“Exceptional!”

Ranked #23 of 161 Restaurants in Beaufort
Cuisines: European, Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Griffin Market brings relaxed elegance and a taste of Italy’s Piedmont region to the lowcountry of South Carolina. Situated on Carteret Street in historic downtown Beaufort, the restaurant features the culinary and wine expertise of Laura and Riccardo Bonino. The couple moved the restaurant from its original location in the neighborhood of Georgetown, Washington D.C. in 2011. Laura is a veteran executive chef whose talent has been featured at numerous fine-dining restaurants across the country. Riccardo is an accomplished sommelier and is recognized for his unique gift for pairing wine with food. Griffin Market offers seasonal fare made with expert refinement for dinner 6 days a week and lunch 3 days a week.
“Exceptional!”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I don't get many nights off so whenever I get a chance to go out it is a big deal. Sunday Night I enjoyed one of the best meals with friends and family! We had an early reservation, 6:30, but the place was 3/4 full! Service was immediate and caring. Sunday Nights they offer a a family style, pre-fixed four course meal for $36! It's a steal! We asked for a wine with aged, something unusual, soft and medium bodied. Riccardo found a great bottle of wine and thus our evening was underway! We relaxed and let the fun begin! For apps we enjoyed a Watermelon salad tossed with Ruby Red Grapefruit vinaigrette, a hint of basil and fresh parsley ... incredible. Risotto Balls filled with cheese and a Veal dish with an incredible sauce and crunchy bread! The first course was amazing, perfectly cooked handmade pasta Bolognese. The sauce tasted like it had been stewing for a day, aromas of Tuscany right at your table! This isn't the pre made, Olive Garden down the road. It is real, patiently made and cared for food that is meant to be enjoyed bite by bite! I had Roasted local Asparagus and gently fried Egg next and it was like being back at grandma's! PEggy enjoyed the Cod and Jeff the Lamb. Everyone agreed their dish was the best! We finished desserts and ordered a great Sauterne to accompany. the Zabaglione with fresh Strawberries was EXCEPTIONAL! I have been to Italy MANY times in my life and know the country well. Griffin Market offers you a taste of Italy in Beaufort.

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank RichardLWilson

Athens, Georgia
“Overpriced snob appeal”
Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

Went for lunch. Service was initially a little snooty. The food arrived, and it was a small portion with no sides. I asked if it came with anything else and was told "you didn't read the menu." Food was good, but not great. I asked if we could have some bread, and was again told "you didn't read the menu". Then I asked for a refill on my tea and was told "no refills".

The lunch was expensive and definitely not worth it for the food and service we got. I emailed the restaurant later that day to tell them about my experience, thinking it had to be just a fluke, and got an email back from the owner, essentially saying "that's the way they do it in Italy, and if you don't like it, there are plenty of other restaurants in Beaufort.

I will definitely not be going back and will inform everyone I know to avoid this place, unless you like expensive mediocre food and being treated like dirt.

Visited May 2013
5 Thank Bryan H
“Italy in SC”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Again, Griffin Market serves some of the best food we have eaten. The variety, freshness and presentation is superior. Service is adequate and we never feel rushed. Best to let Ricardo choose your wine. He is always right!

2 Thank Ray and Dottie M
“Excellent dinner”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I agree with the reviewer who remarked that if this is the 12th best restaurant in Beaufort, I want to try the other eleven!

I'm a local but travel extensively for my job. I eat quite a few pricey meals in big cities. And, I recently spent two weeks in Italy. The food at Griffin Market is the best Italian that I've ever had outside of Italy.

I went to dinner Sunday night with three female friends, and we all loved what we had. The antipasti course was plentiful and varied - the best part for me was a pecorino cheese with black truffle oil. Three of us had a pork belly entrée that was the best pork belly I've ever had. Oh, and the tagliatelle verdi will make you want to lick your plate. Dessert for me was a chocolate custard with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. Fabulous!

Go to Griffin Market if you're in Beaufort. If you love authentic, complex food and an intimate atmosphere, you won't be disappointed.

3 Thank angelapeery
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“If this is only the 12th best restaurant in Beaufort, I want to try the other 11!”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is a fantastic restaurant. We went on a Sunday when they have their fixed price 4 course meal. Everything was beautiful, well presented, unique and delicious. Each course was better than the last. The appetizers really were unusual and authentic to the Piedmont region of Italy. Service is warm and attentive. The atmosphere is very nice and relaxing. You can tell the owners really have pride and want to share the food and feel of their home region of Italy. Also the value is excelent. Just make reservations. It's small and people without reservations were turned away.

2 Thank Djrbikes