“Wonderful Walk”

Janet's Walking History Tour
Ranked #1 of 26 Tours in Beaufort
More attraction details
Owner description: You are about to take a fascinating walk back in time ! Join Janet Matlock for a 2 hour Walking Tour through the National Historic District of Beaufort, a stroll amidst some of the finest antebellum homes in America.
Reviewed September 24, 2014

Based on the reviews on TripAdvisor I decided to call "Jon Sharp's Walking History Tour" since my husband was golfing and I had a few hours to spare. Janet called me back within a half hour and my walk was scheduled!

Despite a very hot day with 100% humidity (or so it seemed) I -- along with just 2 other guests -- had an absolutely wonderful walk! I learned a lot about his lovely town and Janet pointed out several of the local architecture and buildings and spoke about its rich history. Do not miss this tour!

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"church"
in 17 reviews

Reviewed June 25, 2014

The walking tour was amazing and informative. Janet was patient with my son. This tour is the best way to really see beaufort!

Reviewed June 7, 2014

When you find yourself in Beaufolrt SC and want to soak up the local history, get in touch with Janet's walking tour of Beaufort.....formerly John Sharpe's tour.

Janet is a lot of fun and has lots of good information.

Get in touch with her via her website and book a tour. Well worth it!!

Reviewed May 23, 2014

We were in Beaufort for two days in April, driving up the coast to the Outer Banks. I had checked Jon Sharp out on Tripadvisor before we arrived, and I have to say that I agree with everybody else - his tour is excellent. Jon arrived here, according to his website and his own admission, as a shipwrecked New York State Yankee; he is a former Hollywood actor who came ashore in a Coast Guard rescue helicopter in February 1992 and "soon fell under the spell of Beaufort's natural beauty, her people, and her history." He turned out to be a passionate, poetic, informative, and colorful guide to this beautiful and storied city, showing us details we never would have noticed ourselves. He also apparently knows everybody in Beaufort by name. When we toured the churchyard of St. Helena's Episcopal Church, he pointed out the graves of young women and children and of confederate officers as if he had known them personally. We found out why some of the ceilings we saw had been painted blue (to deceive the wasps and the mud daubers into thinking it was the sky so they would not build their nests there), and why some of them had been painted black (to keep away the "haints" which the African Americans brought with them). And thanks to Jon, I now know what "tabby" is. Absolutely fascinating. Even if you are in Beaufort for a single day, his tour is worth your time.

See more reviews
Reviewed May 10, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our time with Jon on his walking tour. He was prompt, informed, entertaining, and kept a steady pace while being engaging with all the guests. Since he mentioned he plans on retiring the middle of may, we were fortunate to be able to take this great tour. Many of the locals even stopped to stay hi to Jon as he is very personable. He has great stories and respect for the patriots of history. The time flew by and we were wishing for more stories. This tour started and ended at the marina where there are plenty of eateries so you can catch a bite before or after or get ice cream to cool off:) Thanks Jon and best of luck in retirement!