“Babymoon from heaven”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Watch Hill
Boston, Massachusetts
“Babymoon from heaven”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

My husband and I are expecting our 3rd child so we booked a suite at the Ocean House as a last getaway before the arrival. I was very excited about the trip but did not expect what an amazing property this is and how luxurious and restful it was. The buildings are beautiful, beach lovely, restaurant very good with a beautiful view and interesting dishes (I had the best pancakes of my life) and the no tipping in addition the spa, daily activity suggestions and friendliness of the staff were unparalleled in my view. We live in the city and have stayed at the Four Seasons and Mandarin Oriental and while I enjoyed both of those hotels, their hospitality does not come close to the service we experienced here. I honestly cannot think of another place we stayed where the staff was so accommodating and friendly and took care of every detail. Maybe on our honeymoon in hawaii. It is expensive. But worth it in my view.

Room Tip: we stayed in the weekapaug suite. It was gorgeous. Next time we go back, I don't think we will s...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank karen l
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Thank you for our kind words. While we think a hotel’s physical property is a very important factor, we strongly feel that it is the staff that makes the experience! I am so glad you found our staff to be so hospitable and that our team was able to make your babymoon a trip to remember! Hopefully we will get to welcome the entire family next time!

President & Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed April 8, 2014

When our plans to travel far & wide were curtailed, my dearest friend and I decided to stay local and try The Ocean House (OH) mainly because of its proximity, recent renovations and intriguing reputation. The OH reputation pales in comparison to our high-maintenance-ish expectations. We discovered a keepsake we will treasure, a northeast coast gem perfect for those who want a quick jaunt for respite, indulgent culinary creations and yes, pampering...without ALL the burden of logistics.

A nominal fee is included in your charges so there is NO TIPPING. As I waited for my friend in Seasons (fine dining room), I had a view of the gorgeous beach and a first-ever celebrity helicopter easy on-off landing on the beach (local resident). As if the vista isn't enough, the food is almost too pretty to eat...but not in the petite fashion. The culinary staff uses local foods when they can and the wait staff is astute at describing the plates and suggestions that qualify them as foodies (precisely what you would expect at some far away resort with prices to match). The value of the whole stay was unparalleled when you take into account all that we did while staying at OH. Mind you: NEVER have I been one to jump in to do any hokey happenings during a break...I'm the one at the beach and restaurant, until now.

We opted to take the tour of the property which was informative, interesting and breathtaking. I've been to OH before but never even noted the artwork within, the charming history of the property and had assumed the property was renovated when it was actually carefully demolished and pieces of the original buildings and landscape were carefully built into the brand new structure. The property has just enough rooms which would explain the superior service and personal attention during our stay. Note: The artwork on every floor is worth a gander...if time allows.

Next, we attended a cooking demonstration at the Seasons grill area where Chef Dennis (with jovial intercessions by Chef Janice) showed us the art of making German Spaetzle, a few ways, serving us the finished product and providing us with the recipe (for foodies, a must-do activity…complimentary, of course!). Speaking of courses, next we went to a wine & cheese tasting in the Clubroom (gorgeous room overlooking the ocean again) hosted by the OH Sommelier. Delightful. At our early-for-us dinner, we each ordered items we would not necessarily cook at home and savored every bite. Our room bed was cozier than both my bedroom and living room put together. (Molton Brown amenities, gorgeous window treatments and vistas of the beach, panel wood doors separating the bedroom/sitting area to the sunken tub, marble top sink, lovely tiled shower and separate loo and gorgeous fixtures). Added first-class touches included “welcome!” OH biscuits and honey butter, computer/lens wipes atop our laptops, whoppers that melt in your mouth, assorted snacks and chilled OH bottled water).

Complimentary coffee was delivered at wake-up and I can still taste the Dave's blend in the stainless carafe that kept the coffee steaming hot (Dave's market is a local market, I was told...must get some next time). We attended a Stretch, Bend & Core class and felt ever so glad we did. Invigorated and so well-rested, we stayed on at the fitness center to walk on the treadmills while watching an episode on my iPad of "House of Cards" (relax! We had the place to ourselves) and felt inspired to leisurely walk the beach after that. Remember: I'm the pool, beach, sleep and eat only hotel guest??!! Lunch was better than the day prior and the service exceeded our expectations that they couldn’t possibly maintain those exceptional standards from the day prior. Am I in Rhode Island?

