“Worst Restaurant Experience. Ever.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Seasons at the Ocean House

Seasons at the Ocean House
Reserve with OpenTable
Seasons at the Ocean House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Watch Hill
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Scenic view
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: Part of the Ocean House Hotel
Glastonbury, Connecticut
“Worst Restaurant Experience. Ever.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2010

We were very excited to visit the just-reopened Ocean House; we could not have been more disappointed. The Victorian hotel, itself, is magnificent, eclipsed only by the magnificent view of the ocean. Sadly, that is the only praise that I can render. In addition to the poorest, least attentive service that I have ever witnessed (20 minutes to get a drink; 40 minutes to get the check...really), I have never in my life been treated with so little regard; so much disdain by waitstaff. And, for the money, you can get far better cuisine,

Our waitress was utterly incapable of getting a drink order right, and we aren't talking about mixed drinks....just scotch. I ordered a Balvenie Doublewood, which I was tersely told that they did not have on the menu. By the time that our waitress later returned (much later) with my substitute Glenlivet, however, I had found Balvenie Doublewood on the single malt menu. Unapologetically, the waitress stormed off to get what I had ordered, Oddly, upon ordering a second round of the same, she then brought me an entirely different scotch. Explaining this to the waitress, I offered to drink whatever it was that they had brought me, despite it clearly not being what I had ordered (she never offered to correct the mistake, anyway). Then came the bill, when I was charged $56 for two glasses of yet another scotch, the far more expensive Balvenie 21 year old Portwood.

Through the entire ordeal, the waitress never managed to apologize. She did, however, make a point of rolling her eyes on multiple occasions and maintained a tone and demeanor that would have been unforgivable at a clam shack, let alone a restaurant purporting to be of a far higher stature. Save your money and mind your blood pressure folks. Like many a beautiful facade, the majestic exterior of Ocean House can't begin to make up for what it lacks inside: a dining experience worthy of your time.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank missynpete
communicationsOH, Manager at Seasons at the Ocean House, responded to this review, June 23, 2010
Dear Guest,
We apologize that your experience was unsatisfactory and appreciate your feedback as we consider all comments to be constructive. There is no excuse for the unprofessional service you received but please accept our sincere apologies. This behavior, and failure of delivering proper service, is not representative of what we are determined to offer out guests. Please know we are constantly working on improving our service to better serve our guest.
Kind regards,

Narragansett, Rhode Island
“Very disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2010

It was our anniversary and we decided to celebrate at the new restaurant. We called for reservations and were told they were fully booked but we could eat on the veranda and enjoy the pub menu. We arrived and found the dining not even half full and inquired if they could accomodate us. They were able to and sat us by the window with an outstanding view. We were pleased. The waitress handed us the menu which was very limited. She recommended that we order 2-3 entrees and a soup or sald. She informed us it was a tasting menu. We decided to order a salad and an entree. Our salad was nothing out of the ordinary and pricey at $10. The entress are between $20-30. After three bites our entree was gone. The fluke was very salty and not something that I wished I had more of. My husband felt the same way.. They must change their menu or they will not make it in this economy. I am a local and would not go back for a long long time

5 Thank nancee02882_10
Dear Guest,
We sincerely appreciate your feedback. We deeply apologize for the inconsistent information provided in terms of restaurant capacity, but are pleased you were able to experience Seasons dining room. We regret that the courses you ordered were not to your liking. All our menu items are sourced locally and we are provided we the best quality ingredients. Our menu is priced to reflect this. Our menu is designed to offer guests the ability to taste and experience a variety of these specially selected foods, hence our portions are made larger than a starter and smaller than a main course. With this in mind, we hope you try us again in the future.
Kind regards,
mystic ct
“It's back! Very fancy, ups and downs...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2010

After years of the OH being closed for renovations it is finally open and being a local, I was really excited to check it out. It is beautiful, with lots of areas for eating and drinking, (no casual beach veranda as before, a big disappointment) if you can afford to! It is very expensive, $14 for a short cocktail and $17 for a cheeseburger, to give you an idea. The steamers were excellent, not a grain of sand and very sweet, the Watch Hill oysters were excellent too. The spring onion soup was a complete miss however, the base was cornstarch-shiny and had little flavor. The mushroom garnish should have been good, but was overly acidic ,unfortunately and we did not eat it past a bite each. The trio of mini burgers was better, albeit overcooked a tad, asked for rare, they came medium. It was pleasant to sit there though and mostly was a good experience. The waitstaff has some watchouts going into a busy summer season. They are probably still working out the kinks but, besides the extremely hard-working bartendress, there was many, many just standing around as food piled up on the line. (they have an open kitchen, so this is easy to spot, especailly for the bar patrons). No one seemed to have an idea, including the line chef, that cold food is undesirable. They need to have a policy, that even if it is not your table's item, you need to get it to where it needs to go. Watching no less than 10 waitstaff (and managers!) go over, pick up our order's ticket, read it, put it back down, then stand around, was really frustrating. We were sitting right there! The line chef wasn't empowered to get those kids to move it. I don't think any of them previously held a job in hospitality, it was fairly obvious. The OH needs to hire experienced waitstaff if they want to make it completely upscale. I will go back, not often, but it is very lovely.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank birthdaygirl2
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience. We are pleased to hear that your experience was mostly good. Our culinary team is constantly working to make improvements on its cuisine, each day striving to create superior dishes. We are also working on refining the service our restaurant provides our guests, including the steps of service. We hope you join us again in the future.
Kind Regards,