“Beautiful place”
Review of The Ocean House

The Ocean House
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Watch Hill
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Had a business lunch there last fall, and I have to say the place is absolutely gorgeous. Food is great, service very professional, but more than anything the building, location and view are really amazing.
If around, make sure you stop.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Thank you. We are fortunate to work in such a beautiful location and are grateful to the many people who worked to bring her back to her full glory. We are pleased that you enjoyed your visit and hope you will return for lunch or even an overnight sometime soon.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

We have known about this location for 25 years when it was a very faded grandeur type place. Still, there was nowhere quite like it at sunset when you could watch the sun setting in the bay and turn your head to see the colors displayed over the ocean. I was thrilled someone decided to take on such a special spot and keep it a hotel. I stopped by for lunch this summer on the way back from the Cape and had to wait so we headed to the beach to wait for a spot. It was like being transported to the Caribbean with cabanas and a bar on the beach. We walked up past the herb garden and the honeybees. I knew I had to come back to try out this amazing redo.
So we met our Boston friends for a night(we are from NY) as it is a great spot between the cities. The charming French manager greeted us. The room was well-appointed and loved the shower with river stones. The bed was wonderful with great Frette bed-linens and a nice down comforter. One improvement idea is to put in translucent curtains so the light comes in the morning as otherwise we opened the curtains open to the street. However, this is winter so NBD. The only disappointment was that we were not upgraded to ocean side as I hoped. Still you can see it a little and hear it. The biggest surprise, however, was dinner. We decided to eat at the hotel since everyone drove there from out of state. We expected a nice meal and instead had a culinary event with the most delightful waiter, sommelier, etc. The food was really elevated and complex. It made for a giddy experience. The drinks before the meal were so delicious I thought I would skip dinner and keep drinking. Just kidding, but everything was sublime. I don't suggest you forget your jacket as my husband did but this is a place where everyone wants you to feel comfortable and happy. The spa was also wonderful and I loved my holiday scrub but that dinner...This is a renovation with a restaurant worthy of the unique magnificent location.

Room Tip: If you can splurge, try to get ocean-side.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for such a glowing review. We are very pleased that you and your friends enjoyed your stay and that our staff made you feel so welcome and comfortable. We will share you idea about the sheer curtains as it is not a bad idea at all.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

I took my family to the Ocean House for the day and night of Thanksgiving. My partner and I also stayed in July for a weekend and had a great stay, so we were very excited about the Holiday.

The Hotel is absolutely beautiful - incredible beachfront location, gorgeous rooms and common spaces - truly a stunner. We had two rooms - one a regular room on the third floor and the other a suite with a fireplace and large sitting area on the first. Both were wonderful.

We opted for the Thanksgiving buffet in the ballroom rather than the plated dinner at the restaurant. The food was good but the service was a bit harried. Not a big problem, would have done it again.

We had a really wonderful stay and left quite happy - However, there were some very serious problems with checkout/charges/authorizations after we'd left. Without going into too much detail, I was very unhappy to see that I had been charged more than twice what I signed for, and had additional large authorizations taken on my cards even after I'd paid in full.

I was, however, very happy and impressed with the professional manner in which hotel management handled my complaint. They admitted their error, were quick with their replies, and I'm happy with the way everything turned out.

This is a beautiful - and expensive! - hotel, and its location in the heart of Watch Hill on what I consider to be the nicest beach in Rhode Island, and the professional way that management dealt with my issue, will keep me coming back. For the price, the service at both the ballroom buffet and the front desk/checkout wasn't up to par and should be improved.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your patronage and your comments. When humans are involved, mistakes will happen and we do our best to rectify any errors on our part as quickly and thoroughly as possible. Excellent service is something we pride ourselves on and what we train our wait staff to achieve. I am sorry we fell short during your meal and will continue to strive for the highest level. We hope you will join us again to prove our dedication to our guests.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Recently stayed at the Ocean House for a business meeting and I cannot say enough about the property, staff, location, etc. If you want to treat yourself to a luxurious stay, this is the place to go. Grand but cozy, wouldn't change a thing. Food, view and accommodations were beyond my expectation.

Room Tip: Rooms on ocean side have spectacular view from terrace balcony
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Thank you. We enjoy hosting corporate guests and travelers and work very hard to be accommodating to their needs. We hope you will come back for a leisure visit next time.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

I stayed here last year and this is my first Trip Adviser review. From the moment I arrived to departure I was pampered. Everything is included! No tipping save for dinner. All amenities and snacks in the room are included. A beautiful fitness center and spa. All food is prepared using local produce. Beautifully appointed public spaces. Overlooks the ocean. I will go back.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 12, 2012

This is the 3rd year we stay overnight for our anniversary and it gets better each year. We stayed in early November and were upgraded to their Atlantic Suite thanks to our "I Prefer" membership. We had the most amazing views, an amazing cheese plate and bread waiting for us, and our own bar for our use. The suite was gorgeous and spotless. We always enjoy the activities; Jonathon is a wonderful Sommelier and we learn something new each year. Dinner and Breakfast as always at Seasons is perfection. We have enjoyed the Bed, Breakfast, and Beyond package and plan to again. They pay attention to every detail and customer service is high on their priorities. We really enjoy visiting this time of year-well done!

We also love that they do things for the community; we enjoy the Christmas Cookie decorating party with our children; 3rd year now and will enjoy their Brunch with Santa just before Christmas.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MysticNick

Thank you. We are so pleased to hear from guests who enjoy coming back again and again. We hope you continue to celebrate your anniversary with Ocean House.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

My wife and I had been wishing to stay at the Ocean House since before it was built! In fact earlier than that as I had always admired the grand old hotel as a college student. Well it has been over ten years since I graduated and we finally fulfilled out goal-although only by taking advantage of a super deal through a Spa related website. Sadly this hotel would have been out of reach without it. We stayed for only one night over Veterans' Day but soaked up every minute of it. We enjoyed spectacular massages in the Spa and then marveled at the relaxation room as we enjoyed being the only people there overlooking the ocan as night fell. Every aspect of the hotel was more luxurious than we had previously experienced anywhere! We dined in the Bistro and had perfect cocktails. The next morning we had a light breakfast overlooking the ocean and then walked on the beach and through town. Before I knew it we were on our way. I have only the best things to say about the Ocean House as it exceeded every expectation- even though I had been building it up for years. I only wish more off-season deals would allow us to take advantage of this level of luxury more frequently.
Steve and Lindsay Nadramia
Long Island, NY

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sntravler

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Ocean House. I am thrilled that we exceeded your expectations and have to give credit to our wonderful staff that prides themselves on providing the best service anywhere. We do have lower rates and specials throughout the fall and winter on our web site, so be sure to check back often.

Warm Regards,

The Whaler's Inn
The Whaler's Inn
#1 of 13 in Mystic
La Quinta Inn & Suites Stonington

Been to The Ocean House? Share your experiences!