“Perfect Place”

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Beaufort
Boston, Massachusetts
“Perfect Place”
Reviewed September 13, 2011

This hotel is clean, the staff is very helpful, and the location is great.

We arrived the day of Hurricane Irene hitting NC. We left Boston earlier than originally booked, and made our connection in Baltimore to get us into Charleston much earlier than planned. By the time we drove to Beaufort, we were still a couple of hours before check-in time, and they didn't miss a beat and got us our room.

Yes there was construction all day on Boundary Street side of the hotel. But we were gone all day and it didn't bother us. The pool was relaxing after a day of driving all around the area. The parking area is well lit, and the in-hotel restaurant was decent.

There were so many places in this area. Each evening we would go downtown and visit the local establishments (Hemingway's, Saltus River Grille) and watch the river go by. During the day it was convenient to all the areas we wanted to check out (Lady's Island, Hunting Island, etc) and more restaurants.

We will stay here again when we return for another visit to Beaufort.

Room Tip: If you want a view, ask not to be put on the Boundary Street side.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank WyndyK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Nevada
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Just finished a 2 week stay here, I was with a group of 40 plus people. The Hotel is Outstanding; the front desk clerks are the most friendliest and helpful that you will find anywhere. The grounds are always very clean and the room was always maintained perfectly. We have stayed at many different places during our travels and this one ranks at the top. The hotel has a restaurant and we ate their daily for breakfast, the food, the waitress and cook do a great job and the food was always good. The only thing that I would have a small complaint about is the pool has no shade; umbrellas would be a great addition. Other than that I would very highly recommend this Hotel in Beaufort.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank myvega
Mt.Pleasant, SC
Reviewed June 29, 2011

This is what it feels like when I come to work in the low country. My job brings me to Beaufort and Hilton Head, South Carolina, and Savannah, Georgia,and I always stay at this hotel because they make me feel at home. It is not the most convenient when I am in Hilton Head or Savannah, but it is the most pleasurable. They welcome me by my name and they always treat me like first class, whether I am checking in or dining in. Heather, Kristie, and the gang are much more then just customer service they are friends and when traveling as much as I do, I much rather stay with friends.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank wallyworld06
Beaufort, South Carolina
Reviewed June 24, 2011

This is the 3rd time we've stayed at this hotel in the past year, and this time for 6 nights. Rooms are very comfortable, and even though the hotel is still fairly new, it is being very well maintained.

My only complaint is the shower. They are in need of a ledge so legs can be propped up to shave them!! Also you have to get into it on the end where the water sprays out, and there is no way to position the nozzle otherwise. Very poorly designed I think!

We always travel with cocktail/wine glasses and for some reason the maid removed them from our room. The staff was diligent in their search to find them - but only one was found.

If the occasion arises - we will make this our hotel of choice on our next stay in Beaufort as well and are happy to recommend it to others.

But PLEASE! Find a remedy for your poorly designed showers!

Thank you!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Luv2Dine55
Sanibel Island, Florida
Reviewed June 18, 2011

Yes, this hotel is quite nice in terms of the infrastructure and design and it was convenient, though the location is very commercial and lacks any charm. But were it not for a very bad breakfast experience, I would have rated it a 4 rather than 3.

When we arrived for breakfast, the kitchen supervisor was in the middle of what seemed to be a dressing down of the cook. She was not even aware we were there, only 4 feet away from her. The waitress noticed us and called the cook's attention to our presence.

Our breakfast meals were ok, though we had to swat off the flies that buzzed the dining area. Being ignored, however, while hotel staff irons out their problems is an indication of deeper issues and I would look for other lodging possibilities the next time around.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Samba
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed May 30, 2011

I stayed here with my husband, who is a Beaufort native, last year and loved it., The hotel is very nice and in a good location. Just returned from a two night stay from May 27-29, and had a horrible experience with the breakfast staff. It was extremely crowded because of the holiday weekend, and we seated ourselves. We then got in line and ordered omelettes. I found a waitress and asked her for coffee, and she proceeded to tell me that they were seating people and it was posted in two places, which I obviously didn't see ( RUDE) so she would get to me when she could. We waited at least 20 minutes for coffee, and even longer for omelettes. I asked to speak to a manager, and was told I had to speak with the same employee who told me about the signs I didn't read. She talked over me in a very loud tone, so the tables near me knew I had complained. My complaint was initially about the process,not the staff, but this employee lacked customer service skills on so many levels. She wasn't discreet, talked over me repeatedly, and told me that anytime a restaurant is busy, you have to wait longer. She even gave Outback as the example. She did comp the breakfast, but I have never seen unprofessional staff in a hotel. Because she kept asking the chef when my omelette would be ready ( I didn't ask her to), he became agitated. Her tone of voice is so loud that everyone heard her. I ate breakfast for the second time during my stay and I was uncomfortable because of how she handled my complaint the day before. I know the chef remembered me, because I went to order my breakfast with my husband, he greeted him, said nothing to me and asked my husband how he could help him. I was standing in front of my husband the entire time, and my husband politely asked the chef to take my order first. Everyone has a right to complain if they feel service does not meet expectations, and she basically told me that I should have known it would take longer because of the bus of customers that proceeded me and stated it several times. I travel to Beaufort regularly with my family, and like the hotel, but probably won't stay there again. I'm rating it average only because of the poor customer service when I had a valid complaint. The front desk staff was very helpful and provided excellent customer service . The breakfast was actually very good on both days, my complaint is about the terrible customer service I received. It was embarrassing for me and my husband. It was my first time ever having such a terrible experience at ANY hotel and I hope it's my last

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank happilymarried0815
tara_anderson, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Beaufort, responded to this review, June 10, 2011
Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to speak with you regarding your experience with our restaurant staff. I apologize for the issue and appreciate your feedback. I have addressed your concerns and shared your comments with the staff and I truly believe it was miscommunication on our part. It is never our intention to make you feel embarrased or otherwise. I look foward to you returning and as I stated to you during our conversation, I would like to extend to you an upgrade to one of our beautiful, spacious suites when you return. I also would like for you to have breakfast on us and experience our fresh, made to order service. As always, please feel free to contact me with any concerns you may have and thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Tara Anderson
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed May 9, 2011

Having never been to Beaufort before, I really didn’t have any expectations. The Hilton Garden Inn is a newer property about a couple of miles or so from downtown Beaufort, so walking to sights was not an option, particularly because the hotel is near a busy roadway. The hotel itself is situated slightly off the busy roadway, so there wasn’t any car noise which was nice. The hotel property looks out onto a marsh area…except for my room, which, according to the fire escape map was the smallest of the room sizes (avoid the 11’s – 111, 211, 311, 411) as all were smaller and looked out at what looked to be an addition onto the hotel’s main building.

Overall the room was nice and clean. There was no tub, just a walk in shower. The glass on those things can get dingy, and this room’s shower was getting a little cloudy. The Hilton Garden Inn beds are supposed to have a function similar to a Sleep Number where you can dial for the firmness to your liking, but after experimenting, I didn’t notice any difference.

I only stayed one night, so I can’t comment much more. Well, one more comment. Breakfast. The hotel’s website and the elevator gave me the impression that breakfast was free – made to order they said. I was thinking this would be similar to the offerings at Hampton Inn. I was disappointed in the morning to walk downstairs to see that the breakfast was in fact a regular menu/buffet type deal, not a Hampton Inn type deal.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business