TripAdvisor
Westerly
Post
Inbox
Search
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed September 24, 2019

In looking for a place for my husband and I to spend one overnight near Charlestown, RI, I came across Shelter Harbor Inn, and, boy-oh-boy was I confused by the huge swing in the reviews, so let me try and clear things up. Here is the real lowdown: Obviously, this hotel must have been a hot mess before, but whether the owners are new or are just redoing the place from top to bottom, it is all fabulousness now! The vibe is super cool and super eclectic. (In fact, how the designers made all those colors and styles work together is beside me, but it is total eye candy for any fan of interior design.) The rooms are modest in size, but also really fun design-wise with comfortable bedding and appointments. And the service is top-notch. Clearly, we were early adopters as the construction was still ongoing, although in final stages, but Kathryn at the front desk and manager Michael really went out of their way to make sure everything was just right for us, including arranging an early breakfast since we had to leave before they normally serve. The restaurant and bar were not open yet -- I believe that happens on Oct. 1 -- but I feel confident that both of those will be just as delightful as the hotel. Give the new rendition of this hotel a chance. I think you will be very glad you did!

Date of stay: September 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank Cie P
Reviewed August 16, 2019

Though this place will probably be very nice one day, we booked in the winter and were never afforded the courtesy of being told the renovations weren't going to be fully completed when we came in July. I called a few weeks in advance having heard rumors and was told we would be fine, but no restaurant--and breakfast would be continental delivered to our room. We were put in a carriage house rather than the inn, a pleasantly decorated room, but musty and no wastebaskets, water glasses, arm chair, TV, Internet, coffee maker, fridge, phone, desk, table, etc. No common rooms available. In the rain we sat on the bed. Breakfast was two take-out coffees, two fruit cups and a cold egg sandwich delivered in a bag. The woman in charge told us: you're blaming the messenger. It's the contractor's fault. Hopefully they will figure it out because it's a lovely setting and property.

Room tip: check current ratings to see if they are finally up to speed
Date of stay: July 2019
Reviewed August 15, 2019

My sister and I stayed for a weekend in July. It is under new ownership as of 2019, and although they are in the midst of a major overhaul, they had 4 rooms booked. Everyone we met was very kind and helpful, that being said, they really should not have been open yet, and we would have understood if they had called us a few weeks earlier and explained they weren't ready, OR if they had offered a price break since things were in flux. After paying about $550 for 2 nights, we did not expect to be without a wastebasket in the bathroom, or a telephone in the room. There was no tv (not a big deal) but they had a vintage-style speaker that we were told was Bluetooth compatible, but we could not get it to work and neither could the young woman who checked us in. There was no mini fridge in the room, hopefully they will provide it in future. The door to our room was very sticky, so much so that when they brought us breakfast in the morning, we couldn't get it open. Being a fire hazard, this definitely needs to be addressed. Probably the biggest issue was the bed, NOT comfortable and will be a huge issue with people paying even more than we did for accommodation. I really wish the new owners the best of luck, it is a lovely spot/area and we appreciated the shuttle to the beach and back. Once they address the issues above, we might consider coming back.

Date of stay: July 2019