“Weird Food”

Description: Part of the Ocean House Hotel
Ashland, Oregon
“Weird Food”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I counted 10 people in the small kitchen cooking for four tables and the food was horrible. French fries were over cooked and a limp disgusting pickle was on the plate. It is so hard to believe how the food can be so bad with so much help and their distinguished ratings.

Visited February 2014
6 Thank mps7777777

Marblehead, Massachusetts
“delicious and great service”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Our meals were presented beautifully and served with precision and care. Unique offerings and love the farm to table initiative.

Visited December 2013
Pawcatuck, Ct USA
“You are welcome here !”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

My wife and I came here on a Thursday night, and it was very quiet, seemed the the hotel and restaurant was only opened for us (not true). We had a wonderful dinner, and wine at the bar. Their French fries are difficult to resist. Do not hesitate to go to the Ocean House, they are very welcoming. I know many hesitate as they feel it is expensive, but it is worth every dime to experience. I am returning soon, as it ha been decorated for Christmas.

Westfield, Massachusetts
“A Nearly Fatal Flaw”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

The Relais and Chateaux emblem embodies the highest pinnacle of quality, service and hospitality. At least that has been our experience staying and dining at several dozen of their properties in half a dozen countries, including our own. The wonderful individuality, almost fanatical attention to detail, and the tranquility of each place has made them memorable and treasured mental images in our extensive travel scrapbook.

We had been to the old Ocean House for lunch in what was perhaps its dying days in the late nineties. We like venerable places with plenty of character, but not when they are going to seed. That meal was pedestrian, lackadaisically served in crumbling surroundings, and quickly erased from memory-except for the lovely view. Perhaps there was even a tinge of attitude too.

The newly restored Ocean House has all the legitimate trappings of a R&C property. The grounds, the furnishings, the layout all are bespoke and sparkling. All the staff we met seemed warm, welcoming and genuinely interested in our well being-until a trap door opened.

The other half of our foursome has already written a recent review, and we second their point. A beautifully prepared lunch, a carefully selected wine list, a lovely set table and genuinely nice servers are all decimated by poor service. There was no coordination, no one in charge and less than half way through our meal, no one serving us. A very nice bottle of white wine sat in a cooler fifteen feet away along with three other bottles. When a server did show up, she needed advice on which one was ours. Towards the three hour point, the only person in sight was the trainee, junior waiter, or whatever title they give to the newbie who first approached our table, gave us his name and a choice of waters. He was clearing tables, putting dirty linens on chairs, while we were trying to get someone to remember they still had active and increasingly bewildered patrons.

I don't expect the same level of professionalism in waiters and waitresses in this country as I do in Europe, but I do expect someone to look into the dining room from time to time and take care of their customers. That didn't happen here, and it is unacceptable at any price point. With all of the other elements in place for a fine meal, they also let down the kitchen and the owners.

If anyone at the Ocean House is reading this, we didn't complain on the way out because we were all more than ready to leave and rather stunned. None of us enjoy complaining, and if you look at the vast majority of my reviews, I am mostly inclined to support and sympathize with the hard working people who invite us to their tables.

The dining room was half empty, and we could see other tables looking around, orphaned too. This wasn't the case of people pushed to the limit by having too many tables. If anything, they had too few, and perhaps we now know why. An average review for a R&C property should be like an average review for a professional athlete or musician-embarrassing.

2 Thank ulysses4
Mystic, CT
“Sunday Brunch”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We celebrated my niece's 21st birthday yesterday with brunch at Seasons, and it was just wonderful. This was my first time back to the Ocean House since it's floor to ceiling renovation, and it is truly beautiful. We had a table just a few feet from the large windows overlooking the surf on the incredible beach below. The setting is just beautiful, and there was a trio playing soft jazz in the background. We started with the included mimosas and bellinis, then moved on the the seafood raw bar, where we gorged on littlenecks, oysters, and giant chilled shrimp. All were delicious. Next were visits to the crepe station and charcuterie/antipasto selection. The antipasto selection was pretty limited, but I wasn't worried about going home hungry. Next we chose our plated entrees, two of us opted for the Traditional Eggs Benedict, which were terrific, made with delicious black forest ham, and perfectly cooked eggs. The other two people had Eggs Benedict over Parmeson Risotto, and they were disappointed in the dish. The plate was pretty blah looking, just the risotto with little bits of ham mixed in and the poached eggs on top. Everyone had been saving a little room for dessert, as they looked so incredible. I had a fresh berry crepe, filled with raspberries, strawberries, and the largest blackberries I have ever seen, topped with whipped cream. There must have been 20 dessert items to choose from, such as chocolate torte cakes, expresso mousse, merinques, and custards. Delicious coffee ended the meal.

The service was excellent. Very friendly and professional wait staff. If I could afford the $$ and the calories, I'd go back every Sunday!

1 Thank Mstvl