“Beyond our Expectations!”
Review of The Ocean House

The Ocean House
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Watch Hill
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Our stay at The Ocean House this past weekend was beyond our expectations.
The moment we drove up, I knew that our stay would be spectacular. We arrived after dark so we could not see the grounds and the proximity we were to the ocean. This just heightened our anticipation for the next day. The check-in process was effortless. Our room was impeccable. We had a full ocean view room, and we could not wait to open the door to the deck to listen to the crashing waves just outside. Every moment we spent the next two days was better than the first. The staff was more than accommodating. One can see that they all took pride in their grand hotel, and wanted to make sure that all our needs were met. Our dining experience was nothing short of fabulous. If you are visiting the East Coast, The Ocean House is a must.
RL

Room Tip: Get an Ocean veiw room, it is worth the investment.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

There truly is something special about waking up and seeing that view overlooking the ocean, especially if it’s your first time taking in that scenery! I appreciate your glowing review and hope to have the honor of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Spent last weekend at the The Ocean House. The beauty and ambiance of this grand hotel is only surpassed by the professional and friendly attentiveness of it's staff. From the moment your drive up to your final check out everyone makes you feel like a welcome and valued guest. A truly wonderful spot for a special get a way weekend !

Room Tip: the club level veranda rooms are top shelf with fireplaces and lovely ocean views. Certainly worth t...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

On behalf of our entire staff, I am so glad that we were able to make your visit so memorable and enjoyable. We all hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed March 3, 2014

My wife and I only get away once or twice a year with just the two of us and when we do we look for an opportunity to relax and focus on each other in a comfortable and indulgent setting. The Ocean House provided the perfect backdrop for a romantic and rejuvenating 24 hours together... from the impeccable service to the spa treatments, the ocean view suite and the amazing dining experience.

The service is OUTSTANDING, and their no-tipping policy, truly makes you feel like each attentive interaction with the staff is coming from a genuine desire to make your experience as close to perfect as possible. Slight mishaps can occur at any establishment and I believe the sign of a great hotel is how the staff handles those events. In our case we arrived around 1pm and had requested (if possible) an early check-in so we could settle in to our room before spa treatments we had scheduled for mid-afternoon. As it turned out, our room was not ready until 4pm (after our massages). It was not a big deal, but the check in staff were so apologetic they give us a few free drink vouchers so we could relax at the bar until the room was ready. Very nice. Then, later that afternoon, they sent a complimentary bottle of champagne to our room to further make up for not having the room ready earlier. Completely unnecessary, but that is great service!

Our stay was made that much more memorable by running into the wonderfully friendly owners of the hotel on multiple occasions during our short stay. In one case, my wife had forgotten casual shoes and was checking out a pair of rain boots in the hotel gift shop so we could take a walk on the beach. They only had two pairs left and another woman, still in the store, had just purchased the only pair in my wife's size. That woman turned out to be one of the owners, Debbie Royce, and when she overheard us talking, she literally took the boots off her feet and gave them to my wife - insisting that we take them and that she could get another pair when the next shipment came in! Amazing! Who does that? We ran into Debbie and her husband Chuck at dinner later that evening and both came over to chat with us and ask us about our stay. I have never experienced any hotel owners that took that much interest in their guests' experience as the Royce's did. Interactions like that are probably more the exception than the rule, but the message behind it is that these are owners who are truly invested in the success of the operation and that is what will keep us coming back.

Even in the "off-season" the Ocean House exceeded our already high expectations. We left feeling like it was our best weekend getaway ever and now feel it should become an annual event.

Room Tip: We splurged for an Ocean View suite with a fireplace (since it was mid-March) and were so happy with...
1  Thank jbratz
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

I am so glad to hear that you chose Ocean House for one of your getaways this year and that we were able to prove it a good choice! As you saw firsthand, from our owners to our managers and our reception agents to our culinary team, every member of the Ocean House team is deeply committed to making each guests’ visit as memorable and wonderful as possible. Thank you again for giving us a try and for taking the time to share your wonderful feedback – I will look forward to having you back soon.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We stayed at the Ocean House a couple of years ago for my birthday in June. From the moment we got there until we left everything was exemplary and the birthday was celebrated in the room and in the Seasons restaurant. Nothing after that would ever match the place.

