“A Novel Lunch Spot”

Nippy's Fish
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating
Description: Hand pattied burgers, fish, shrimp tacos and Moe's Shrimp Dogs. Live music in the evenings on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Beer and wine.
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Just an outside small group of tables in back of a little storefront and next to an outdoor parking lot. Excellent fried luncheon fare: lightly fried and/or blackened grouper, flounder; comes in a basket with string French fries. A nice and quick stop for lunch. Completely simple and fresh. We enjoyed it twice during our one week stay in Beaufort.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

We were in Beaufort for a day and after the carriage ride, stopped at Nippy's. It looks like a little neighborhood cafe but was full of locals and tourists alike. Most of the small menu is seafood as you would expect. My Grouper sandwich basket(sandwich, fries and slaw) couldn't have been any better for a early afternoon lunch. Don't let the appearance of the place fool you. Go in or outside and you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

We had lunch at Nippy's April 20 after a long absence. The seafood platters have fish and shrimp that are properly prepared and a lot of french fries. Prices are reasonable for what you get. Most of the seating is outdoors and the Saturday afternoon that we were there live music was playing under the trees. This is not fine dining but the food is good, prices are right, people are friendly' and the atmosphere is great. It is a very good place for a relaxed lunch.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

On a chilly Saturday, we dropped by and, as usual, the owner was hard at work serving great food. My wife always has the shrimp basket, I changed this trip to the fried oyster basket and thought they were the best I had had on years. Really good and fresh seafood served in unpretentious but pleasant surroundings.

1  Thank Bill E
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Nippy's was awesome - the best food we had in Beaufort. Small and no frills, with its outdoor seating in the corner of a parking lot, Nippy's surprised us with the quality of its food.

The first time we went, I ordered a flounder roll and my husband ordered a shrimp roll. Both were fried but only very lightly, and the flounder was the best and freshest I've ever had. (I generally avoid fried things, but this was not at all typical greasy fried seafood.) My husband said the shrimp melted in his mouth. The fries were like a cross between french fries and potato sticks and were also very good. We enjoyed our lunch so much we went back for dinner the next day and were disappointed to find it was only open for lunch this time of year, except for Thursday and Friday nights.

We returned for lunch a couple days later and I had the flounder platter and my husband had the fish tacos. The only difference between the flounder platter and flounder roll was that the platter contains more flounder and no bread, so I would recommend the platter over the flounder roll. The flounder was just as good as the first time, moist and fresh and very lightly fried. My husband's fish taco contained the same moist, fresh flounder, with a little sauce and a bit of a kick to it. He says it was "yummylicious."

The wait staff were nice, quick, and professional, and both times they brought our dog a bowl of water and some dog treats. We felt like our dog was very welcome there, which is always a plus for us.

Parking is on the street and seemed limited (as in much of the historic area of Beaufort), so we walked from our hotel. Nippy's is a very short walk from the waterfront and many of the hotels and B&B's. It doesn't have the atmosphere of the waterfront restaurants, but the food is better. We highly recommend Nippy's.

1  Thank Labnut