“Well worth the trip”

Janet's Walking History Tour
Ranked #3 of 24 Tours in Beaufort
More attraction details
Owner description: You are about to take a fascinating walk back in time ! Join Janet Matlock for a 2 hour Walking Tour through the National Historic District of Beaufort, a stroll amidst some of the finest antebellum homes in America.
Reviewed October 12, 2012

What a great tour. Maybe off the beaten path, but well worth the time to come visit this beautiful little town. Jon is a former Hollywood type who was literally dropped from the sky into Beaufort. He provides a dramatic and fun tour of this historic town.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

We took Jon's tour of Beaufort on a hot August day. Jon's tour is just FANTASTIC! He was very knowledgeable of the area and history, has a wonderful speaking voice and does the tour in an AC van. It was just my husband and I on the tour and we reserved last minute.

We had originally scheduled a tour with Carly Ware of Beaufort Walking Tours. Carly did NOT show up for the tour. We called her twice and left messages and our number to see where she was. We never heard back from her. We then decided to call Jon Sharp and inquire about a later afternoon tour. No problem! Were we ever glad at the turn of events. We couldn't have asked for a better tour or guide than Jon!

Beaufort is beautiful and has lovely homes. We're so glad we were able to tour the city with Jon.

1  Thank joby01
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Decided to head South from Charleston on 06/29/2012 and visit the Charleston Tea Plantation and then on to Beaufort SC. I had never visited Beaufort and was aware of the rich history of the area in the War Between the States. We got to town late in the afternoon and temperatures were reaching 98 degrees. Too hot to do much walking downtown, but ate lunch at a local restaurant and then the wife decided to check out the shops. She went into one shop and discovered a tour was about to leave in an air conditioned van. Too hot for a horse or walking tour. We did not have enough time on the parking meter and they even offered to send someone down to put money in the meter so we could go on the tour. Southern Hospitality at its finest! Jon was our tour guide and he provided and excellent tour of Beaufort and those beautiful old homes. Beaufort has to have the most 1860's period homes in this country. Jon was very knowledgeable about the homes and their history as well as the town, and talked almost non-stop for the whole tour. I can't speak for the walking tour or the horse drawn carriage tour, but I'm sure they are just as delightful and worth the money. I never would have seen the number of homes we saw if I had decided to go it on my own. I highly recommend Jon and the tours in Beaufort.

2  Thank Mike32765
Reviewed May 19, 2012

My husband and I have taken walking tours in many cities and countries and I can honestly say that this is the best one we have ever been on.
Jon's historical knowledge of Beaufort and his obvious passion and love for the town is amazing. His enthusiasm is contagious and I ended up loving this town. Of course it helps that it is very beautiful, with magnificent houses, gardens, plants and a very dramatic history. The Spanish Moss and Oak trees are overwhelming. It is difficult to describe how beautiful they are. And one can appreciate everything so much more when you know their history.
The tour lasted two and a half hours. Jon was informative, enthusiastic and highly entertaining. We heard every word as he speaks loudly and clearly (acting background I presume).
For $20 this tour is a bargain. Take it and fall in love with Beaufort.

Reviewed May 19, 2012

We throughly enjoyed our history walk through Beaufort. If only Jon had been my history teacher! You could feel the anxieities the residence of Beaufort must have felt from settlement to present day, and you can actually picture the Union Soldiers working their way down to Savannah.