Since then I have gone for wellness weekends and we have gone for brunch. It is always a wonderful experience. Our honeymoon is overseas in a couple of weeks but we wanted to get away for our wedding night, and there was no question, it had to be the Ocean House.

When we stayed before I received an email some time before asking for all kinds of info and if anything special was needed. This time we did not receive any email. We received a call confirming our stay as we did before and I suppose I could have used that call to request anything special but it seemed easier with the email. I missed that.

Nonetheless, we were greeted with congratulations by the valets (we were still in tails and gown, so it was hard not to know!) and the customary champagne and courtesy by Guest Relations. We were escorted to the room and shown the new IPADS, the fireplace controls, etc. There was champagne waiting for us which our escort opened, returning with a cap to keep the bubbly bubbly as we were not going to drink it all that night. We had opted to bring our dog this time and he had a bed, sparking water dish and a box of three small fetch balls waiting for him.

We had a deluxe ocean view room this time which was magnificent, sparkling clean of course and comfortable, airy and beautiful. The bathtub was a pedestal-type tub however, unlike the huge rectangular tubs in the terrace rooms, which is fine, except that it doesn't have the tray across it like the rectangular ones, so one can't snack or imbibe champagne while soaking and watching Everybody Loves Raymond reruns on TVLand on the bathroom tv!

I also noticed that we weren't offered the valet-delivered drink at the crack of dawn as we were a couple of years ago. Not a big deal, but that was elegant.

We had tried to book for two nights but the hotel was going dark on Sundays and Mondays in some of the winter months so we could only book for Saturday night. As a result we had to check out at noon the next day. I had a spa treatment at 9AM (again, stellar!) and we had brunch reservations for noon, and we would gladly have packed the car and checked out by noon, but we didn't want to put the dog in the car while we ate (COLLLLD weather). I thought because the hotel was dark that night it would be easier to extend the checkout time but evidently that makes it more difficult as they must be doing maintenance, etc. When I explained the situation however they did give us another hour.

We were also able to get into Seasons about twenty minutes early so we didn't have to rush so much. The food was wonderful as usual. I was a bit surprised that the restaurant did not have a little something for us (the spa even had a congratulatory gift for me in addition to the usual trinkets) - it just didn't get communicated to them that we were on our mini honeymoon. I was expecting another jar of their tasty honey...

Still, it was a great visit, and I am looking forward to a wellness weekend in June. Even with small bumps in the road it's still the classiest act around. Very few places can touch it.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

We very much regret that we could not accommodate your wish to stay for two nights, as we were so honored you chose to celebrate your marriage with us. I thank you for being so understanding, as you are correct in that we have such limited time to complete many updates and renovations in a very short time. As a Five-Star property, we uphold very high standards in regards to both service and our overall property, and closing for two days a week in the beginning of the year (our quietest time) allows us to do all those projects that would otherwise disturb guests, such as painting, refinishing floors and replacing carpeting. I look forward to welcoming you back in June!

Reviewed March 1, 2014

The attitude of the employees in this beautiful hotel was very disappointing. The best reception we received was when we valeted our car. Upon walking in the door, the girl at the front desk was less than welcoming or helpful, which continued with every person involved in the check in process. After finally getting our room, to my surprise, we were given a room with no bathtub! I had hoped to get a spa appointment but all appointments were booked so worst case I thought I could take a relaxing bath. Not the case. The front desk did not feel they needed to provide us a room with a tub!! They refused to help. None of the room descriptions mentioned the lack of tub. My husband and I travel quite often and only stay at 5 star rated hotels, not to mention we were even married in a Relais Chateaux and our experiences have all been wonderful with lovely over the top service. The Ocean House was a complete disappointment. We have never had worse service. The place could be amazing, but in my opinion you are paying to be treated well and the Ocean House fell short.....too bad.

