“Love everything about it”
Review of Griffin Market

Griffin Market
Ranked #24 of 163 Restaurants in Beaufort
Cuisines: European, Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Griffin Market brings relaxed elegance and a taste of Italy’s Piedmont region to the lowcountry of South Carolina. Situated on Carteret Street in historic downtown Beaufort, the restaurant features the culinary and wine expertise of Laura and Riccardo Bonino. The couple moved the restaurant from its original location in the neighborhood of Georgetown, Washington D.C. in 2011. Laura is a veteran executive chef whose talent has been featured at numerous fine-dining restaurants across the country. Riccardo is an accomplished sommelier and is recognized for his unique gift for pairing wine with food. Griffin Market offers seasonal fare made with expert refinement for dinner 6 days a week and lunch 3 days a week.
Reviewed August 11, 2013

This restaurant has lovely seasonal, local food that is prepared to bring out every flavor. The menu changes daily based on what looks good at the markets. Sure, there are some staples - you will often see tagliatelle bolognese, but other dishes only show up when the ingredients are in season and look good - no wilted asparagus from three weeks ago. They also source their food locally, not just their vegetables, but also their meats and eggs. If you are not sure what wine to order with your food, by all means ask Riccardo - he knows his wine as well as the chef's food and will advise on a good pairing. Save room for dessert, too - the panna cotta and tiramisu are well worth the calories!

There are newer reviews for Griffin Market

Reviewed August 8, 2013

An unexpected find for this part of the country. Quality of the food is excellent. Food served in courses like Italy. Extensive wine list to compliment food. Would love to go back again.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

I love Italian food.... I had a friend coming into town and wanted to find a great restaurant to take her too. I'm new to Beaufort, and had tried different eateries in Beaufort, but hadn't found 'the one'.....

Although some of the reviews on Trip Advisor weren't so kind to the restaurant, I have never eaten in a bad Italian restaurant when the owner has been Italian!! So...as I never listen to others...........it was Northern Italian cuisine and I had lived in Milan, I decided to venture into the unknown! Oh and thank God I did!!

Absolutely incredible.....my friend and I had so much fun that evening....and one we will always remember. This was due not only to the wonderful food and wine, which was excellent, totally outstanding, and to be honest probably not enough adjectives to describe exactly how good the dining experience was.....to the extremely warm hospitality shown to us by Laura and Riccardo.

Riccardo very kindly gave us a tour of the 'wall of wine' which held some truly remarkable vintage bottles......and even brought us a complementary glass of 'Bollo' to go with our dessert.... All I can say is, if you wish for a true 'Italian' experience....go to the Griffin Market, you will not be disappointed, I promise. I'm so glad I live here, because it will now be my #1 choice of restaurant to take my friends and relatives too when they visit.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

We went to this restaurant for my mother's 80th birthday on July 31, 2013. We were thrilled because we love authentic Italian food. We were greeted on a very stormy night by the owner I think, since he spoke with a heavy accent. Much to our disappointment we waited a very long time to be greeted by him as the server. I asked if there was something plain on the menu because my daughter suffers from some disabilities and he shrugged his shoulders and seemed annoyed. We ordered and asked for bread. He said since we were not having antipasta we could not have bread. I said please if I pay for it can I have bread. He said no. The food was brought a while longer and he never checked on us again. A very nice helper stopped by and I asked for the check since the very nice hotel we were staying in was leaking and we had to move rooms. What a horrible experience. The owner treated us like dirt not knowing anything of us and our situation. I will be back to Beaufort with its warm hospitality and charm. I will not go back to this restaurant ever. When in Rome is my motto. If they only serve bread in a certain order in Italy I understand. This is this USA and in the south we are very hospitable. Please understand that. I could be alone on this but feel better posting this horrible customer experience on trip advisor.

5  Thank Adrienne K
griffindc, Owner at Griffin Market, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear adrienne, thank you for your review and the 4 stars for the food. We specify clearly on the menu, in a couple of different areas, that we serve bread only with the appetizers. But you decided not to order any. I should have pointed this out while taking your orders.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

If you are looking for an authentic, northern Italian dining experience, be sure to stop by Griffin Market and visit Riccardo and Laura. Riccardo, a native of the Piemonte region, will pick the perfect wine to accompany his wife, Laura's, amazing cuisine. Molto bene!