“We Loved it...but we "get" it.”
Review of Shelter Harbor Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Westerly
Shelter Harbor Inn
Ranked #9 of 10 Westerly B&B and Inns
Maplewood, NJ
“We Loved it...but we "get" it.”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We came here shoulder season for a weekend family get away. I was nervous about Kids at a B and B and but got a really fun room on the third floor. It was huge. With only a queen bed it had a huge sitting/living area and we got two blow up twin beds for the kids. We had tons of room and the fire escape out our window led to the roof top deck with hot tub. The kids LOVED it. We really enjoyed having a restaurant on site and loved the bar. Breakfast was great and we were able to eat on the patio which was lovely. Giant hydrangeas everywhere!

But with that said you have to be the right type of person.

This is a historic old house. The steps up to the attic were steep and not for the faint of heart. This place has creaky floors and a charming New England "patina". We absolutely loved the character and the old school vibe of this place. I can understand why some reviewers just don't "get it". If you are looking for a five star uppity amenities and service, you should go to the Hamptons instead. If you are seeking a friendly family run Inn with character. This is it! We found the staff so friendly and inviting and would love to come back. We just wish it was a tad less expensive.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank mestaunton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Marshfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Every time we went back to the inn during our stay, it was like stepping back in time. Very quaint, quiet (except for the vacuum cleaner that went on downstairs at 7:45 every morning), something out of bygone years when an inn was the only place to stay. We stayed in the main house, and our room was clean and quaintly appointed. The fireplace was nice, and our own private deck with lounge chairs and umbrella table was great. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and while the waitstaff at breakfast was very young, they did a great job. The breakfasts every morning were wonderful. We usually stay at more upscale places, but our stay was for a family reunion, so we were just sleeping there - there's not much to do at the inn. The beach passes we used one day took us to a beautiful town beach. Our one complaint would be that the bed was old and hard and the pillows flat - but the charm of the place plus the great breakfasts and beautiful outdoor patio dining somehow made us forgive this one disappointment!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the 3 rooms on the second floor of the main house that has a private patio with loung...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank greenhaba_11
North Scituate, Rhode Island
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Poorly maintained with no emphasis on service or amenities. Good breakfast. Could not wait to leave, the rooms are dated and uncomfortable. The heater in the room was incredibly loud and not efficient. The Inn has charm, but needs to be maintained and refurbished. We stayed in the carriage house, which was less than comfortable. The rooms in the main Inn looked cozy and had some appeal. The food is decent. The wine list shows some sophistication. There are some nice walks to be taken in the area, and you are not too far from Watch Hill and the Westerly beaches. Golf courses are nearby also. We have dined there often during the last 25 years, and the food is good. This was our first overnight,I would not stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hahnri

Travelers are raving about these Westerly hotels

Wolfeboro, New Hampshire
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Shelter Harbor Inn this past weekend, 5/18/13. This is the worst Inn/Motel that I have ever stayed in. I would have given this place no stars, but it makes you give it a rating.
When booking our room the person told me that we would be staying in the barn. We checked in and brought our things to our room to find that there was a wedding party staying in the barn as well. They had coolers of booze lined up the hall. The Inn never told us this when booking our room. Nothing was said about a wedding party being in the same building, and I made sure to mention that I have 2 small children. As you can imagine they wedding party was loud and kept my family and I up ALL night. We called the desk several times to complain and nothing was done to quiet the noise. I DO NOT recommend this Inn to ANYONE with small children.
The rooms are tiny, the walls are paper thin and you can hear EVERYTHING!! And the staff leaves much to be desired. Every member of the staff that we dealt with was rude. And when I checked out the person at the desk asked me how my night was. I told her exactly what happened and her response was "oh we should have told you that when you booked your room." Yeah thanks for that was mine.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Cheryl W
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My sisters family and I came to town for a funeral. Our trip was worsened by our stay at Shelter Harbor. They failed to tell us when we made the reservation, that the rooms we had were in the Barn which contained guests from a wedding party. The thin walls and loud obnoxious drunk people up until 6 am kept us all awake all night. Not to mention my 2 and 3 year old nieces were screaming from constant awakenings. At breakfast the next morning, our waiter took 20 minutes to bring our check to attend to the large wedding party that had kept us up the night before. I would NEVER stay here again, and I suggest that people with children keep looking for a better place with a better atmosphere! If I didn't have to rate this place to review it, I would give all ZEROS!!!!!!

Worst night to coincide with an already bad time of losing my grandfather.

Absolutely awful!!!

• Stayed May 2013
4 Thank MJ2678
Warren, Rhode Island
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Upon a recommendation by a co-worker, we went in for lunch as part of our 25th wedding anniversary. The décor and charm of the Shelter Harbor Inn is warm and inviting. We shared a bottle of wine, relaxed and conversed for 2 hrs over a very nice lunch starting with a Calamari appetizer, followed by a smoked Haddock and pan seared sea scallop entrees ending with a Limoncello Tartufo. The entire meal was absolutely delicious and our waitress Chelsea was the best. Afterwards we took a short walk along the beach as part of a perfect day. We’ll definitely be back and looking at the wine & dinner packages for an extended stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ken S
New York
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The Inn has two buildings, and both are nicely furnished. The restaurant is good. They have a shuttle bus to a beautiful beach and the inn keeper is terrific. We've recommended the inn to many friends and family who have enjoyed it. I held my own wedding lunch there many years ago and my brother got married there a few years ago and it was lovely.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ZoyaKNewYork
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westerly
Winnapaug Inn
#5 of 6 in Misquamicut
Ocean Rose Inn
Ocean Rose Inn
#7 of 8 in Narragansett

Been to Shelter Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!