“Not quite first class”

Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Beaufort
Mars
“Not quite first class”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

My sister booked with a Groupon which lowered the price to a reasonable level and our stay was quite comfortable and enjoyable. Nice location to walk to the waterfront and restaurants. Good breakfast with a friendly "chef". However, the handle on the toilet came off in your hand and was difficult to use, and the hair dryer just would NOT turn on. I expected first class and these little annoyances disappointed me.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank RAMMars
Sandra C, General Manager at The Beaufort Inn, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am so glad you had a great experience outside of a few maintenance issues. I apologize for that. Thank you for recognizing our wonderful Chef prepared breakfast. We'll continue to work hard to "get it right" all the time. Please come back and visit us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
shelby twp
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We loved our stay at the Beaufort Inn. It was the highlight of our vacation!!!!! We stayed in room 22 of the cottages.
The room was clean and homey. They had a "rain shower" which was great. Let me tell you about our meals in the
onsite restaurant. The breakfast's were fabulous! They had two different kinds of french toast which were delicious,
We had dinner there one night and my husbands pork loin was melt in your mouth wonderful. Can't say enough
about the restaurant. Make sure you try it, you won't be sorry. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We had a
couple issues which were resolved quickly. The staff was always eager to help and make your experience at the
Beaufort Inn one that you would always remember!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review. I am so glad you loved our Port Republic Cottages and their incredible bathrooms with rain shower heads. We get so many wonderful comments about our daily fresh Chef prepared breakfast, but thank you for also pointing out the great food at lunch and dinner. Please come see us again soon and try some other great menu items.
Hampton, SC
Reviewed April 12, 2013

My husband & I planned a trip here for our babymoon. It was our 1st trip away from our 2-year-old daughter & most likely our last trip for quite a while with a new little one on the way. When I called to reserve our room, the staff member went over the different options. She told me about the cottage, and I asked if it was a single-room building. She said yes, it would be perfect for us- privacy & quiet for our romantic getaway. We got there & we were taken to a house with another family staying in the same cottage. There door was about 5 ft away from our door. And they had a child. Not exactly the romantic getaway we were hoping for. A night away from our own child, the last thing we wanted was to be awakened by someone else's child. Also, we realized there was no coffee pot in our room. We went to the lobby, and the lady handed us one from the kitchen to take back to our room. The next morning my husband got up to make coffee only to discover the maker was broken. So instead of having a nice, relaxing cup of coffee together on the porch, we had to sit there & wait for the brunch to open. The worst part of all of this is that I have now contacted the Inn 3 times about our stay and have been completely ignored.

Room Tip: The hotel itself looked nice so I'd shoot for staying there. I don't know that I'd recom...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CaryD800
Thank you for your review. I am so sorry your getaway weekend did not turn out as planned. While we could not have foreseen that your neighbor would have a child, normally our guests love the Port Republic Cottages which are spacious and romantic. Please contact me directly at 843-379-4667 and ask for Sandra to discuss your stay.
Honea Path, South Carolina
Reviewed April 12, 2013

This was my 2nd trip for my husband & I. We made reservations, received a confirmation, & a thank you letter for staying there. Upon check-in, we were told that our reservations did not "transfer into their system". The reservationist said not to worry, the manager would make it right. The manager walked out & told me what happened. She said that my credit card had not been charged. She then preceeded to ask me if I wanted her to call around to find us somewhere to stay. My husband & I drove 4 hours to get there. I was so angry, I went to the car. It was then after I got upset that the manager offered to find us somewhere to stay & pay for 1 night. We were so disappointed we left. This is not good service recovery! It shouldn't have taken me getting upset & going to the car for them to do the right thing. So be advised, confirmations don't mean a thing at this establishment!

4 Thank Carmen B
Macon, Georgia
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We highly enjoyed our visit to Beaufort and loved staying at the Beaufort Inn. We made our registrations through Groupon and the staff gave us a room upgrade for our anniversary which I thought was a nice touch. We stayed in the cottage behind the main house. It was very quiet and our room was spacious. I loved that we were on the second floor and had a private balcony and vaulted ceilings. The bathroom had a soaking tub and an awesome shower. Breakfast was included with our Groupon but we only took advantage of it the first morning because it was SUPER greasy. I dropped the ranking down a star because occasionally the staff seemed a little disorganized. Plus, I asked the staff for restaurant recommendations and they only recommended the on-site restaurant. Obviously I know that's there, I walked through it to get to the lobby...

We would 100% stay here again. We loved being able to walk everywhere downtown and have a peaceful quiet stay. Loved it!

Room Tip: We stayed in the cottage behind the main house. Easy access to free parking and very quiet. Ask fo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review. You stayed in our Garden Cottages with private balconies and wonderful large bathrooms. I am glad you enjoyed your room and your stay. We get so many great reviews about our Chef prepared breakfast that I don't know what was greasy, but I will pass your comment on to the Chef and we will continually work harder to gain your complete and total satisfaction. Thank you again and we look forward to hosting you again soon.
travelingcats14
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I liked The Beaufort Inn. This was surprising to me as I usually gravitate to larger hotels rather than B&B's. However, with both the main house and a variety of surrounding bungalos, the inn felt more like a small village. We stayed in one of the out buildings (Room 15). The room overlooked a side street in the front and another bungalo in the back. The room was large and spacious and the bathroom even larger. There was a king size bed as well as a small sofa and two chairs. There was no desk but I wasn't planning on working so it didn't matter. Lighting was good and everything was very clean. I think Room 16 was set up in the same manner. We had friends who had a room facing the main street which was a living room and a bedroom and was lovely and very comfortable. I didn't see the rooms in the main building but the lobby as well as the front porch were inviting to sit and relax. We ate dinner at the inn and it was excellent. The inn does not have a liquor license and we were not able to find a wine store so purchased a bottle of wine from a restaurant down the street.

This would have been an Excellent rating except some structural issues with our bungalo which we were able to work around but might be issues for other people. First, there was something in the floors which was covered by a throw rug presumably so no one would trip. Unfortunately, the throw rugs were constantly askew and we ended up tripping over them. Second, we noted that the floors sloped downward which made you feel that you were walking downhill toward the bathroom and third, the water from the shower leaked out and was ruining the floor in the corner of the bathroom. I didn't think we were in any danger and I did like the room but the Inn should take care of these issues.

That said, I would stay here if I visit Beaufort again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ohio
Reviewed April 4, 2013

By far one of the nicest inns we have ever stayed in. Consierge was very helpful and knowledgeable about restaurants and the area. Check-in was easy. Located in an historic house with outside cottages. We stayed in one of the cottages. Beautiful and very clean. Extra large bath with claw-footed soaking tub,huge shower with rainfall shower head in ceiling and two wall sprayers. Also two sinks. Breakfast was was prepared and served in a beautiful room. Large courtyard,spa, zen garden and restaurant on premises. Also afternoon refreshments served. Free parking across the street. One block from downtown shopping,restaurants and waterfront. Wonderful large front porch with plenty of seating. Will definitely return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the kind words. I am so glad our staff and facilities exceeded your expectations. Please come visit us again real soon.