“Relaxing and elegant setting”
Review of The Ocean House

The Ocean House
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Watch Hill
Washington Township, New Jersey
“Relaxing and elegant setting”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

My girlfriend and I are both from New Jersey but she went to school in Rhode island and knew this hotel/restaurant well. Well, looking for a nice weekend getaway we came to Mystic, Conn. to go to the seaport. The next day we jumped over to the Ocean House for a nice champagne brunch before the long drive back to NJ.
Before we went inside, the both of us took a walk on the beach not 100 feet from the building. After a bunch of nice, romantic pictures we headed inside. At $54.00 per person, I can't believe how they make any money. Everything from the clam/oyster bar to the crepe station was the absolute best and well worth the money. The scenery itself is worth the money even if they served us McDonald's breakfast burritos. To top everything off, they had a live Jazz band playing to set the mood and add to the already perfect experience. 10/10 this place is amazing, I'm definitely coming back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rsb135a
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We are very pleased that you were able to join us for our famous Sunday Brunch while you were in the area. Our culinary team and our wait staff work very hard to make our Sunday Brunch the best in the area. Please come back again soon.

President & Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Turkish first
ct
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Thank you OH for the beautiful room and flowers we had the pleasure of experiencing during my birthday celebration. I can say with absolute conviction that any season spent here will become a great memory. The positive reviews are so on point as to the absolute quality the OH offers it's guests. The Spa has the best service and treatments you could want within the confines of this beautiful hotel. On arriving we had lunch before checking in, food and service perfect as usual. Dinner at Season's with the wonderful Patrick made for a special evening. Janice was a delight during the mustard making and cheese classes offered by the OH for the guests. From the moment you arrive, the valet and desk staff are greeting you with friendly smiles. The little things can be the most important memory when traveling. Looking forward to 2013 at the Ocean House!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank SSGCt
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for sharing your birthday with the Ocean House. We are thrilled that your stay was so enjoyable. Our OH! Spa is the only 5-star spa in Rhode Island and does not disappoint. We do have amazing wait staff and Patrick is at the top of the class. We look forward to seeing you this year as well.

Greenwich, Connecticut
Reviewed January 29, 2013

“Sitting practically on top of the beach, this complete refurb of an old, classic resort is nothing short of impressive. It’s truly the embodiment of an old-time era – modernized with every creature comfort imaginable. Nothing feels more like North Eastern ‘glamour’ than cocktail hour on the Verandah – both evenings we partook, sipping martinis while overlooking the sprawling croquet field and spectacular ocean vistas. After a nine-year renovation with an attention to detail that dazzles, this historic Rhode Island treasure reopened in 2010. The beachy-formal feel is a welcome addition to the handful of high-quality places to weekend on the East Coast.”

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Consigliera-S
Thank you for so thoroughly sharing the feeling that Ocean House gives one. We agree that this is a very special place and we are thrilled to share it with our guests. We hope you will join us again soon.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

My 2 friends and I just spent the weekend at the Ocean House and it was amazing. We spent the better part of the day getting massages and facials. Without question the BEST spa I have ever been! Immaculate, serene and the relaxation room is stunning. Our Hydrangea suite was gorgeous! The entire hotel is gorgeous. The staff was incredibly professional, warm and friendly. Exceedingly helpful. They will do their absolute best to make sure you are happy. We have stayed in many "luxury " hotels and this is by far the best service I have ever experienced. We are already making plans to return!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank tennisgirl9999
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are very pleased that you and your friends had such a wonderful visit. Our OH! Spa is the only 5-star spa in Rhode Island and we are so glad you were able to enjoy it. We look forward to welcoming you again next year.

Stonington, Ct.
Reviewed January 13, 2013

My wife and I decided to celebrate our 41st Anniversary by treating ourselves to a special evening at The Ocean House. From the moment I handed the valet my car keys and he not only extended us a warm welcome but wished us a Happy Anniversary, I knew that we were in for another special Ocean House experience. Our room had an unbelievable view and we loved waking up to the sound of the breaking surf. We enjoyed some quiet time in our room before dressing and heading down to the dining room. Once again their commitment to service showed. Pat, our waiter welcomed us and also congratulated us and the special note of thanks from the President that was waiting on the table was greatly appreciated. Our dinner was absolutely amazing and our waiter (Pat) insured that the dining experience was everything it should have been and more. A remarkable selection, all cooked to perfection. Honestly, when it was over, if they had told me that there was a mistake in my bill and I owed them more, I would have paid it without hesitation. A Gran Mariner by the fire after dinner, followed by a walk out on the veranda to enjoy the sounds and smell of the ocean was a perfect way to end a perfect evening. The next morning we slept in and enjoyed our coffee as we slowing adjusted to the fact that we were about re-enter the real world again. We'll be back, again and again.

Room Tip: Room 217 is dead center to the Ocean view but there's not a bad room in the building.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank REPE3
We are so thrilled that we could mark such a wonderful occasion with you and your wife. Your experience is what we strive for with each and every guest. I will be sure Pat hears of your compliments for his service. We would be honored if you would share your next anniversary with us too.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I'll keep this short and sweet. I asked at reservation, for no feathers. Then I indicated it on the intake form and also called before hand... The room was a full on feather bed, pillows on couch and bed etc. SO simple mistake right? Othet than the fact i might need an ambulance! Let the night go on!

We go to dinner, and are served oysters which are dry and stuck to the shells. The wait staff, rather than saying sorry come over and tells us "the oysters are not bad, but they could be fresher". I kid you not!!! Maybe this is just another simple snafu.

My wife decides to take a shower...the shower literally doesn't work. We call room service (for out $600+ room). They fix it in roughly and hour but leave the old parts in the shower stall.

We decide to make a drink in the room, our ice is not ice...warm water with black bits in it. The drinks that are complimentary have allready been opened and the draw below the mini bar has past customers receipts inside.

Seriously the list goes on, (dirty room service dishes, no headphones in the gym etc. etc) I felt like we were on candid camera! My poor wife!

We get home and they inform me by email that I'm getting 20 percent off our room. A whole whopping $120. What a joke.

An amazing building terribly ran. This isn't a joke, I stayed on Jan 1st 2013, I'm from Mystic CT and my name is Gary.

• Stayed January 2013
9 Thank GBirk
We are terribly sorry for your below-standard experience and know that no words will make up for it. We are further sorry that our attempt to rectify the situation was not to your satisfaction. We strive very hard to provide each and every guest with the best experience possible and we fell short this time.

hawthorne, nj
Reviewed January 2, 2013

You will not be disappointed. In fact, you will be eager to make another reservation (even at the $$$$ price your stay will cost, honestly you will not regret it). Fitness Center is great, check out the Fitness On Request videos, SUCH a cool amenity. Room and housekeeping impeccable. Common areas are also very tasteful and comfortable. Always enjoyed early morning complimentary coffee/capuccino/espresso in the comfortable lobby with lots of interesting artwork and coffee table books. Had three dinners and one lunch, at hotel and all were truly fantastic. Although every eating establishment was closed during my New Years weekend stay, I can't imagine eating anyplace else even if other restaurants were open. Don't hesitate, make your reservation now! Don't you deserve it?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dawnHawthorne_Nj
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment. We work very hard to ensure that every aspect of our guest’s stay and all areas they encounter meet the highest standards. We want to be sure our guests want to come back again and again. We will be sure to share your compliments with our hard working housekeeping staff and our talented culinary staff.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Watch Hill
#6 of 6 in Misquamicut
Hyatt Place Mystic
Hyatt Place Mystic
#3 of 13 in Mystic

Been to The Ocean House? Share your experiences!