Shelter Harbor Inn
$207
$196
Winnapaug Inn(Westerly)
$119
Misquamicut Beach Front Inn(Misquamicut)(Great Value!)
$199
$145
Official Site
$69
$59
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsrhode islandnew englandhot tubpaddle ballquaint hotelmy wife and i were marriedexcellent staymain buildingsunday breakfastwatch hillrtecenturybeddingoceanseasonperfectionbrunch
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I love places that straddle the B&B/hotel line and Shelter Harbor fits that description. Our room in the barn was large and clean though nothing fancy. The shower was one of those one-piece ones that are more common in a motel than a hotel. I could hear the people walking above but not a sound from the rooms on either side (and I did see people staying in them.)

Dinner on a Saturday night was good though service was slow. I didn't realize that the clam chowder I ordered was RI-style. The waitress graciously changed my soup to lobster bisque.

Standards have definitely changed over the past few years and many places have lost their old-fashion charm as a result of "luxury" renovations. I hope the Shelter Harbor Inn stays as it is.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Callebaut
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We came here shoulder season for a weekend family get away. I was nervous about Kids at a B and B and but got a really fun room on the third floor. It was huge. With only a queen bed it had a huge sitting/living area and we got two blow up twin beds for the kids. We had tons of room and the fire escape out our window led to the roof top deck with hot tub. The kids LOVED it. We really enjoyed having a restaurant on site and loved the bar. Breakfast was great and we were able to eat on the patio which was lovely. Giant hydrangeas everywhere!

But with that said you have to be the right type of person.

This is a historic old house. The steps up to the attic were steep and not for the faint of heart. This place has creaky floors and a charming New England "patina". We absolutely loved the character and the old school vibe of this place. I can understand why some reviewers just don't "get it". If you are looking for a five star uppity amenities and service, you should go to the Hamptons instead. If you are seeking a friendly family run Inn with character. This is it! We found the staff so friendly and inviting and would love to come back. We just wish it was a tad less expensive.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank mestaunton
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Every time we went back to the inn during our stay, it was like stepping back in time. Very quaint, quiet (except for the vacuum cleaner that went on downstairs at 7:45 every morning), something out of bygone years when an inn was the only place to stay. We stayed in the main house, and our room was clean and quaintly appointed. The fireplace was nice, and our own private deck with lounge chairs and umbrella table was great. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and while the waitstaff at breakfast was very young, they did a great job. The breakfasts every morning were wonderful. We usually stay at more upscale places, but our stay was for a family reunion, so we were just sleeping there - there's not much to do at the inn. The beach passes we used one day took us to a beautiful town beach. Our one complaint would be that the bed was old and hard and the pillows flat - but the charm of the place plus the great breakfasts and beautiful outdoor patio dining somehow made us forgive this one disappointment!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the 3 rooms on the second floor of the main house that has a private patio with lounge chairs, and an umbrella table and chairs that you get to via nice big French doors.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank greenhaba_11
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Poorly maintained with no emphasis on service or amenities. Good breakfast. Could not wait to leave, the rooms are dated and uncomfortable. The heater in the room was incredibly loud and not efficient. The Inn has charm, but needs to be maintained and refurbished. We stayed in the carriage house, which was less than comfortable. The rooms in the main Inn looked cozy and had some appeal. The food is decent. The wine list shows some sophistication. There are some nice walks to be taken in the area, and you are not too far from Watch Hill and the Westerly beaches. Golf courses are nearby also. We have dined there often during the last 25 years, and the food is good. This was our first overnight,I would not stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hahnri
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Shelter Harbor Inn this past weekend, 5/18/13. This is the worst Inn/Motel that I have ever stayed in. I would have given this place no stars, but it makes you give it a rating.
When booking our room the person told me that we would be staying in the barn. We checked in and brought our things to our room to find that there was a wedding party staying in the barn as well. They had coolers of booze lined up the hall. The Inn never told us this when booking our room. Nothing was said about a wedding party being in the same building, and I made sure to mention that I have 2 small children. As you can imagine they wedding party was loud and kept my family and I up ALL night. We called the desk several times to complain and nothing was done to quiet the noise. I DO NOT recommend this Inn to ANYONE with small children.
The rooms are tiny, the walls are paper thin and you can hear EVERYTHING!! And the staff leaves much to be desired. Every member of the staff that we dealt with was rude. And when I checked out the person at the desk asked me how my night was. I told her exactly what happened and her response was "oh we should have told you that when you booked your room." Yeah thanks for that was mine.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family