“Fabulous”

Ranked #2 of 5 Beaufort B&B and Inns
atlanta
“Fabulous”
Reviewed October 10, 2007

When we arrived we were greeted with a friendly welcome. The location was the best. Breakfast each morning was fabulous. I have plans to return and bring my husband. I could not have asked for more. Thank you for making our stay special.

• Liked — location, food, friendly people, historic house
  • Disliked — Northing, it was perfect
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank tennisatlanta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Iowa
Reviewed September 10, 2007

My husband and I flew into Charleston and drove straight to Beaufort, we were very pleased to find the Cuthbert House Inn right on the bay with beautiful views and walking distance to restaurants as well as little swings overlooking the Bay. We stayed in the Federal Suite as it had a canopy bed on the top floor. The owners were very gracious, we had wine and appetizers when we arrived that evening, had a very delicious dinner at the Panini, a bank that had been converted into a restaurant (however I wish we would have asked to be seated outside as it was a nice night), but the view was great of the bay upstairs. The breakfast in the morning was fabulous at the Inn. Our room, the common areas and bathroom were ideally suited if you are looking for a true victorian era feel. We loved it. The owners suggested a drive to Hunting Island which is a state beach not far south of Beaufort and offered the use of their beach chairs and beach towels which was extremely thoughtful. Hunting Island was absolutely beautiful and our favorite part of our trip. White sandy beaches, with these amazing trees as a backdrop to the beach. Also be sure to stop at the little beach shop just before you get their as they have a nice selection of merchandise that we did not find at Folly Beach.

Stayed August 2007
Ormond Beach Florida
Reviewed July 29, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed here in 2001 and again in Dec. of 2006. He proposed to me here in December, it's a wonderful place for a proposal! This place is beautiful and the breakfast was outstanding. We stayed in the ballroom both times and loved the room!

Stayed December 2006
2 Thank myhuntr
greenville, sc
Reviewed June 27, 2007

Recently stayed at the Cuthbert House for three nights. First the positives:

1. Must compliment Jeff on his efforts to ensure a quality stay.
2. Location, location, location.
3. House is an antebellum mansion and you can't help but feel the history.
4. View off the front porch across the bay is wonderful.

Now the issues:

1. Yes, the house is historical; however, it is beginning to show some signs of disrepair. Could use some touch ups.
2. Housekeeping wasn't as thorough on restocking bathrooms, etc, as it should be.
3. Breakfasts were fine but seemed a bit ordinary-scrambled eggs, waffle-nothing special (there was fresh fruit every morning).

Overall, nothing really wrong with the stay. However, at prices I consider to be primo, I did not feel the overall experience matched. I would not not recommend the Cuthbert, but I will likely try elsewhere on our next trip.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank deepfreud
Ellijay, GA
Reviewed June 26, 2007

We just got back from a 3 night stay at the Cuthbert House Inn and it was absolutely perfect! Upon arrival we were greeted warmly and promptly by Jeff. He then showed us around the home and up to our room. Social hour from 5-6 pm in the parlor offered lively conversation from both Jeff & Mary Ann along with wine and delicious treats. They made great suggestions on restaurants making sure we knew if it was only open for dinner. Mary Ann was extremely helpful with real estate information.
I truly felt as if we were visiting long lost friends.

One of the MANY great advantages of the Cuthbert House is the location. It is within a short walking distance to the best restaurants in town and the beautiful new riverfront park.

We stayed in the Federal Room with gorgeous views of the waterfront. It was on the upper floor and those rooms had access to a porch overlooking the water. In fact, it seemed that every room had an outdoor porch or couryard area in addition to the main veranda and beautifully landscaped main courtyard.
While we knew the inn was completely full, we did not hear one sound from any other rooms or the hallway.

In the morning coffee was delicious and ready for us to take up to the room, porch or library. I really appreciated the staggered seatings for breakfast. There were plenty of other guests to chat with but the dining area wasn't completly full. While we're on breakfast.... We had Pecan waffles the first morning, frittata (with buscuits and grits) the second and french toast the third. Each was accompanied by beautiful fresh fruit, sausage, coffee and a wide assortment of juices.

We were so thrilled with the Cuthbert House we are planning to visit again in October. Everything was far better than we ever imagined.

• Liked — Near restaurants, spectacular views, soft sheets, great hosts, yummy breakfast
  • Disliked — I liked everything.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cabinqueen
va.
Reviewed May 11, 2007

Cuthbert House B and B, Beaufort, S.C. April 12-15,2007

My son got married on April 14th at Old Sheldon Church and I had my entire family coming from other states for the wedding. This was going to be a family reunion and a very Southern wedding. I rented the entire Cuthbert House for us to stay in for 4 days. It set the tone for the wedding and added so much to the entire experience. There were 15 of us and we were coming and going at different times. Mary Ann and Jeff made everyone feel welcome and were always available for whatever we needed, even if it was just to chat. Cuthbert House gave us a quiet place to relax between events, and a central gathering place for other wedding guests. It was nice to be able to sit on the veranda, have a glass of tea or wine and just enjoy the great view of the water and boats. Breakfast was always good, and again, they had to accomodate 15 different schedules. The house is absolutely beautiful and furnished, so you feel as if you had walked into another era. We really did not want to leave. I would recommend staying here to anyone staying in Beaufort, as it feels like a different world and gives you an experience that adds to your vacation. I hope to go back soon, just to enjoy the Cuthbert House and Mary Ann and Jeff's great Southern hospitality.

• Liked — Atmosphere
  • Disliked — not enough time to enjoy the setting (not the inn's fault)
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank cbsva
VA BCH, VA
Reviewed May 11, 2007

I spent 3 days in mid April stepping back to another place in time at the Cuthbert House Inn. My suite was very private and quiet...and beautiful. The bed was very comfortable, the room inviting and peaceful. I fell in love with the experience and really felt a sense of sadness when leaving...like leaving your grandmother's house. I felt pampered with freshened ice every day, wine and snacks at 5 on the veranda, a chaise on which to read or nap in the afternoon, a garden in which to sit and contemplate, a lovely cooked breakfast beautifully served (personal changes honored) with great coffee ready in the morning to enjoy in the little garden room with the morning paper or later in the dining room with breakfast. . The staff and our hosts, Jeff and Maryann, were the perfect blend of being available and invisible. They were friendly and informative and added to the feeling of welcome. We received friends in the magnificent sitting room after a dinner in one of the local restaurants. It was a great pleasure to have such a warm and homelike place to extend an enjoyable evening for quiet conversation. I wanted to "hold on" to the Cuthbert House experience as long as I could. I'll be back and am telling everyone I know about this place. It is like a secret you want to share with good friends. Virginia Beach, VA

• Liked — The beauty, orderliness and service made the stay most enjoyable.
  • Disliked — There were no negatives.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family