“Maria's Comes up Big!”

Ranked #26 of 147 Restaurants in Westerly
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Maria's Seaside Cafe has finally re-opened! Our newly designed, casually elegant cafe is more intimate than pre Hurricane Sandy with dining and horse shoe bar indoors plus al-fresco dining on our covered terrace or brick patio. We are very fortunate to have Chef Rafael Rosas returns to Maria's to ensure you'll experience the outstanding food with service and friendliness you remember. We look forward to serving you, John for The Bellone Family
Reviewed July 2, 2012

This past week, a couple colleagues and I wanted to hold an elegant cocktail and hors d'oeuvres party for some very important business associates. We wanted a tasteful, upscale presentation, but a warm and welcoming environment where one could smell the salt in the air. We unanimously agreed on Maria's Seaside Cafe in Misquamicut, and I was given the job of setting it up. All I really did was call John . . .

What I hoped for was something special; what the staff and kitchen of Maria's provided made my colleagues and me the toasts of the town! I was welcoming my guests and enjoying one of Maria's special Sangrias when the food starting coming out . . . and it just kept coming! The best calamari I have ever had, tuna tartar, chicken tostadas, lobster pizza, smoked salmon on sliced cucumber . . . and I am sure I am forgetting half of it. But I will never forget the delicately fried rice balls. Golden and crisp arancini, I was told they were called, and the recipe traveled all the way from Sicily to the shores of Westerly.

The bartenders - Peter and Jordan - worked tirelessly, and I saw our guests enjoying martinis, mojitos, local brews, and of course the magical Sangria. Our wait staff - led by Tara and Ursula - never stopped moving; when one platter was finished, another one filled its spot. We all had a terrific time!

I have been to Maria's to have a relaxing drink and watch baseball after work; I have had quiet dinners with my girlfriend, special meals with friends, and even quick lunches during the week, and I can honestly say I have never been disappointed. But I have never been so touched by the personal service of everyone there. It's like they knew how important that night was for us, and they made sure it went smoothly.

Thank you, management and staff of Maria's. We will never forget what you did for us that evening.

1  Thank westerlylawyer
Management response:Responded July 4, 2012

It is OUR pleasure to serve you! Thank you for your continued patronage.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

We are very disappointed. Two years ago we ordered the seafood marinara dish for two,. My husband had food posioning before we made it to the parking lot. Sick as hell. Yesday, Sunday we decided to give it a second chance. We all ordered a Italian dish and it was awful. Lemon chicken had no taste. Ton of butter on the plates/and maybe a half squeezed. The pasta was runny with water. My roustic chicken had a pinch of salt, and the potatoes were cooked in the same pan. It was awful. I left my entire plate. Had PJ when we got home. The lobster bisque was out of a can. No lobster aqnd salty. Why complaint to management. They'll only continue to serve this junk again. We will never return. Waste of time and money.

4  Thank Ladydrednuh
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

Thank you for your review. I am sorry you had a bad experience. If you or any of our guests are not happy with their experience or entree we will certainly try to make a correction immediately, given the opportunity.

Our food is prepared with the best and freshest ingredients that we are able to purchase. I can assure you that everything is made from scratch and nothing is poured out of a can including our lobster bisque, which normally is a loved by everyone.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

Over priced....poor seafood selection, not fine dining. I simply expect what I pay for and this doesnt even come close. I fully expect to pay more at the beach for food but this was ridiculous. I bruschetta was soggy and scallops werent seared the wine was way over priced and the home made raviolis were definately filled with a bunch of frozen ingredients. Do yourself a favor and spend your money else where.

4  Thank Heather A
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

Thank you for your review. We will certainly look to improve on the areas you pointed out.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

Chicken Parm was delicious...sit outside and enjoy!

Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

Glad you enjoyed your experience at Maria's! Thank you very much for taking the time to write.

Reviewed June 6, 2012

A group of seven of us just had an awesome seafood culinary experience at Maria's! We've been at a conference in a nearby Connecticut casino & conference center (30 min from Westerly). We wanted to "escape the compound" and have some local fresh seafood. Maria's came up on a search for Misquamicut Beach so we decided to try it. I had some of the best scallops of my life. My husband, a very accomplished professional chef, was extremely impressed with the salmon special (and that doesn't happen often!). Our entire party enjoyed all the dishes - particularly the lobster bisque! I loved the mini cannolis for dessert and the banana napolean was a big hit with four in our party. I will go back there in a second if I ever come back to this area!

1  Thank Susan H
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

Thank you so much for your great comments. We really appreciate it and hope to see you all the next time you're in the area for a conference or for vacation perhaps.