“Hard to find easy to remember”
Review of Mermaid Cafe - CLOSED

Mermaid Cafe
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Opened 1/19/10 phone number 401-637-4225 No website as of today.
Reviewed September 23, 2011

This Restaurant is a little gem situated on the beautiful Pawcatuck River about approx 1 1/2 miles from the Westerly City center heading north. The quality of the food is first class and is well priced, the service is very good and friendly with a sincere effort being made to please you, the customer...... I will definitely visit this restaurant again...
Their hours are
Tue,Wed,Thu and Sun 7AM - 3PM
Friday, Saturday 7AM - 7PM
Closed Monday

They also have a kids menu

Reviewed July 10, 2011

This is the second summer season for Mermaid Cafe, and they seem to be settling into a comfortable stride. The menu is unique enough to wow you, and varied enough to keep you coming back. I know others have raved about Mermaid lunches and breakfasts, so I will talk about our recent dinner experience. Dinners at Mermaid Cafe are served only on Fridays and Saturdays until 7 pm, so we made a reservation and left the beach early enough to land a table on the upper deck overlooking the Pawcatuck River and the setting sun.

Our starters included the garden salad and the fried oyster plate. What a treat! The oysters were light and fresh with a slightly crunchy cornmeal breading, and we mixed them and the greens underneath with our salad and its flavorful dressing.

For entrees we had the fish tacos and the catch of the day, which was a generous portion of grilled herbed swordfish with garlic mashed potatoes and fresh green beans. The swordfish was extremely fresh and tender - so unlike the dry and chewy swordfish we've had elsewhere. The fish tacos were comprised of fresh cod, cooked so it was nice and firm (but not too dry) wrapped in flour tortillas with additions of ripe avocado slices, homemade tomato salsa, and the best coleslaw in the area. Yum!

The homemade key lime pie for dessert was a perfect balance between sweet and tart with a graham cracker crust and a topping of whipped cream with fresh strawberries on the side. We hear that Mermaid is moving toward BYOB status, which will make the dining experience even better. Thumbs up!

2  Thank wardharten
Reviewed October 31, 2010

I've eaten at the Mermaid at least 15 time since it opened and have taken several quests for either breakfast, lunch or dinner. Every meal was very good with attentive service.

The restaurant is bright and clean (totally renovated) with a nice view of the river.

I would recommend the Mermaid Cafe to everyone - just have to remember there is no liquor licence.

Reviewed September 20, 2010

My husband & I were in Westerly to enjoy the last great beach day in our neighboring state, Rhode Island. We got to the beach early in the morning, the surf quite strong because of hurricane Igor out in the Atlantic. Around 10:30 I said, "I'm hungry!" and we set our GPS to the Mermaid Cafe. The menu has all your traditional breakfast foods as well as some unusual fare ~ the Dyanna was phenomonal! Eggs poached perfectly with real Hollandaise on Jonny Cakes (made from corn) and 4 grilled shrimp alongside. I would have liked my shrimp a bit more grilled, but they were good. My only disappointment was ordering coffee and not getting served it till after our food arrived. Our waitress did not charge us for the coffee because of her mess-up, so I was happy with that. There is rooftop seating as well, if you like to eat outdoors overlooking the boats in the marina.

Reviewed August 16, 2010

We went there for breakfast...it was busy and I was surprised. The waitress was clueless- We ordered and then I heard another table being read the specials...would have loved one of those instead. My husband and I both have had upset stomachs since. Waitress asked me if I wanted toast with my eggs benedict??? Also, the meal came out without homefries...when I asked about them she said she didn't know if they came with it...ummm read the menu! Soggy potatoes, definitely not worth the price.

1  Thank Lovestotravelalot79