“Great Experience ! First Class All the way !” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Ocean House

The Ocean House
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Watch Hill
Milford, Connecticut
“Great Experience ! First Class All the way !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

The Ocean House is a great place to spend a few days (or longer). we enjoyed the room, the beach, the food and the location. Hard to find a better spot anywhere on the East Coast. The resort is upscale and at the high end of the price spectrum, but value is what we are all ultimately in search of and you get solid value here.

Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Thank you so much for your kind words. It sounds like you had a wonderful visit and I am hopeful to see you back soon!

President & Group Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Turkish first
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

We did not stay at the hotel but had dinner at the restaurant. The facilities are luxurious and the service quality is outstanding. While the location is priced at the highest end of the spectrum, it certainly gives it back. The only reason I didn't rate it higher was the quality of the coffee, even after being sent back and being offered a complimentary cup which was also not good- the machine was to blame.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
      Location
1 Thank OBofNY
I am glad you enjoyed your dining experience! While I realize that people have varying preferences in their coffee, we will be sure to look at the machine to ensure that all is functioning properly.

Greenwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

First, the good things. The Ocean House is stunning. The beach is the best beach I have seen in New England and the town of Watch Hill is charming. Everyone on the staff is extremely kind and helpful. We had a suite plus an adjoining room to accommodate the five of us. It certainly had almost everything we needed and the view from the deck was simply amazing. We were there over the fourth of July and enjoyed a great beach barbecue/lobster bake and great fireworks. Most of the things that were lacking were minor but here we go: there was a dearth of deck furniture available in our suite. No umbrella, only two loungers and a small table with four chairs. Even though our suite had a separate laundry room with a washer, dryer, ironing board and iron, there was no outlet in this laundry room I could find to plug in the iron. Thus I had to put the ironing board in the hall so I could plug in and touch up something I wanted to wear. Each night, with turndown service, the staff left little items to replace the proverbial chocolate on the pillow. There were five of us staying in three separate bedrooms, yet the staff would leave only two turndown gifts. For the price of that suite I do think a few more items (like a chap stick, hair oil or some great sweet) would not bankrupt the hotel and would have helped us resolve who got what. The dining choices are VERY limited for vegetarians or vegans and when asked if we could order a salad off the menu from another of the restaurants in the hotel we were told "no" and then offered a salad that had watermelon, a personal dislike. No other choices. And, finally, room service was extremely slow. Sometimes an order could take more than an hour to arrive. And sometimes, when calling room service, no one would answer the phone. When delivered, the staff was WONDERFUL which compensated somewhat for the slow service. I was also surprised that the windows in the rooms would not open. Given the great ocean breeze it would have been great to sleep with an open window. Would we go back? Yes, in an heartbeat but hoping some of these issues would not repeat.

Room Tip: Just ask for a room that faces the ocean. Rooms on the other side of the hotel face a fairly busy s...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank bbur970019
We rely on the helpful feedback from guests like yourselves to help us improve upon our service and all of your comments are extremely helpful. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I very much look forward to seeing you back soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2014

I took my young son to The Ocean house for 3 nights / 4 days. The staff were excellent!! They were so polite and kind to my son and to me. One morning before the beach restaurant opened, all servers took time to play paddle ball with my son. The Food and Beverage Director was excellent, as well. They rooms were very clean and beautiful. The food was always very good. The music in the lobby each night was amazing and I just couldn't say more how glad I am that I choose to visit The Ocean House. I will be back again next summer, and possibly before then!

Room Tip: All the rooms are very nice. A room with a balcony is nice.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Sharon K
I am so glad you and your son had such a nice visit! While we adore our return guests, it’s always wonderful to experience Ocean House through the eyes of our first-time visitors, so thank you for sharing with us! I look forward to seeing you again next summer, and hopefully before then as well!

Boston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

My wife and I decided to attend the lobster bake for our anniversary. We were married at the Ocean House last July (see the review posted August 29, 2013) and were really looking forward to visting the property again. As there was a three night minimum in place for the weekend and no exceptions even if there were vacant rooms or it happened to be your anniversary, we decided to simply have a drink, enjoy the lobster bake and walk the property before returning home for the night.

We were excited for the lobster bake since we had modeled our rehearsal dinner after the idea and felt it romantic to recreate the experience a year later (though sans guests and center of the spotlight this year). As always, the aesthetics of the Ocean House are undeniable. It is a gorgeous location and the lobster bake was set up beautifully on the beach. My wife and I were seated at a four person table next to another couple. We really did enjoy the company but thought it would have been nice, given the whole anniversary thing, to have the option of our own table. In any event, we grabbed a drink and our food and started to enjoy the evening.

