“Wonderful, wonderful”
Review of Shelter Harbor Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Westerly
Shelter Harbor Inn
Ranked #8 of 10 Westerly B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 28, 2008

We stayed at Shelter Harbor for three nights.
We took advantage of their winter special, pay for two, get the third free. A full breakfast was complimentary every morning! Great! We were fortunate enough to obtain a room with a fireplace. Terrific! The wood box was refilled daily, including a cleaning of the fireplace with a fire starter provided.
The staff was wonderful. Our room attendant was incredibly helpful, right down to providing me with a comforter to soften the bed which was too firm for my old bones!
The grounds were very nice. I could only visualize how nice they would be in summer. Too bad it was mid-winter, but the paddle ball court was busy every night!

I give Shelter Harbor Inn the highest score possible!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed September 20, 2007

Stayed here in the main inn for one night in mid-September 2007. Very enjoyable experience. Facility was well-maintained, and staff was pleasant . Dining was first rate, including complimentary breakfast.

Would have no reservations about staying here again.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2007

stayed for a weekend in September 2006 from a friend's recommendation. Was amazed at the poor service, loud rooms, and bad dining experience. Lots of flies in the resturaunt.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank grumpyhartford
Reviewed June 30, 2006

I stayed at the Shelter Harbour Inn in Westerly while my daughter attended her freshman orientation at the Univ of Rhode Island. While it was a little more than I wanted to pay ( 146 a night) it was well worth it and the room came with a fabulous breakfast....I had a problem with the room AC and we were without it for the whole time that we were there, upon checkout I requested a adustment and they did it without hesitaion. The Inn is 15 minutes from Watch Hill and you get access to a private beach of which the inn will give you a pass. I was very pleased and would stay here again!

2  Thank mcdonaldkm
Reviewed July 12, 2005

We stayed here for the second consecutive year, and were once again thrilled.

The Inn provides you with access to an absolutely beautiful beach, and is helpful in that they'll provide beach towels for guests. The breakfast, which is included, is excellent. And the staff is warm and accomodating.

The rooms do have a bit of a rustic feel, but are clean, air conditioned, and there is cable tv.

Close to Watch Hill, Misquamicut, and not too far from the Block Island Ferry and Newport.

All things considered, this place is a gem and we'll be back again next July.

• Stayed: July 2005
5  Thank Michael S
A TripAdvisor Member
New Haven, CT
Reviewed January 18, 2005

A friend and I were guests at the Inn for Saturday evening, December 9, 2000. From what we had heard from mutual friends, the Shelter Harbor Inn was a lovely establishment. Unfortunately, our stay was largely unpleasant. What initially surprised me was the generally unaccommodating ambience of the staff. This was the first bed & breakfast I have been to where the inn keeps were unhelpful and borderline rude. The staff made no attempt to show me around the inn, elaborate on its facilities, or tell what there was to do around town. Knowing little about New England sports (I grew up in Southern California), I queried as to whether it was possible to play croquet during the winter and was ridiculed. Simple salutations seemed foreign as we were not greeted when we entered the inn. The only greeting we heard all weekend was a “hello, checkout is at 11.” Attempts to start pleasant conversations with the staff were largely met with indifference. The quality of the room was also poor. We stayed in room three, the first room at the top of the stairs. The room was very noisy (probably from its location) and there were doors slamming all night long. A few times, I awoke to hear loud voices from the office next door. To add to the restless sleep, the heater made loud knocking noises. There was a very bad draft in the bathroom, so every time we entered the bathroom, we felt like you were going outside. The television also had only three functional channels (false advertising if you ask me since the lady I spoke to on the phone when I made my reservation said that there was cable television). The only redeeming quality of the inn was the outstanding food (excellent chef). Unfortunately, the service of service from waitresses were sub par. I also found it appalling that I constantly had to shoo flies away from my food. What B&B suffers from flies in an indoor dining room during the winter?

• Stayed: December 2000
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 4, 2004

Very much a “restaurant with rooms” – check in was jostling with numerous dinner guests turning up at the same time. Beware rooms 6/7/8 which are above the kitchen and noisy until after 11pm. We were moved to 24 which is in a separe building only yards away. Much better. The hot tub on the roof is divine but otherwise the place is resting on its laurels a bit.

10  Thank Woganfan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westerly
Pleasant View Inn
#4 of 8 in Narragansett
Breezeway Resort
Breezeway Resort
#1 of 6 in Misquamicut

Been to Shelter Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!