“What a TREAT”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Watch Hill
hawthorne, nj
“What a TREAT”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

You will not be disappointed. In fact, you will be eager to make another reservation (even at the $$$$ price your stay will cost, honestly you will not regret it). Fitness Center is great, check out the Fitness On Request videos, SUCH a cool amenity. Room and housekeeping impeccable. Common areas are also very tasteful and comfortable. Always enjoyed early morning complimentary coffee/capuccino/espresso in the comfortable lobby with lots of interesting artwork and coffee table books. Had three dinners and one lunch, at hotel and all were truly fantastic. Although every eating establishment was closed during my New Years weekend stay, I can't imagine eating anyplace else even if other restaurants were open. Don't hesitate, make your reservation now! Don't you deserve it?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dawnHawthorne_Nj
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment. We work very hard to ensure that every aspect of our guest’s stay and all areas they encounter meet the highest standards. We want to be sure our guests want to come back again and again. We will be sure to share your compliments with our hard working housekeeping staff and our talented culinary staff.

Daniel A. Hostettler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Turkish first
Falmouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 2, 2013

WOW! This resort was amazing and worth every penny we spent. Wish we had returned for Christmas instead of the Equinox. Staff, food, accomadations, and location were absolutely spectacular. We took the martini making class and had a great time. Thanksgiving meal was awesome!
We are going to make this our new destination spot for special occasions.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kevin L
Rome, Italy
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Had a business lunch there last fall, and I have to say the place is absolutely gorgeous. Food is great, service very professional, but more than anything the building, location and view are really amazing.
If around, make sure you stop.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you. We are fortunate to work in such a beautiful location and are grateful to the many people who worked to bring her back to her full glory. We are pleased that you enjoyed your visit and hope you will return for lunch or even an overnight sometime soon.

Rye,NY
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We have known about this location for 25 years when it was a very faded grandeur type place. Still, there was nowhere quite like it at sunset when you could watch the sun setting in the bay and turn your head to see the colors displayed over the ocean. I was thrilled someone decided to take on such a special spot and keep it a hotel. I stopped by for lunch this summer on the way back from the Cape and had to wait so we headed to the beach to wait for a spot. It was like being transported to the Caribbean with cabanas and a bar on the beach. We walked up past the herb garden and the honeybees. I knew I had to come back to try out this amazing redo.
So we met our Boston friends for a night(we are from NY) as it is a great spot between the cities. The charming French manager greeted us. The room was well-appointed and loved the shower with river stones. The bed was wonderful with great Frette bed-linens and a nice down comforter. One improvement idea is to put in translucent curtains so the light comes in the morning as otherwise we opened the curtains open to the street. However, this is winter so NBD. The only disappointment was that we were not upgraded to ocean side as I hoped. Still you can see it a little and hear it. The biggest surprise, however, was dinner. We decided to eat at the hotel since everyone drove there from out of state. We expected a nice meal and instead had a culinary event with the most delightful waiter, sommelier, etc. The food was really elevated and complex. It made for a giddy experience. The drinks before the meal were so delicious I thought I would skip dinner and keep drinking. Just kidding, but everything was sublime. I don't suggest you forget your jacket as my husband did but this is a place where everyone wants you to feel comfortable and happy. The spa was also wonderful and I loved my holiday scrub but that dinner...This is a renovation with a restaurant worthy of the unique magnificent location.

Room Tip: If you can splurge, try to get ocean-side.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for such a glowing review. We are very pleased that you and your friends enjoyed your stay and that our staff made you feel so welcome and comfortable. We will share you idea about the sheer curtains as it is not a bad idea at all.

New York City, New York
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I took my family to the Ocean House for the day and night of Thanksgiving. My partner and I also stayed in July for a weekend and had a great stay, so we were very excited about the Holiday.

The Hotel is absolutely beautiful - incredible beachfront location, gorgeous rooms and common spaces - truly a stunner. We had two rooms - one a regular room on the third floor and the other a suite with a fireplace and large sitting area on the first. Both were wonderful.

We opted for the Thanksgiving buffet in the ballroom rather than the plated dinner at the restaurant. The food was good but the service was a bit harried. Not a big problem, would have done it again.

We had a really wonderful stay and left quite happy - However, there were some very serious problems with checkout/charges/authorizations after we'd left. Without going into too much detail, I was very unhappy to see that I had been charged more than twice what I signed for, and had additional large authorizations taken on my cards even after I'd paid in full.

I was, however, very happy and impressed with the professional manner in which hotel management handled my complaint. They admitted their error, were quick with their replies, and I'm happy with the way everything turned out.

This is a beautiful - and expensive! - hotel, and its location in the heart of Watch Hill on what I consider to be the nicest beach in Rhode Island, and the professional way that management dealt with my issue, will keep me coming back. For the price, the service at both the ballroom buffet and the front desk/checkout wasn't up to par and should be improved.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your patronage and your comments. When humans are involved, mistakes will happen and we do our best to rectify any errors on our part as quickly and thoroughly as possible. Excellent service is something we pride ourselves on and what we train our wait staff to achieve. I am sorry we fell short during your meal and will continue to strive for the highest level. We hope you will join us again to prove our dedication to our guests.

East Longmeadow, Massachusetts, USA
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Recently stayed at the Ocean House for a business meeting and I cannot say enough about the property, staff, location, etc. If you want to treat yourself to a luxurious stay, this is the place to go. Grand but cozy, wouldn't change a thing. Food, view and accommodations were beyond my expectation.

Room Tip: Rooms on ocean side have spectacular view from terrace balcony
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you. We enjoy hosting corporate guests and travelers and work very hard to be accommodating to their needs. We hope you will come back for a leisure visit next time.

Pasadena
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I stayed here last year and this is my first Trip Adviser review. From the moment I arrived to departure I was pampered. Everything is included! No tipping save for dinner. All amenities and snacks in the room are included. A beautiful fitness center and spa. All food is prepared using local produce. Beautifully appointed public spaces. Overlooks the ocean. I will go back.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
#1 of 13 in Mystic
Sandy Shore Motel
Sandy Shore Motel
#5 of 6 in Misquamicut

Been to The Ocean House? Share your experiences!