The food was good though not great as the lobster was undercooked. Disappointing given that the lobster was the star of the show but we did enjoy the other selections. The real issue started when the very, very large seagulls started to dive onto the tables and steal the food right off the plates. The semi-raw lobster didn't deter even the pickiest gull. It was nice to be on the beach and understand that the wildlife is part of the experience but the Ocean House should have been more prepared. A simple solution would have been faster bus service and additional staff. When half eaten plates are left on the tables for a period of time, the birds will join the party every time. I am just happy none of the guests were wearing the end product of the gull's dinner on their way home.

For $110 a person, the lobster bake would have been fine if the lobster were fully cooked and the birds didn't share the table. But note that the Ocean House adds a 22% service charge to the bill. It remains a mystery to me why the charge is added. This is a buffett where guests serve themselves (both food and drink) and where we bussed our own table in an attempt to keep the gulls away.

We did, however, end the night with a small replica of the top of our wedding cake in the bar upstairs. A definite highlight of the night and another reason why the event planning staff (we arranged the cake through that department) deserves a lot of credit.

Again, I am torn about this review since the Ocean House holds such a special place in our hearts. It's kind of like that favorite shirt that you wear regardless of whether there are a few wrinkles and everyone still compliments you on it anyways. I am sure we will be back though hope the Ocean House finds the iron and uses it not only for the guests that bestow the accolades but also for those like us.

PS. I have been curious as to why the general manager responds to all posts other than our post following our wedding and referenced above.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank cfboer
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
I am very sorry your lobster boil experience was not as you expected. We do promote our lobster boils as family-style seating which is why you were seated with another couple for the evening; however we do our best to accommodate special requests should we receive them ahead of time. Unfortunately we do not typically have seagulls who are quite as aggressive as they were that evening and I am very sorry they put such a damper on the evening. Again, I do apologize for your experience and assure you that we will correct these issues, and I am grateful that we will see you again in the future!

Guilford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

Everything at this hotel/resort was just perfect. Location was gorgeous, the room was incredibly well decorated and comfortable, the fitness center and spa were top-notch and the service was really impeccable. The food at all of the restaurants we tried was seasonal and delicious. We particularly enjoyed the lobster boil on the beach and the jazz breakfast. This resort is expensive, but worth it!

Room Tip: Top floor room was quiet and had amazing view of the ocean.
      Location
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank PKNY225
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
It sounds like you had a truly wonderful stay and I am truly appreciative that you took the time to share your feedback with us. We still have another month of Lobster Boils and would love to see you back again!

Tiburon, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

Let me start by saying that I thought the location,; decor and finishes in every room in this hotel were outstanding. You can hardly ask for more in a destination. We booked a wonderful room for a 2 night/3 day stay to get away for some restorative R&R (we are from San Francisco) that has now totaled 4 weeks away from home as we've been living at our Connecticut 'home base' after my husband's dad passed away suddenly. We had worked nonstop for 4 weeks cleaning out a huge home and handling end of life matters and we wanted luxury, an ocean, and pampering at the highest level, even if just for a few days before putting in a final week to wrap up and return home. We chose the Ocean House.

We were told our room wasn't ready (not a surprise as we were early and it was a busy Sunday) which was fine, but the manager who checked us in did tell us it was because the other guests had just vacated the room at 1pm. Hmmmm....checkout is noon but if they meet the 4pm check-in time who's to quibble? Peter, the manager who checked us in, was stiff and too formal for our taste, but I suppose when one is paying $1000 a night for a regular room (not a suite) perhaps the hotel feels people expect formality. We do not. He was neither warm nor welcoming in any way. Boom, bam. All business. We'll page you when your room is ready.