Well, what do you know, we attended another cooking demonstration and felt welcomed back. This time Chef Janice prepared and served us Jonny Cakes, RI corn cakes (and interactions from Chef Dennis provided priceless added entertainment). Then we walked over to the Spirits 101 class with Dean, the bartender, in the Club Room. We opted to take the shuttle to the sister property, The Weekapaug Inn...when the shuttle was already out, the bell staff drove us in the hotel Mercedes sedan...and picked us up when we were ready. No tipping, remember?!

Dinner, wine, a goodie bag of decadent sweets at Seasons and we were set to rest. Really rest. Again. Dave's and TWO exercise classes we would never have done in a million years (Tai Chi ~ enjoyed it; and, Yoga ~ Upward Dog, Downward Dog was not for me. I felt like I was at church). So glad we gave it our all and tried something new.

Lunch overlooking the ocean and recap of the two nights, three glorious days while reviewing our room charges and we were beyond content with the expenses incurred. Anyone planning a milestone getaway with children who are finishing high school and in the throes of college know how pricey and needy they are...so, getting away to an island somewhere is virtually impossible...there's always something. Sun is overrated. Air travel is cumbersome. A quick jaunt to the sea just over the Connecticut border in the Ocean State at the Ocean House is the only way to go, da`lings.

The Ocean House is the perfect jaunt for a relaxing, sumptuous escape that will make you say, "Is this real life? Are we in Rhode Island or ______? I forget. Let's make this a semi-annual outing, shall we?". OH is a gem, a keepsake, and a treasure that I bet will maintain all of its charm when I return "home" to OH (very) soon.

Added FYI's: Complimentary champagne upon arrival; The cappuccino, coffee, tea, hot chocolate machine in the lobby during morning hours; The staff are beyond pleasant but not over-the-top...if you ask where something is, like a good boutique, they accompany you to the area and provide interesting information about the property you might be interested in knowing; The house vodka is Kettle One. Shhh.; Did I mention all of the classes and courses and demonstrations are complementary and not hokey but first-class quality...like cooking and exercise classes you pay for at home!?; The view, chaise lounges and pampering after the OH Spa in the exquisite Relaxation/Recovery Room (my all-time favorite spot at OH); The parting gift at check out...Um, you'll see.; The chilled OH bottled waterS in your car when the valet brings you your car at check-out... Added touches that will make you want to leave several extra envelopes to say "thank you".

Suggested Modifications: Please don't accompany me to my room at check-in (or offer to so I can decline). Awkward. I would prefer hearing the basics at check-in...I won't steal anything on my way to the room, I promise.; Entice me to spend time in the Spa and match the service fees to those at spas in New York or Boston (I found them to be over-the-top pricey, despite the Relaxation Room).

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
I am sincerely appreciative of your thorough and thoughtful feedback, we wish we could get a look into every guests’ stay like this! I am so glad that although a visit to Ocean House wasn’t part of your original plans, your vacation was still a success. Thank you for stepping outside of your comfort zone and trying so many new things during your visit with us and I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed April 8, 2014

My husband took me for a two night visit last week and were greeted, treated, and indulged together to a fabulous stay. The hotel is simply lovely without ostentia (my own word-you can define it several ways)...From the deluxe yet cozy room overlooking the croquet pitch and Harkness House, to a beach I have yet to find comparison with. Two breakfasts and one dinner at Seasons, all served by an outstanding and" just the right amount" of attentive waitstaff, prepare to be treated (and yes, pay for) their creative and fabulously fresh ingredients..the tinyest and tastiest baby leaf of which sat on top of our shared dessert of basil ice cream (OH Yes!). Morning coffee (from local roaster) was the hottest and best tasting in recent memory.
The workout center, lap pool and spa were all sparkly clean and staffed by attentive girls who take their jobs on every day with a smile and helpful demeanor ("would you like a bottle of cold water?"). Massage? OH Yeah! From reading glasses to granola bars and hot tea, the apres treatment room commands yet another view of East Beach.
We have enjoyed the area for decades, and now thanks to the Ocean House, a whole new crop of folks will get to do the same. OH Yes, come on up!

