“Big waves great climb!”

Hunting Island State Park
Ranked #2 of 61 things to do in Beaufort
More attraction details
Owner description: Park that is a large secluded barrier island with a historic 1859 lighthouse as its centerpiece.
lakeland
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Big waves great climb!”
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Happened to visit before it rained so the waves were big and fun! Lighthouse was opened and the climb was not difficult. Great pictures and a beautiful view!

45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Pretty Park”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We arrived in the early afternoon and after paying $5/person admission for the park, you drive on a winding road thru a palm forest..very exotic. We parked to access the beach and started looking for the seashells that are supposed to be so prevalent here, but didn't see anything in the way of different or special shells, but morning is probably a better time for shelling. We were also surprised that there is another charge to walk up to the top of the lighthouse, so we didn't do that. All in all, it seemed like a nice wide beach that wasn't overcrowded.

Cleveland, Georgia, Usa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Family Tradition”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

My family has been vising Hunting Island since I was a toddler. The park has always been the nicest beach to visit in the area, no smoking or alcohol allowed and it is never too crowded. We have always had space for four chairs, a cooler, snack bag, and an umbrella without having to step over someone else or sit right next to another family. The pier is always a must for us, we go fishing and crabbing in the afternoons. I would highly recommend the park for anyone who is visiting the area!

SC
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Very Nice State Park”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Very nice beach but the bathroom facilities left a lot to be desired in the cleanliness department. This pretty much kept me from giving the 5 stars. There is a small entrance fee to the park and a $2 fee to climb the lighthouse. The lighthouse is the only one in South Carolina that is open to the public. A climb to the top on a clear summer day is a must. Walk further down the beach to check out the downed and water worn trees. Very surreal. I look forward to coming back in the fall to get the camping experience.

Beaufort, South Carolina
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Exquisite parkland, fascinating beach”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I have been to this park several times in recent years. Today was my most diverse experience. We started with the boardwalk across the marshes. Culturally we are conditioned to think of marshes as boring, dull, dirty--something we can fill in. In recent years we have come to appreciate how valuable these saltwater marshes are. They buffer inland areas from hurricanes and are the nursery for a large seafood industry.

Next we visited the Nature Center and Pier. There are restrooms and soda machines. The walk along the pier allows you to see the many people fishing and crabbing. The views are lovely. There are many enjoyable, educational signs explaining the importance of marshes.

There are two beaches, but the North is our favorite. Nestled below the stunning lighthouse is the most unusual beach I have ever visited. One side is pristine, thanks to the National Guard (I watched them working during the winter). The other is an intricate maze of fallen trees. Today at 2 pm, the shadows and enormous trees disintegrating into driftwood were stunning.

If you don't like crowds this is the beach for you. However, this is not a party beach. There are no lifeguards and the currents can be treacherous. If you are not a strong and experienced surf swimmer, do not go in over your waist. Don't worry, there will be waves and plenty of fun in the shallow water. Riptides are a problem here. Today I found myself being drawn away from shore quickly. I swam about twenty feet parallel to the shore and I was fine. DO NOT allow children into the water unless you are right beside them.

There are restrooms by the parking lot. Today the women's was nasty. Behind the restrooms are two rinsing stations. Today one was out of order. Behind these are two immaculate changing stalls.

This is a unique location. There is no beach like it and the vegetation in the parkland behind is dreamlike. I have not even mentioned the lighthouse (214 steps) which I did not climb this visit. It has been recently painted and is a fun experience.

1 Thank vlbvoyager