We're fortunate to have stayed at many wonderful hotels around the world and gracious, warm service is a given (and can fix almost any issue) butbI told myself not to start drawing conclusions. The "living room" area had wonderful seating but the Sunday brunch jazz music in the area was so loud that even many yards away by the reception area we could not hear the receptionist. Even the woman who works in the gift shop farther away from the music by the front door said the noise level on Sundays is way too loud and many people complain. We decided to have lunch outside on the Verandah where from our experience the service would get maybe an 18 out of 30 on Zagat. Again, we were happy to be outdoors and having lunch near the beach but we were disappointed in the very slow service.. Sunday brunch is clearly a busy time so where were the requisite servers so that we didn't wait 20 minutes for so much as a glass of wine after we got a table? I have no idea. I make a great number of allowances for wait staff having put myself through many years of college by waiting tables and cleaning up after other people, so rest assured I feel my criticisms in this area are fair. I will not ever blame the wait staff for bad food or being too busy as it is clearly the job of the managers to ensure adequate staffing for times that are guaranteed to be busy. This was clearly the case during our lunch. Still, I do not want to wait 20 minutes for something to drink when I am going to pay $100+ for lunch.

As I said earlier, the hotel and our room were fabulous. You could not be disappointed with a thing. Our only issue is that either our phone system was not working or there was some odd Do Not Disturb button that was pushed but not illuminated, as we could never get returned calls and had no idea why. All we saw was a red light showing 'phone charging' when we would inspect the phone. This did cause some issues with dinner reservations, but nothing we weren't able to get over.

We dined at Seasons the first night and were somewhat underwhelmed given the hype, but our servers were so very friendly that we had a nice evening. If you are a stickler for proper table service, you would be dissatisfied at food arriving before anyone had brought out the appropriate silverware (happened 3-4 times in one meal) but they were trying and friendly.
Sadly, overall service was also an issue as we waited for at least 15 minutes before anyone brought over more than water. I actually considered getting up and leaving when this delightful young woman ran over with two menus apologizing for how busy our server was and saying he would be right with us...She was extremely sweet and has a personality intended for the hospitality industry, but still...I don't want a $300 dinner to start out by my already getting annoyed that I can't even order a glass of wine. I do not mind waiting, but at least have someone take a cocktail or wine order. Our food was delicious and despite the spotty and slow service, we had a lovely time and enjoyed our food.

The one issue that simply ruined my getaway was the attitude and response I got (or rather did not get) from the front desk manager Peter. I might add at this point that he was the person who checked us in on Sunday who was all business--no warmth; He was also in the dining room on Sunday evening when we were having dinner and kept visibly correcting how the servers were preparing to parade plates of food to the tables to serve guests. Most important he was the one in charge when we had a big problem and simply blew it.

This hotel does not have a Do Not Disturb sign or button on the door to you room or suite. You can pre-schedule your daily housekeeping or call when you are leaving to have it done. Otherwise they will leave you alone. Fine. Nice idea in theory. We chose to phone vs. pre-schedule, not knowing what we would want to do on Monday. Around 11:45 on Monday I phoned to say we would be leaving and would like our room made within the next hour and was told they would be arriving shortly. We had a wonderful time hiking and exploring and were gone almost 4 hours and returned to our room to find nothing done. I was very upset, as we had work to do and were planning on dining in our room because a big thunderstorm was heading our way and it sounded quite good to stay and enjoy the lovely room, ocean surf and storm! When I phoned at 4 upon our return, housekeeping was very apologetic and offered to come right away, but we were tired, needed showers, and had to work to do for a deadline and could not have people in our room. With our schedule and dinner plans for en suite, we were left without any cleaning unless we opted to go out again and then of course they could do a light cleaning at turn-down time. I ended up feeling under the weather, not wanting to go out again, so we spent the evening with a dirty room and I was very, very unhappy that we had to have dinner in a messy room with an unmade bed and used towels for our showers.

All of that said, I phone the front desk the following morning for a late checkout and ask for a one hour extension of our checkout to 1pm since I hadn't felt well and was moving slowly. I also realized that although our room had been ready on time by 4 when we checked in, the previous occupants had been in the room until 1pm so I was sure housekeeping could do the room in 3 hours--especially since we didn't get housekeeping the day before! I was told the room was rented for that night so it wasn't possible. I pushed back politely reminding them that the previous occupants stayed until 1pm and since there had been a big housekeeping snafu, I felt they should extend us the courtesy of a one hour delay. NOPE. Not going to do it UNLESS WE'D LIKE TO PAY $500 FOR AN EXTRA HALF DAY. Now, let me say that it was as much or more the attitude of how this message was delivered as it was the message itself and when I reminded the manager Peter (see a common theme here?) that our housekeeping snafu had been a really big issue for us and put a big damper on our evening, I was told that was just "it"-- $500 for extra half day or be out by noon. His tone was dismissive and he basically disagreed with me about how the housekeeping situation had occurred. I have never met anyone in the hospitality industry so poorly suited to communicating with customers who are paying for luxury but he ought to go find another occupation. I could have handled the "No" but was aghast at the manner of delivery.