Room Tip: We had no balcony on the third floor looking west..but didn't miss it in the cool march overcast...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your enthusiastic review! I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and I am confident in saying that I am sure we will see you back soon!

Reviewed March 31, 2014

We celebrated our wedding anniversary this past Saturday with dinner at Seasons and a one night stay. I wish it was our anniversary every day so we didn't have to leave! These are my favorite things about our stay. I loved the glass of champagne as we waited for our room and it is a pretty good brand I might add. It went well with the scones that were in our room too! Yum! Like many places the floor valet and the complimentary drinks and snacks are really nice. Some places charge extra for each additional bottle of water but not OH. My favorite is the turndown service. Like many places they dim lights and put the chocolates by the nightstand. For me it was as if we were walking into a new room. The hung the robe perfectly again and even placed my make-up bags on a resting towel. Another special touch for those celebrating a special occasion as that we brought our champagne flutes and a floral centerpiece for our table at dinner. I was hoping they wouldn't forget to put both out and sure enough when we arrived they were placed just as I would expect it to be. The little extra touches they provided at dinner was so nice. The anniversary card, homemade jam and as you depart Seasons a little bag of sweets was provided. I have seen some reviews were people mention when they leave they do not get waters or chocolates for the car ride home but we did. I think it gets a little hectic during that time so if you don't just ask. If you have the chance to splurge this should be your place. Enjoy!

Room Tip: You may not want a room that faces the construction equipment at Taylor Swift's house. Sort of a...
1 Thank npt329
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Thank you for choosing to celebrate your anniversary with us! We also wish it was your anniversary every day, so that you could stay and celebrate with us. However, there are plenty of other occasions worth celebrating, like Saturdays for example! No matter the occasion, we hope to see you again soon and thank you for sharing your kind words.

Pawtucket, Rhode Island
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Pawtucket is about as far away from Westerly as you can get and still be Rhode Island, so when we decided to try the Sunday Jazz Brunch, I thought it would be difficult to justify the time and cost.

It was well worth the drive, and even with a price tag of $54, the buffet brunch represents some of the best food prep and presentation that I've ever experienced.

The service and ambiance were fabulous and we had a great ocean view. If you add together the value of the champagne, fresh juices, gourmet coffee, raw bar, various salads, nuts, cheeses, breads, breakfast pastries, crepes, desserts -- not to mention the entree selection -- this is just an insane value.

Except for the two hours worth of round trip driving, I think I'd go every weekend if I could.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your tremendous compliment! The beauty of being from such a small state is that we are never too far way and I hope you’ll be ready to make the drive again soon. We’ll be here waiting for you any Sunday of your choosing!

Cliffside
Reviewed March 28, 2014

The Ocean House is the resort you will go back to again and again. The staff greets you by name and anticipates your every need. The hotel is lovely with an elegant beach decor, the spa is a destination in itself. As special in winter and less chaotic than during the summer.

Room Tip: Rooms with a terrace facing the ocean are special
1 Thank EMG150
I do hope you come back again and again! You are absolutely right, the winter is a special time at Ocean House and a perfect opportunity for the ultimate relaxing getaway.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

I loved visiting The Ocean House in Watch Hill. Such a clean, airy atmosphere with great access to everything Watch Hill has to offer. The gym and spa was a highlight. Proximity to everything (not that anything doesn't have a good location in this town) was only an extra plus.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I am so pleased you enjoyed your visit with us. I do hope we get the chance to welcome you back again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Watch Hill
#1 of 13 in Mystic
Sandy Shore Motel
Sandy Shore Motel
#5 of 6 in Misquamicut

Been to The Ocean House? Share your experiences!