“Wishing I could have stayed longer!”
Review of Cuthbert House Inn

Cuthbert House Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Beaufort B&B and Inns
Gatineau, Canada
“Wishing I could have stayed longer!”
Reviewed February 9, 2011

I am a Canadian senior, female, happy solo traveler, who planned a mid-January trip to Savannah and Charleston to escape our icy winter. When several people told me I absolutely had to stop in Beaufort, I decided to stop for one night and emailed 2 or 3 B & Bs for info. I chose the Cuthbert House Inn based on the reviews and the very pleasant email response from the owners. Taking a Greyhound bus from Savannah, an hour away, I arrived in the pouring rain to find the bus station closed and no taxis. When I phoned the owner, Mary Ann, she immediately hopped in her car to come and get me.

As soon as I saw the house and my wonderful Courtyard Room, I immediately decided to stay an extra night and changed my Charleston reservations. I found the house absolutely beautiful throughout. My favourite spot was the cozy sunroom, overlooking the water and Spanish Moss hanging from the huge live oaks on the front lawn. The house is part of the Heritage Tour of Beaufort and certainly is one of the most beautiful houses on the tour.

My room, the Courtyard Room, was delightful. It had a completely separate entrance. Decorated in the bright yellow and blue colour combinations of Provence, it was welcoming, cozy and impeccably clean: comfortable bed, ironed sheets, great reading lamps on both sides of the bed, TV and DVD player, music CDs, a comfortable easy chair, a desk, a curio shelf, bottled water. There were very attractive blue and yellow pieces of pottery on the wall and furniture. The bathroom was spectacular, almost 12 feet deep and 10 feet across, with a small fridge (so convenient!), coffee pot, nice shower, a thick and fluffy white cotton bathrobe, plenty of towels, and bottles of toiletries in pretty blue cardboard boxes with a drawing of the house, avery nice touch. There was even a small jar of high quality lip balm.

The dining room is lovely, as is the living room where wine and cheese is served. It was very pleasant to talk with Mary Ann and the other guests.

I walked to the center of town in a few minutes and took a very interesting Heritage Tour with "The Spirit of Old Beaufort", with a well-informed and very pleasant guide. I had lunch at nearby Plum's, great sandwiches and nice salads. It was great just to walk around and admire the houses and fascinating graveyards. The location of the Cuthbert Inn is perfect.

At one point, my camera card became full and I had to have my pictures transferred onto a CD. Although she was very busy, Mary Ann took the time and had the patience to clear my card by downloading all my pictures onto her computer and subsequently erase them so that I could continue to take pictures for the rest of my trip. I was very grateful that she helped out that way.

Although the weather was cloudy with some rain and drizzle, I had a wonderful time in Beaufort, throroughly enjoyed my stay at the Cuthbert Inn and hope to return some day.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Micki063

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Johns Island
Reviewed January 16, 2011

We enjoyed our visit to the Cuthbert House Inn B & B. It is a gorgeous eight room, 200 year old mansion that over looks the bay through the live oaks and Spanish moss. It is a stone's throw to the waterfront park where one can sit and watch the dolphins, ducks and yachts. Owners Mary Ann and Jeff make you feel right at home with their 5 o'clock wine and cheese get together. You get to know the history of Beaufort and their home while discussing many topics with them and other guests. The home is beautifully decorated and they have covered all amenities that one may need. You can park your car in their lot and walk down Bay street to the downtown area, a walk of only two blocks. We enjoyed the Parris Island Marine graduation on Friday morning and their free museum and movie. It is a very moving ceremony and we had to see it indoors because of the cold morning. There are 50/year on Fridays and all you have to tell the security officer is that you are going to graduation. I understand that they also have a very nice golf course but that will be on the agenda when we return. We enjoyed going to Hunting Island and viewed the movie at the welcome center, walked the beach, toured the lighthouse area and visited the nature center. There are many trails that you can walk. Cost is $5.00/person. We stopped at the Shrimp Shack which was only fair for lunch. Enjoyed the Penn School on Martin Luther King Blvd in St. Helena Island to learn more about the Gullah culture. Had a very nice seafood meal at Dockside on 11th Street in Port Royal. I had a very large piece of grouper and my wife sea scallops. It is a family type setting and Mary Ann has directions for the short ride. We enjoyed Nippy's for their shrimp burger and fish and shrimp tacos. It is very interesting, very good but go on a warm day since there are only three tables inside the small edifice. We had very good gumbo at Marilyn's Lunch at Southern Sweets at 917F Bay Street. Luther's Pharmacy was okay for burgers and bar food. The chocolate candy store is very overpriced but good. .Paris

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Cypress, California
Reviewed December 30, 2010

We loved waking up in the second floor ballroom overlooking Bay Street and the sound.

Mary Ann and Jeff, the owners welcomed us as long lost friends and had great hospitality in a beautiful setting with great charm.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
chicago
Reviewed September 24, 2010

My wife and I stayed in the Mariner room for two nites. We were a little apprehensive about a garden room. Make no mistake, this is more like a wonderful, fully equipt apartment. The place is spotless. The house is walking distance to everything in Beaufort and the host and hostess are so welcoming and helpful. The spacious front porch overlooks the bay while the rear gardens invite you to relax with a book. We hope to return here next year.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed September 6, 2010

I just got back from staying at the Cuthbert House Inn. What a great place to stay! Mary Ann and Jeff felt like family by the time we left. We really enjoyed the evening get togethers with them and the other guests. The Inn was so peaceful, and I loved sitting in the sunroom and on the veranda. The rooms were so spacious and the breakfasts were delicious. Beaufort was wonderful - full of historical sites and unbelievable houses, great shopping and art galleries, excellent restaurants, boat rides, beautiful walks - I never moved my car except to go to gorgeous Hunting Island beach! I can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 19, 2010

I had only stayed in a couple B&Bs, and my friend had never stayed in one. We both walked away feeling like we will never stay anywhere else. I can't praise Cuthbert House enough. We were in a suite, and everything about it was great. It was both beautiful and comfortable. (We were in the suite with the civil war solders' signatures etched into the mantle. Super cool!) It overlooks the harbor. The hosts are so gracious and fun. They put all of us at ease. I was a little nervous about going to the "happy hour" but it was a lot of fun. One of the days that we were in Beaufort it stormed, and we stayed at the house and played cards on the porch, which turned out to be one of the most fun moments of our trip. We would go back in a moment purely for a lazy weekend, without even spending much time out and about in Beaufort - it really is that charming and comfortable. If possible, stay more than one night. You won't be sorry.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Reviewed July 10, 2010

Recently spent 5 fabulous days at the Inn. Beautiful and very personable. The host and hostess/owners were the best I have experienced. We so much enjoyed social hour (5 - 6pm) that no matter where we were we tried to make it back not to miss it. We experienced a few day trips to the beach, Savannah and flew in and out of Hilton Head Island. But, enjoyed the Inn most off all. Across the street from a beautiful view on the bay and downtown were great restaurants, sight seeing, carriage rides with historical facts for an entire hour and shopping. Lounge around on the swings on the waterfront or take a bike ride to some wonderful film sites of the area.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple