“Views great, food pass”

Description: Part of the Ocean House Hotel
New Haven, Connecticut
“Views great, food pass”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

My mother and I had lunch on the veranda. The view is nice, breezy air, the atmosphere was very relaxing. We both ordered the curried chicken salad sandwich. The sandwich actually came out on a hotdog bun. No flavor and unmemorable. I was hungry while waiting so asked if I could have some bread, which was good and fresh. I was shocked when I recieved the bill and saw they charged $5.50 for the bread basket! The bill was $70 for 2 sandwiches and 2 drinks, and oh ya bread. For that price I was expecting more exciting food. Not sure we would return, but if so it would be only for drinks.

3 Thank PC188
communicationsOH, General Manager at Seasons at the Ocean House, responded to this review, August 11, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. On The Verandah, all our sandwiches are served on brioche rolls, which may look similar to hot dog buns but are not. Our prices do reflect the quality of ingredients we use, from the bread to the Madras curry. As we do not typically serve bread baskets out on The Verandah, we do apply a charge as other restaurants do, if a guest requests one.

essex ct
“Go hungry. Leave hungry. Spend lots.”
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Unfortunately, this fabulous site will never make it on the basis of food service. We two spent $126.00 for lunch for ourselves: two bloodies; two draft beers (8 oz elegant glass = my guess = beer lover = these were skimpy. 12 oz is a regular can of beer. One would have hoped for at least equal in this posh place. But whoa! They managed to do less by putting the beer in an elegant glass. ) We lunch out very frequently. Average cost for pretty much the same thing...beers etc. $26.00 to $66.00. Imagine our shock. Great place, yes. but DOUBLE the highest "norm"? I don't think so. Re-emphasize that when considering the "food". We both had cobb salad. We both received long narrow plates of lettuce, dotted with the cobb-style stuff. "Dotted" being the operative word. For, now I'm guessing, $19.00, there was not even half an egg, not visible avocado, not a chunk of chicken...and so on. A plate of lettuce for $19.00!!!!!!
I will bring friends to this lovely spot. But you can be sure it will be as visitors.

Visited July 2011
2 Thank boneyjoany
hartford ct
“2nd visit..disappointed both times”
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Second visit to Ocean House. Once for birthday dinner for my 80 yr old mother and the second time with girlfriends.
Both times I was disappointed by the staff. Though friendly they appear young and not well trained.
We turned our cold, non-toasted lobster rolls away and headed to Mystic for a great roll.
On my first visit, the waitress forgot my wine, and gave my Mom the wrong dessert.
The views are wonderful and the atmosphere is as well but I would not go back to eat!

1 Thank jpblooms
communicationsOH, General Manager at Seasons at the Ocean House, responded to this review, July 13, 2011
Dear Guest,
Please accept our sincere apologies for your unsatisfactory dining experiences. We will share your feedback on the lobster roll with our culinary team. We hope that despite this experience you do visit us again, as we are constantly working to improve our service.
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Magnificent!”
Reviewed July 3, 2011

One word sums up my feelings about this place. From the hospitality received at the driveway valet service to the Waiter service from Chris! I was made to feel happy for just being at their establishment.
The views - breath taking! See pictures attached.
Try the Hereford burger at lunch. The lobster salad bun was more than decent. Mussels, might have been local, not as good as PEI. Great wine selection to chose from. By the glass is some of the best whites we've tried.
You will leave your wallet here but be glad for the chance just to be treated so well and enjoy a Magnificent view and historic landmark. The chef, Eric, I wanted to try does not do lunch and I have noted to come back for dinner or lobster bake next time I travel through.

• Visited July 2011
communicationsOH, General Manager at Seasons at the Ocean House, responded to this review, July 6, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback, and your visit to the Ocean House. It is truly rewarding when we are able to impress new guests when they dine with us, as we put forth great efforts to make it a memorable experience for them. In Seasons, our Chefs use PEI mussels. Chef Eric, while involved in all aspects of Seasons restaurant including breakfast and lunch, is on the line during dinner service. Please visit us again.
California
“Surprisingly Good”
Reviewed May 24, 2011

Make reservations in advance, and ask for a table by the window - the ocean view is stunning!

Almost all of the menu items we chose were delicious - from a peach&lemon "mock-tail", to the amuse bouche to the red potato soup, mac & cheese, to the glazed & charred asparagus, and a ricotto cheese tart with spun sugar for dessert..

The ribeye was perfectly cooked, but a bit tough. The manager immediately offered to replace it.

Service was very good.

It can be a bit noisy when it gets croded, as it inevitably does between the locals and the hotel guests. Nonetheless, it was a pleasure to dine here, and we are happy we went.

• Visited May 2011
communicationsOH, General Manager at Seasons at the Ocean House, responded to this review, June 1, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. We are delighted you were pleased with your meal. We hope you visit us again.