“Overpriced”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed August 6, 2007

I stopped at the Olympia tearoom the first week in August with my brother and our families. We both had visited the restaurant in our pre-children days and were eager to return.

We had called earlier in the day to see if we could make reservations and were told that we couldn't. Unfortunately for us when we arrived the larger tables were "reserved" causing us to have to sit outside. Normally this would have been okay but on this day it was still very hot outside and sunny. When I asked the waitress about why we were told no reservations were taken she said that tables were only held for locals. I guess I can understand that however it makes a returning visitor seem unwanted all the same.

The waitress started off being very unhelpful - I had asked to split a frozen drink between my two kids (ages 7 and 9) because I knew neither would finish one themselves. She said she could only bring two straws. I said I would prefer an extra cup and she agreed but wasn't happy about it.

The menu as always is very interesting and features locally grown produce. We were all however disappointed in our entrees as they were only mediocre in taste. I also felt that the prices were somewhat ridiculous e.g a side pasta with butter ordered for the kids was $8.

In summary, the tearoom has great ambience inside and the menu is interesting. Right now on Watch Hill they are one of the only sit down restaurants. I think the place is slipping in quality, however and the staff are not very welcoming to visting tourists. Perhaps its because we had small children with us.

5  Thank Travellingmom18

Reviewed July 1, 2007

We visited Watch Hill in Rhode Island for the last weekend in June, as a weekend trip. We had some of our friends come up and meet us on Staurday. We needed a place to eat lunch, and by recommendation of an employee at the Wath Hill in (where we stayed), we tried the Olympia Tea room, as we wanted a nice sit down restaurant, and the Watch Hill inn restaurant doesnt open until 330 on top of the fact that we had dinner reservations there for that night.

The service was outstanding. The waitress was wonderful. She was friendly, attentive, and fast, constantly answering our questions to the best of her ability, and constantly checking up on us to make sure that everything was good.

I had the Roast Beef Partine, which is a European sandwhich. It was delicious. Everything at the Olympia Tea room is organic, and they grow their herbs right outside the restaurant, which is nice to know that the food is fresh. The atmosphere was nice as well. We did not get desert or anything. we just wanted a nice quick lunch before heading off to the beach. I am glad that we came here, and would return to the Olympia tea room when I go back.

Reviewed January 22, 2007

This place is a joke. Unless you're one of the identifiable Lily Pulitzer crowd, be prepared to be treated like riff-raff. And don't bother complaining to the owner(s) about the service or the attitude of the staff; the owners are as obnoxious as their employees -- and seem to make a point of being so. It's annoying enough that their prices are high and their food, at best, mediocre. They clearly take very in-your-face advantage of the fact that they are the only game in town. Vacationers are met with an attitude that blares: "If you don't like it go somewhere else. Oh, that's right, there IS nowhere else. Ha Ha Ha". The OTR is an ugly smudge on an otherwise lovely vacation spot. My advice is to avoid giving them your business. My family and I have been vacationing in beautiful Watch Hill for thirty years and know that there are, in fact, some dining alternatives. The town of Westerly is so very close and there are restaurants there that know how to treat customers. Drive the 5 to 8 minutes into Westerly. There's also a grocery store where you can pick up items to make sandwiches for the beach, as well as fruit, snacks and drinks. If you're lazy, there's a deli where you can buy heros (hoagies, wedges -- depending where you were raised). Believe me, you don't have to subject yourselves to the OTR.

6  Thank DiFi
Reviewed October 31, 2006

This restaurant is overpriced for the average food and poor service it offers. I had a problem with the cocktail I was served and the bartender refused to make me another!? Then our food took forever to come to us. While we waited and waited for our food my husband and I discussed the unusual art on the walls. A dour faced woman dressed like a waitperson came by and snottily told us we were misinterpreting the art. Only later did we find out that it was the owner's wife (and also the artist herself) that had stopped by to chastise us, even though we were saying nothing negative about the paintings - just that they were unusual themes for a restaurant. If she doesn't invite comment on her art - perhaps she should hang them elsewhere or make herself known as the artist to her uninitiated customers?
Unfortunately, right now the Olympia is the only restaurant in town so we felt trapped having to eat there. The owners must be flush with the power of having a captive dining clientele.
Our dinner there was one of the worst dining experiences we have ever had.

3  Thank CTtravellers
Reviewed October 2, 2006

Watch HIll is a charming seaside village with beautiful shops and beaches. The main disappointment is that there is not a good restaurant to relax in and enjoy the view. The Olymplia Tea Room rushed us in and out, did not really want our children in their restaurant (no high chairs or childrens menu, and frowned at our stroller) and the food and service was very average for the price that we paid. My husband and I both work in hospitality and travel often. We always enjoy a good meal with cocktails and don't mind paying the price for good eats as they say. But this was not one of them.

1  Thank mhbtraveler