“So glad it rained that night...”
Review of Southern Graces Bistro - CLOSED

Southern Graces Bistro
Cuisines: American, Fusion
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Scott Street
Description: Indulgent Dining in a Beautifully Historic Setting, Southern Graces BISTRO at The Beaufort Inn is a diner's delight, featuring New Southern cuisine featuring fresh local ingredients presented in an artfully delicious way. Enjoy our legendary Vertical Cobb Salad or our Lowcountry Crab Cake for lunch or go ahead and treat yourself to dinner and enjoy our Land & Sea offerings that include Filet Mignon with Vidalia Bourbon Demi or our Crab Stuffed Grouper. Not to be missed on Sundays, our Brunch is a delicious treat with our famous Almond Brioche French Toast! We look forward to welcoming you for your delicious experience soon!
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“So glad it rained that night...”
Reviewed August 11, 2014

Rain forced us to stay indoors that night at the Beaufort Inn so we got a chance to have dinner at Southern Graces. We had already experienced breakfast here. Dinner was even better! They don't have a wine license but we were able to bring our own. Dinner was delicious. Four different pallets, four different choices. No complaints from anyone. Kudos to the chef! Prices were rational, ambiance was romantic. We will surely visit again.

Visited August 2014

“Epitome of Southern Charm on a plate!”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

The atmosphere is what I would picture being in a dining room of Titanic is like. It's beautiful wood, marble fireplaces, silver and gold wallpaper and etched glass encase 2 medium to small dining areas. The menu has something for everyone. Be aware that they are a BYOB restaurant and will gladly cork any wine you bring but they do not carry a wine selection. Priced reasonably, the menu had a selection of starters, soups and salads, fish and seafood and "turf" selections. We made reservations and were seated immediately. Their famous "pop outs" were the start to our meal. A buttery croissant-ish bread (large in size but hollow inside) were accompanied with a house made strawberry butter! Delish! We both ordered a citrus salad which was a mixed green salad with dried cranberries(white and red) ,slivered almonds, mandarin slices and a delicious Creamy citrus (somewhat sweet) vinegarette. Our main dishes were amazing! Served on a floral china plate (similar to your grandmother's southern china), the food echoed the plate. Hubby had a stuffed grouper, perfectly plated with French green beans and heavenly mashed potatoes! I got an amazing filet, huge in size! Perfectly seared and round! Melt in your mouth tender! The mashed potatoes were not too thick nor runny. Very creamy without losing the potato taste. Served with asparagus and a wonderful garish sauce (I'm not sure of the name) which was similar to a thickened beef broth/au jus... It was a difficult flavor to describe! But amazing! Hubby had the strawberry cake for desert and I had a chocolate creme brûlée. I didn't taste the cake... Hubby nearly swallowed it whole. (Assume it was delicious!) the creme brûlée was almost a chocolate cheesecake filling. Very, very rich! It's served in a small (very small) mason jar. When it came to the table I thought (oh no, it's just a taste). However, the first bite told me I needed no more than a small amount! Read: super rich! Hubby said it was the best fish he's had in Beaufort! And he eats fish everywhere we go! Overall, best meal we've had here and great value for the $! In other words, definitely a must go! Enjoy!

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank JHud1126
Marietta
“Underwhelmed”
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Our party of 4 visited on a Thursday night and were literally the only people in the restaurant. The server/bartender was friendly and excellent throughout our meal, and that's the highlight.

He brought out some popovers with strawberry butter which were nice, but the food quickly went downhill from there. Soups and salads were average. Salmon and pecan crusted chicken were okay as well. I ordered the rack of lamb (at the server's suggestion) and asked that the chef prepare it according to his preference for temperature (which I always feel is what you should do at a restaurant with a real chef). They came out basically well-done and very tough. If I had to guess, I'd say they were seared much earlier and reheated when I ordered them. My sister's steak was ordered medium rare but came out medium well. The server did come out and ask about the food, but being the only folks there, none of us felt like sending things back or making the young man uncomfortable.

For dessert, he offered a sample plate with chocolate creme brûlée, chocolate cake, and strawberry champagne cake. When he served it, however, he said the chef had substituted hummingbird cake for chocolate cake because the chocolate didn't look good. No one ate the hummingbird cake because no one at our table
eats nuts; it seems odd to swap a menu item without asking the customer and still charge for it. Also, the creme brûlée was actually chocolate pudding and had no brûlée to it at all.

I won't visit the restaurant again, and I suspect the chef may have taken the night off as he's apparently quite well known and has other great reviews. I would, however, hire the server for a restaurant of my own.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank JennMDu
Rochester, New York
“Amazing!!!”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

I have been a chef for over 23 years. My son was graduating from Parris Island boot camp. We looked up Restaurants on the internet and Southern Graces came up. We gave it a try. Let me tell you, this was one of the best meals I have ever had! And I am a Chef!! From the oysters as appetizer to the bone-in flounder was perfect. The chef clearly has attention to detail. I have not had a PERFECT meal like this since Roy's in Tampa, F.L. It was a little difficult to find the location but we were out of towners. The complimentary wine was wonderful. The sweet potato shrimp and grits were amazing. I usually don't get excited about restaurants, usually because they are just ok but this meal was a 10!!! They don't over charge for their meals. Wonderful Experience. PERFECT!!! Thank you, Kevin Inzinca

• Visited May 2014
3 Thank Kevin I
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Wonderful lunch”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Our family had lunch here after looking at their menu in the Visitor's center. We were not disappointed. We ordered the Southern Burger, Vertical Cobb Salad with grilled chicken, Fish Taco's with Mahi-Mahi, and Southern Quiche Lorraine. The presentation was excellent and the dishes were tasty and generous. Prior to our lunches being delivered we were brought warm popovers with strawberry butter. The service was good. The only comment I have was 2 of the wait staff were standing in the corner of the restaurant discussing people in the town. They should have taken their conversation out of hearing of those in the resturant.

• Visited May 2014