We were at the front desk by noon to check out and my husband was vague but a bit 'so so' when asked by a lovely receptionist how our stay was and within 10 seconds, the now familiar Peter was standing behind me. I told him that I couldn't begin to believe that with so many rooms to clean ours couldn't be put in the queue after others and still be ready by 4pm ( let's be real: they cannot clean every dirty room exactly at noon--there is a queue!) given that the same service within a shorter window was accomplished on Sunday when we checked in after the previous occupants had stayed until 1. He had to tell me again how he'd charged them $500 for that one hour, which I scarcely believe but did not take issue with... I told him again we'd had a BIG inconvenience and were not called back by the housekeeping manager after I phoned about our dirty room (I had asked that he or she phone me personally that night) and given all the facts, his attitude basically saying I had it wrong as if somehow it was our fault that our room was not serviced was the issue. I am tactful; I am polite; I have worked hard for every dollar I spend at hotels such as this one; I will pay dearly for high quality and excellent service but I will not accept curt or dismissive responses to valid complaints. He basically said "So we failed. Yes, we failed." And then he walked away. I never, ever heard an apology or felt any true contrition. Sorry you just spent $2300 for two nights lodging and had to come back to a dirty room where you'd hoped to have a nice dinner. Oops! Oh, you would like an extra hour today which will of course inconvenience our housekeeping staff but could never make up for a housekeeping snafu that shouldn't occur at a hotel of this level and you can't have it? Unbelievable.

I don't believe the customer is always right but I do feel in this case we were treated poorly and for that reason alone I would never return to this hotel or recommend it to anyone. You can visit the hotel by stopping by for brunch or a drink but don't waste this kind of money on a stay that could be instantly ruined just by the inappropriate attitude of someone who is clearly top management and should know enough to choose a different path with an unhappy guest who has endured a valid issue with the room.

I've overlooked many human errors in my career and my leisure travel because we all make mistakes and I am sure the housekeeping error, big as it was to us, is a rarity for this hotel. However, especially in an almost perfect world like the Ocean House, when something does go wrong the true character and worth of a hotel is truly measured by how it is handled. I could not have said please and thank you more often than I did to every staff person who assisted us for three days because I value excellent service and know how hard it is to deliver. However, even the best date can be ruined if at the end of a lovely meal and broadway show, your date basically delivers a slap in the face whether it be a comment or some omission of enough significance to truly ruin the experience. That is what happened to us.

Much if not most of our stay was amazing. In total, the real problem was not that housekeeping dropped the ball and left us with a dirty room. I probably would never have dinged the hotel on this review for that alone. It was YOU, Peter, and how you handled the situation that was the coup de grace.

Thank you to the lovely young woman (I am so sorry that I cannot be sure I remember your name correctly but age 19 and clearly on her way to becoming a star in the hospitality industry!) for making our dinner at Seasons go from fair to fun. You were a gem and a delight at our table. My husband and I have traveled the world and been guests in wonderful hotels, and we were struck by how amazingly well honed your skills at guest relations were at such a young age. Good luck with your studies and career in the hospitality industry!

The Ocean House is a gem. Our experience was not on par with what we should have received. We drove away knowing we'd never return. The highlight of our stay was the hike along Napatree to the point and back around the bay side. I highly recommend it to anyone visiting. Be prepared to walk and scramble through some rocks, but you will be rewarded with beauty that no amount of money can purchase at any hotel in the world. We will not forget it.

Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
27 Thank Deborah L
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
I am truly sorry that your experience while at Ocean House did not live up to your expectations or our standards, especially following a difficult loss for your family. I regret that none of our senior management team was requested, as I am confident we would have been able to resolve all issues for you during your stay. Please be assured that I will personally look into the situations that impacted your stay and resolve any issues so that no future guests should experience this. I have also addressed your concerns with the associate you mentioned and are working to resolve these problems. As you said, this experience is not the "norm" at Ocean House; we have so many exceptional team members and I wish your experiences with those associates show you who we really are. I do hope that in the future you will give us the chance to make it up to you and show you the true Ocean House.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Watch Hill
The Whaler's Inn
The Whaler's Inn
#2 of 13 in Mystic
Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa

Been to The Ocean House? Share your experiences!