Room Tip: Ask what the bathroom contains!!!
6  Thank Bailey10021

We do apologize again for the misunderstanding in regards to the tub – while our room descriptions on our website define which room categories feature soaking tubs, I do apologize that you felt let down when the room category you had booked did not include a tub. Although you were not interested in our reception agent’s suggestion of upgrading to a room category with a tub during this stay, we have made sure to note in your guest profile that your prefer rooms with tubs should you return and give us another chance, and I do hope you do. As you can see from the vast majority of our reviews, our service and staff is often praised by our guests as being above and beyond anything they’ve ever experienced at other luxury hotels. I regret that you did not experience this level of service and want you to know that is not typical of us, nor acceptable. We would love the opportunity to show you the real Ocean House if you decide to give us another chance in the future.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

My husband and I have stayed at the Ocean House twice during the summer for long weekends. Our first stay was just when they opened. We felt we were treated like royalty. The staff was always on the mark from your arrivial to the moment we left. It is expensive, however, that first stay we felt it was well worth it. 2 summers later we came back again and were disappointed.They staff was clearly off. We arrived to a lovely welcome in our room but the welcome letter was for another couple. I wanted to sit on the side of the beach where there was umbrellas in the front row closer to the water but was told I was not permitted to as that was for residences perhaps not sure?? Wasnt the right answer and did not make us feel welcome. It was our first day so I did not question it and just went where I was told. However the beach attendant was a teen and he pointed to the bin of towels and then to the lounge chairs I was to use. At that point I asked him to set us up and he could not have been more irritated. This was not a good first day. The following day we decided to try the beach cabanas. We paid a ridiculous day rate for a cabana which no one could tell us what it cost on the beach but we took it anyway. My husband was not happy when we finally got the bill as our cabana was lacking some of the amenities the others had and the staff was not very attentivie to things that we asked for.

As for the restaurants - The food is delicious but we also love going off site and eating and the local restaurants as well.

At the end of our stay, we packed up and held our bags in storage and enjoyed the rest of the day on the beach. By late afternoon we asked the concierge to have our bags put in our car. We said our goodbyes and the valet informed us our bags were in our trunk (can't see the inside of our trunk unless you open it) 20 minutes into our ride home my husband had a feeling that the valet was overwhelmed and questioned if we actually had our luggage. I crawled to the back of car and took a look and sure enough,,,,NO LUGGAGE! We called the Ocean House and of course it was still there and we turned around and picked it up.

These are little things that just added up over a three day stay and was quite disappointing. I did write to the hotel and they sent me an email back with their apology and a discount during their off-season. That I found off putting as it was a time we would never take such a trip. It would have made more sense and I believe would have been a sound and hospitable business decision to offer us a free night or a discount during the same time that we go so we could enjoy the same amenitities as it should have been. But they didn't and that I thought was not cool.

I am sure they just had an off few days….or we were just unlucky during our stay. But I do hope the Ocean House which prides themsleves on exemplary service and accommodations next time owns up to it. ALL staff not just some have to abide by the same standards of courtesy. That although you are an elite vacation stay you must be attentive to all your guests. AND when you are clearly in error offering them a bone is not acceptable.

Room Tip: Please check your trunk to make sure your luggage is there!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lbmWestchester

The mishaps that occurred during your second stay are inexcusable and not a true reflection of the service standards we have set for ourselves and pride ourselves on. Again, I apologize that these errors came at your expense, but as young property we are constantly learning and growing and we have worked hard to make sure that what your experienced will not happen again. In regards to the beach confusion, one side of the seating area is reserved for members and the other side is for hotel guests, and unfortunately we cannot accommodate guests on the members' side and vice versa. I appreciate very much that you say you are still a believer and I am confident that we will redeem ourselves when you choose to return!

Reviewed February 27, 2014

This is my 5th stay at this wonderful hotel. They continue to provide a level of personal service you just can't find at most places. I am still surprised when so much of the staff calls me by name. They always have some welcoming and departing gift for you, as well as afternoon activities and cookies. The relaxation room is one of my favorite places for reading while getting served tea and snacks. The Spa is sensational although a bit pricey, but trust me, it's worth it! The food is excellent and Johnathan, the sommelier is so knowledgeable and the nicest guy.
Just a couple of days here and you are ready to "get back in the ring".

Room Tip: Nothing like an ocean view at the Ocean House
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

It means a great deal to us that you choose Ocean House as your go-to place for refueling and relaxing! There is no greater reward for us than we have the opportunity to welcome a guest back again and again and to eagerly look forward to when we’ll get to see them again. Thank you for being one such guest and know that we are all awaiting your next visit already.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Watch Hill
#5 of 13 in Mystic
The Whaler's Inn
The Whaler's Inn
#1 of 13 in Mystic

Been to The Ocean House? Share your experiences!