobby. The breakfast room & halls were not. In fact, the upstairs hall windows were open & the A/C was physically damaged. Oh, also, the drink machines were not fully stocked or replenished, so we had to travel to a different floor both nights to get drinks.

The Breakfast was (maybe) okay, but frequently ran out of items & were slow to respond. Overall, the worst hotel experience I've had in years.

The 3 good things I can try to come up with here: 1. The desk staff was friendly. 2. The room we ended up in, stayed an acceptable temp (about mid 70s even though we prefer lower). 3. Housekeeping did a good job cleaning the room.

The reason we stayed here is that is one of the few non-smoking facilities, but you can quickly tell that it wasn't always that way.

Beaufort is a nice town. It's not far from the beach, Savannah and even Bluffton SC, which have things to do. Just stay somewhere other than Country Inn, Beaufort, SC.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Donald T
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Beaufort West, SC, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

We apologize for the disappointing experience you had while staying at our hotel. I assure you that this is being looked into to ensure these mistakes do not reoccur in the future. I would like to speak with you directly on this matter so we can find a satisfactory resolution. Please contact Carlson Corporate Customer Care at 1-800-967-9182 and ask for Jon. You can reference tracking number 2814379 regarding this incident.

Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

Hotel has friendly staff. The rooms were clean but needed some work. The sign out front says "Newly renovated" but that's somewhat misleading. Our room had a stain that looked like water damage from the ceiling to about 2 inches down the wall all the way around. Furniture looked like it was half sanded half painted. I noticed the cover missing off a few outlets in the room. Breakfast was fine and pool was fine other than not being heated as advertised. The pool area seems to be in disrepair. Outdated gym equipment and there was a place for a tv but not one there. I would only consider staying here again if improvements were made. I'm loyal to the brand but there are many other options that are more comfortable for the price.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank CHBBGeorgia
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at Countryinn in Georgia and Panama and by far, this is the worst. Staff: We were surprised at the number of complaints we overheard just while passing the front desk or having breakfast. Such complaints included a misunderstanding as to hotel rate charged to credit cards and also guests not being able to reach hotel staff late at night. The front desk staff handled the guest complaints very well, always maintaining a smile. Food:
Personally, I found the breakfast to be substandard. The machine with the waffle mix does not function well. The orange juice is insipid. Seems as if they added too much water in an effort to control cost. My pet peeve, those disposable flatware placed in the cup upside down for all to touch. One guest sneezed in her hand then took up one of the spoons. I can just imagine the cold virus beginning to spread. Staff should be trained in how to display the plates, bowls, cups and flatware in a manner to avert guests touching those parts that will come in contact with other guests' food.
Room: In general, our room was relatively clean. One towel was a bit discolored. It seemed dirty...had the appearance of coffee spill or some other stain. However, it did pass the smell test. This would not be the Marriott. I consider Countryinn properties to be 3 stars. This one is definitely 1.5 to 2.

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank Elegance2
Shiv D, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Beaufort West, SC, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear "Elagance",

I sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We will use your thoughts and suggestions as a way to improve our product and service.

I do would like to let you know that we are continually improving and are dedicated to serving our guests.

If any guests would like to discuss lodging, service or standards with me please feel free to contact me. I can assure you that we operate in the same manner for each and every guest that enters our facility.

Unfortunately, we tend to only please about 90% of our guests who really appreciate everything we do. We are working to reach the highest level of consistency possible.

Shiv Desai
Country Inn & Suites Beaufort
843.379.4000

Reviewed May 5, 2013

This property is beginning to look worn but not yet torn. Staff were helpful and pleasant but the place simply needs refreshing. I don't get the feeling that local ownership/management is willing to spend a dime.

The breakfast pretty much reflected management's style by being fair at best.

The carpet in room 222 was worn but clean. The bathroom was adequate and included the basic toiletries. The furniture was worn and mostly uncomfortable.

The fold out sofa bed (more on that later) was not made up and when I informed the desk that there were no sheets, blankets or pillows in anyof the obvious places they assured me that I was wrong. When I ticked off the places that I had searched the manager looked horrified and sent someone up to make up the sofabed.

Now about that sofabed, they are all bad but this one should have been in the sofabed hall of fame. The mattress was lumpy and filled with some really horrid springs. The second night I pulled the cushions off the sofa, wrapped them in a sheet and slept on the floor.

Needless to say, I will not return under any circumstances

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank a410traveler
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Beaufort West, SC, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

We apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future. Also, we are sorry to hear you did not have a good night’s sleep due to the comfort of your bed. We know a good night’s rest is very important. We will discuss the conditions of your room with our staff to ensure all guest rooms are up to Country Inns and Suites by Carlson standards. To discuss your stay further, please contact the hotel directly, and ask for Randy LaGrone.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Highly recommend this Inn for any family that has a son or daughter in Parris Island. The location is perfect, there are many good places to eat around, and if you forgot your shirt for Family/Graduation day there is a store 50 yards away. Just bear in mind, there will be a few things wrong due to the number of families staying ,and the downtime the staff has to do maintenance to rooms. The continental breakfast we found was satisfying, although alot of people where up early, the staff tried hard to make sure the food trays were kept full. The front desk staff were very nice, and were glad to help with any questions. The pool was perfect for kids, could have used a good good scrubbing, but like mentioned above, staff needs time to do this. Our room was a suite and it was quite comfy and large.. Stay here and enjoy yourself.

Room Tip: Suites are quite large and comfy to us. 3rd floor might be good and there is a small street in back...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I was told the hotel is undergoing renovations but if a room is being renovated it should not be
given to guests until it is finished. We had a very large dead bug, no heat, no hot water in the sink, the milk in the breakfast room was sour. The manager did not call me as promised. I called him 4 days later and was informed that I only paid $51 for the room so I would not be entitled to any other discount for the stay. I did also pay 5,000 points from my account, but that does not seem to matter. The manager wanted me to go out of my way to stay there again, for free, and that was the only compromise he would suggest. I suggest that no one stay there until they get their act together and find someone with better manners. Country Inns & Suites were told about this and were very courteous and helpful and will look into this matter.

Room Tip: After checking into a room, check out the heat, hot water and general condition of the room.If not a...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Abagail M

Dear Valued Guest,

Please do not go this route and use 3rd party OTA's(Online Travel Agencies). Just like this guest you will end up paying for three nights. You must understand the non-refundable policy. Do not blame the hotel for trying to save 20%. I understand the frustration but it is not our fault. Please learn from your mistakes Abagail.

This guest booked their reservation through a third party online travel agency. The hotel nor it's staff is subject to scrutiny because you thought you would save money paying for an advanced purchase reservation through the expedia,priceline, etc.

If you booked directly through the hotel, you would not have to pay for those additional nights. In the long run if you booked direct through my hotel you would have saved a lot of money.

Shiv J. Desai