“An exceptional place to stay”
Review of The Ocean House

The Ocean House
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Watch Hill
Reviewed February 11, 2014

If you want to visit a place that makes you feel special this is the place to go. From the moment you arrive you are made to feel welcome. The staff is great and very accommodating. The room is quite luxurious and the view of the ocean is fantastic.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words, I am so glad your visit was special. While the view is priceless, the warm weather will be here before we know it and we can all enjoy spending some time at the beach!

Daniel Hostettler

Reviewed January 23, 2014

This spectacular resort was exactly what we needed. We had to cancel a trip to Cancun, Mexico and decided to just get away for a weekend. I am very picky about details and this place did not let me down. In fact it went beyond anything I could have imagined!! I have been fortunate enough to stay in some of the nicest properties in the world and The Ocean House is right up there with the best!! Every little detail was thought of without being annoying or over done. We will be going back whenever we can.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Katya525
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

I am so pleased that what probably started off as a disappointment, having to cancel your planned vacation, turned into something wonderful! Thank you for giving us a try and for taking the time to share your kind feedback – I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Daniel Hostettler

Reviewed January 9, 2014

We decided on a Thursday to "get away" for a Saturday night. We chose the Ocean House because friends had recommended we visit. The reservation person was terrific, guiding us through choices and helping us make selections.

Once we arrived, the treatment by staff was excellent. We had reserved the Chef's special tasting during the reservation process, however, the hotel had accidentally overbooked the Chef kitchen counter. The characteristics of a great location is how they handle a screw up. The staff accommodated us by seating us at a table in the dining room, but gave us the Chef's Special Tasting Menu, with an exceptionally knowledgeable server, who knew every dish, how it was prepared, and unique characteristics.

The room was comfortable and spacious. The fitness center had all of the equipment we felt was necessary, and the staff, wherever we went were well trained, pleasant and helpful.

We compared this hotel favorably to the La Mamounia in Morrocco, another excellent hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RichardandMargot
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Thank you so much for sharing your kind words with us! I do apologize again for the mix up with regards to your dinner, but I am so pleased that your were happy with the accommodations we were able to provide and that our knowledgeable staff was still able to give you a wonderful dining experience. Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts and I hope you will come back soon.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

My husband and I spent 3 nights, mid week in early December at Ocean House. Our expectations were high and we were not disappointed. The property was lovely, decorated for the season with a new dusting of snow across the beach. We were warmly welcomed with champagne and escorted to our stunning deluxe grand ocean view room with 180 degree ocean views. No detail nor amenity was overlooked. Our dining experiences were great including a casual dinner at the bar with Timothy (more about him later), breakfast room service (yummiest scones ever!), Cooking through the Seasons, and a tasty dinner at the sister property, Winnepaug. Our spa treatments and service were top notch. Tanya is a gifted masseuse. The personalized service and attention to detail exceeded that experienced in several other Relax Chateau properties and is what separates Ocean House from all others. I've never experienced such extensive turndown service and I loved the iPad/eye glass wipes! But here are the two experiences that we repeat to our many well traveled friends: While dining at the bar and chatting with Timothy, I mentioned that our trip to Ocean House was a default vacation as we were intended to be in Barbados for two weeks. Alas, a medical condition of my husband's did not allow us to fly. Later that evening, we returned to our room to find an arrangement of tropical juices, spirits, fruit garnish, cocktail shakers, sand candles and rolled beach towels with a hand written note "We couldn't get you to the tropics, so we sent a little of the tropics to you!" Next, my husband stumbled in the fitness center and apparently scrapped his arm as was noted by the spa attendant. My husband was given a bandaid and all was fine. Several hours later we returned to our room after lounging in the spa to find a series of band aides and antiseptic cream on our vanity. Customer service and exceeding expectations,,,a true challenge in such an already acclaimed property. We most definitely will be returning, but not as a default vacation!

Room Tip: Our grand deluxe ocean view room was spacious with cozy seating areas around the gas fireplace. The...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

I do hope your stay with us made up for not being able to escape from the cold winter with a trip to the tropics! It’s wonderful to hear that you were able to experience so much during your stay – our culinary experiences, the spa and even a trip over to the Weekapaug Inn. We’re also glad we were able to make your vacation memorable and thank you greatly for speaking so highly of us to your friends. I hope you are able to come visit us again soon.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

This is an outstanding hotel with outstanding service. Yes, it's pricey...but totally worth it. From the time we arrived (and was greeted with a glass of champagne upon check-in) until the time we left (when the valet left a bottled water and snack in my car), the guests are continually pampered. It is over-the-top attention to detail and customer service.

The rooms are beautifully furnished and decorated, and each room is unique. The food in the restaurant was fabulous! The entire property is just absolutely stunning both inside and out. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: I stayed in a room on the top floor that was awesome. There were four windows in the sleeping area...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

We also cannot wait for you to come back! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and left feeling pampered. We all hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Our stay at the Ocean House was over 2 years ago but I did not write a review on Trip Advisor. Instead I gave then feedback on the survey form and then wrote to the General Manager. Neither generated a response. I am now motivated to tell about our experience because we keep getting mailings from them in spite of the fact that I have asked to be removed from their mailing list.

In short, we spent our anniversary weekend at the Ocean House with high expectations. The staff never met them. Our first breakfast included a cold cup of coffee. We told our waitress who immediately brought us 2 more cold cups of coffee. The coffee came from the same urn so we never did understand why she though it would be hotter. We asked to see the Manager who finally brought us some hot coffee but by this time we were through with our breakfast. I gave then what I considered to be feedback in the form of polite, constructive criticism which was twice ignored. I was not looking for any form of compensation but did expect some response.

We have told this story dozens of time to friends and family. We will never return and hope that we have kept some of our friends from spending a pile of money for shameful service.

P.S. As mentioned, my stay was several years ago but I could not backdate my review so it will say that I stayed in February, 2013.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
11  Thank dylgramps

I am so sorry to hear that your visit was less than satisfactory, as your experience at our property is not the usual. We take great pride in the fact that our guests so often leave us saying we far exceeded their expectations. I am also sorry that your previous attempts at outreach have gone unanswered – perhaps there has been a glitch as we do personally respond to every guest letter, trip advisor positing, and comment card as part of our standard communications protocols. We truly do care what our guests have to say, both good and bad, and would never intentionally ignore your correspondences. Our communications team handles all mailing and emailing list requests the moment they receive them, and as of yet we have not received your request to be removed from our list. Please send them an email at communications[at]oceanhouseri[dot]com with your information and they will handle that right away.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Sunday brunch at The Ocean House may be a bit pricey, but it is an experience you won't soon forget. The location overlooking the ocean is gorgeous, the building is eye-popping, and the variety of food that is served is incredible. Just go with a good appetite so that you can sample a bit of everything.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Sunday Brunch is one of our favorite parts of the week! So glad you enjoyed it- I hope you can join us again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Watch Hill
#6 of 6 in Misquamicut
Hilton Mystic
Hilton Mystic
#4 of 13 in Mystic

Been to The Ocean House? Share your experiences!