“The Good and Bad”

Hampton Inn Beaufort
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Beaufort
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I am not one to complain, but I feel I must let others know about this Hampton. My family and I stayed at this location for eight days and I must say, we were a bit disappointed.

The Good: The housekeeping, maintenance, and breakfast staff were outstanding. All were very polite and friendly. The grounds seemed to be well kept. A great view of the marsh and a little bit of town. The breakfast was cooked just right, not burnt but not cold unlike other locations. It is located in a very nice location, hidden from the road but still convenient to town. Our housekeeping service, done by Kathy and Simone, was done promptly every day and the room always looked great.

The Bad: My parents were on the road ahead of me and checked in for us. When they said they would like to pay with cash but didn't know whether we were staying seven days or eight, the gentleman that checked them in told them that they could pay at check out and he would just use the card on file to hold the reservation. Never did he ask for the physical credit card or tell them that it would be authorized for the whole stay plus incidentals. The card happened to be mine and was authorized even though I didn't have the funds in my account. I am still waiting for the hundreds of dollars to be released, until then, I am a fish out of water. When I contacted the hotel about this, they made excuse after excuse about it. The front desk staff is rude, rude, rude. Room had a view of the awning, which had large lights that made the room as bright as day, even when the "black out" curtains were closed. The noise level was a huge negative (room was located over the lobby, next to the elevator, and right across from the ice machine room, and the front desk refused to relocate us after us trying for FIVE days, saying "we can't do anything for you". Finally a housekeeper brought the attention to the front desk manager, who said he would let us know via email when we could move... HE NEVER CONTACTED US!). We also received someone else's wake up call at 5:20 am. When I let the front desk know, the lady apologized nonchalantly, like it didn't really matter that someone else might have been late for something important or that we were disturbed by the phone twice because they don't know how to double check their wake up calls. Some people are made for customer service, and some aren't. This staff definitely was not.

Needless to say, my family will never stay at this location again. Never was the 100% offered to us even though Hampton Guarantees if you aren't happy, you don't pay.

2  Thank BahamaMama91
Adam T, General Manager at Hampton Inn Beaufort, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Our goal is to offer each guest warm surroundings and friendly service. We're delighted to hear that Kathy and Simone could demonstrate our commitment to your comfort and have personally thanked them. However, I'm terribly sorry to hear about the other service missteps that prevented you from fully enjoying your stay. Surveys are great in helping us gauge how to better take care of our future guests, thank you for taking the time to complete a review on our property.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

My family and I stayed in this hotel for a Marine Corp. graduation. The hotel was decorated well, clean, and the staff was very kind. It was on a main road with many stores and restaurants nearby. I enjoyed the view as well. Very close to Parris Island. The breakfast that was available was above average and we ate there each morning. If we had a reason to travel back to the area, we would stay here again. Hearing that the hotel is being renovated is definitely a bonus!

2  Thank GoBananas28

Thank you for your wonderful comments about our hotel! I am glad to hear you and your family enjoyed your time with us. We will be starting renovations next month, if you ever come back to the Lowcountry please come and see how our renovations have gone.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

First, please don't take the title of the review wrong as the hotel is not 'that' bad. First of all, the hotel seems a bit difficult to locate. Even after the GPS says we have reached our destination it was hard to spot the hotel as it sits well off the road and not actually on 'boundary' street. Upon arrival I proceeded to the check-in desk and found the hotel fairly nice. The downstairs area looks clean and well furnished. We checked in and proceeded to our room. The hallways are a bit 'dingy' as is the carpeting. The room itself if somewhat dated with dirty looking carpet (worn), cracks in the ceiling and various stains (leaks) in the ceiling. The beds were clean as was the bathroom. The remote for the TV did not work and I was promptly brought another one. Overall, the room was acceptable. The outside of the hotel is very nice...as it sits right beside the river (marsh) which provides wonderful views. Plenty of benches to sit and watch the sunset. The outside of the hotel was the best part of this facility. Breakfast was adequate and a typical Hampton.

I believe I would skip this Hampton next time and opt for the Hilton Garden Inn about a mile or so down the road. Perhaps if renovations were ever done this would be a good place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for the riverside room to get a view!
1  Thank J P
Adam T, General Manager at Hampton Inn Beaufort, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Thank you for the great comments about my staff. I am the new General Manager and hearing great things about this staff gives me great excitement with what this property can accomplish once we get done with our renovations. You are right this hotel does need renovated, we will be starting at the end of August and finish sometime in November or December. If you are in the area sometime after that, please come see us!

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Carpets were so filthy, wet, and sticky, you had to keep your shoes on until you jumped into bed. Had a leaking ceiling where plaster and water were constantly dripping onto the floor. Front desk staff not friendly, but sounded like everything was a bother. Will not stay here again. Military families visiting Parris Island should avoid this hotel. Others are less expensive and MUCH NICER>

1  Thank Teresa B
Adam T, Manager at Hampton Inn Beaufort, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We're addressing the cleanliness concerns since a similar review shared the same sentiment. I apologize for the inconvenience and welcome any suggestions you have about new items we should offer in our breakfast buffet. I am currently in the process of looking into new food vendors to carry better quality products. We look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

In Beaufort for son's graduation from boot camp - carpet was so dirty our feet were black in the morning from walking around - the room smelled horribly - breakfast was poor and was not up to the standards of Hampton Inns

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for your feedback in regards to the leaky ceiling and cleanliness issues. I've worked with our maintenance and housekeeping teams to address these issues, however I apologize that it wasn't resolved sooner. Our hotel is doing a complete renovation starting August 1st! I know that does nothing for your stay, but if you are in the area sometime next year please stop by to see the great things we have done. Thank you again for your review and please feel free to contact me so I can speak with you directly about your concerns. Your satisfaction is very important to us.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

This is an older Hampton Inn so the amenities are not as nice as found in newer locations. It has a smaller breakfast area (so it was cramped) and I could easily hear the people in the adjacent guest room as they were talking (I turned on a "white noise" web site on my laptop to drown it out). Speaking of laptop, the wireless Internet was extremely slow (less than 1 meg for downloads) which meant graphic-heavy sites would not load.

However, I was very impressed with the friendly and helpful staff, particularly a gentleman named "Ervin." He worked at the front desk and went out of his way to make my family and I enjoy our stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Adam T, General Manager at Hampton Inn Beaufort, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Our hotel is under new ownership/management as of the end of May. We will be doing a full renovation to the hotel, please come back and see us in six months to see the fantastic changes.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Our family celebrated its 37th Jones Family Reunion in Beaufort, SC during Gullah Festival. We booked rooms at the Hampton and one other hotel in the area. Our rooms we clean and modern. The breakfast was excellent. Family members from the other hotel were coming to our breakfast, so I was told. We enjoyed the pool, the scenic view, and the relaxed atmosphere.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

I am glad to hear your family chose our hotel for you reunion. If you choose to do another reunion in the future in our area, let us know and we can try and get the entire family here with a great group rate!